Hurley - The Defender

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Hurley - The Defender

Post by swoodley »

What a ripping performance tonight from Hurley.

As good as he can be as a forward, tonight showed that he is an exceptional defender.

The thing I liked most about his performance was that he was prepared to back himself and play the ball "on it's merits'

Unlike most defenders these days, he wasn't fixated on what his opponent was doing...he concentrated on the ball and was able to beat Riewoldt consistently on a one to one basis.

One of the best performances from a Bomber backman for some considerable period.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Re: Hurley - The Defender

Post by Bomber_Fan »

100% agree. Pears looked vulnerable when moved onto Riewoldt but didn't get a sniff while Hurley was there.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I know he played FB tonight but I think CHB is his spot. He and Pears are the next Jackovich and McIntosh

Hurley's closing speed on the leading Reiwoldt was incredible tonight - got his fist in nicely on several occassions

His best game for the club thus far.

Might I add I thought Fletch did a nice back stop, mopping up job. This is his future now....let Pears and Hurley take the Key Forwards and Fletch could play another season in his sweeper role.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Yeah, he's a bloody gun. It all started in his first game where he showed Tredrea up a couple of times. He just reads the play beautifully and positions himself superbly. He taught Riewoldt a lesson tonight.

Laughed my head off when a Richmond supporter complained on the train on the way home "all that talk about Riewoldt not being looked after didn't work tonight. He was held onto by Hurley all night and didn't get a free kick."

f****** LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

If anything, Hurley made sure he DIDN'T hang onto to him and just timed his spoils perfectly and made better position to take his marks.
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:Yeah, he's a bloody gun. It all started in his first game where he showed Tredrea up a couple of times. He just reads the play beautifully and positions himself superbly. He taught Riewoldt a lesson tonight.

Laughed my head off when a Richmond supporter complained on the train on the way home "all that talk about Riewoldt not being looked after didn't work tonight. He was held onto by Hurley all night and didn't get a free kick."

If anything, Hurley made sure he DIDN'T hang onto to him and just timed his spoils perfectly and made better position to take his marks.
Too true BD....it was good old fashioned defensive play...no holding, no mauling, no slapping arms....just one on one play and superb judgement in the contest
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Bomber_Fan
On the Rookie List

Post by Bomber_Fan »

swoodley wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Yeah, he's a bloody gun. It all started in his first game where he showed Tredrea up a couple of times. He just reads the play beautifully and positions himself superbly. He taught Riewoldt a lesson tonight.

Too true BD....it was good old fashioned defensive play...no holding, no mauling, no slapping arms....just one on one play and superb judgement in the contest
Yep and that's what makes him such a great player. He did it fairly unlike those cheats from Collingwood ie Reid, O'Brien
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

MUST PLAY DEFENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to find another forward because Hurley is needed down back.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Rossoneri wrote:MUST PLAY DEFENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Windy_Hill wrote:

You mean this guy?
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Ha ha..
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

What a performance! Total domination over Riewoldt who resorted to throwing Hurley's mouthguard away when Hurls dropped it. f****** childish prick!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:What a performance! Total domination over Riewoldt who resorted to throwing Hurley's mouthguard away when Hurls dropped it. f****** childish prick!
Haha....really? Someone ought to send Riewoldt the dummy he spat in the mail this week....
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

This shows what a smart football brain he has

He obviously heard that they had squeeled to Geish about holding on and took the strategy to make sure there was nothing going on knowing that the umpires would have blown the whistle at any hint of it.

Pear and Hurley are going to be premiership key position backmen one day
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:

This shows what a smart football brain he has

He obviously heard that they had squeeled to Geish about holding on and took the strategy to make sure there was nothing going on knowing that the umpires would have blown the whistle at any hint of it.

Pear and Hurley are going to be premiership key position backmen one day
Hurley simply made his objective "the ball".

Both he and Pears are ripping talent. These guys are going to be the best defenders in the game by the age of 24 I reckon.
Essendunny
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Rossoneri wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:

You mean this guy?
hahaha love it

We do have Gumby and Carlisle as well as young Steinberg coming through who can all kick goals. Plus Joe Daniher end of next year as well.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Absolute gun. I had a preference for him playing on the forward line due to his fantastic kicking, but what we have seen from his efforts on the backline ensures that he must stay there.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

BenDoolan wrote:If anything, Hurley made sure he DIDN'T hang onto to him and just timed his spoils perfectly and made better position to take his marks.
So clearly he hasn't been taking tips from SOS or Scarlett... :lol:
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Absolutely f****** slaughtered Riewoldt last night. Consumate performance. I think it's great that he can play both ends. Why do we have to necessarily settle him into one position? What a great luxury to have a guy who we can move around where we need him.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Love him down back.
Windy_Hill wrote:I know he played FB tonight but I think CHB is his spot. He and Pears are the next Jackovich and McIntosh
I sort of agree with you, but ultimately I think it should come down to who they match up on better each week. Also, with the way the game's played this week, you rarely get someone who spends the whole game at full forward anyway.

Either way, it so good having both of them. Pears was a great pick (pity about the first round that year :( ).
BenDoolan wrote:Yeah, he's a bloody gun. It all started in his first game where he showed Tredrea up a couple of times. He just reads the play beautifully and positions himself superbly.
Indeed.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.