Changes for Scum

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
filthy2

Changes for Scum

Post by filthy2 »

Predicated on:

Essendon had an injury scare yesterday when Cale Hooker was taken off as a precautionary measure in the match for Bendigo Bombers.

''He's had a pretty big workload this week,'' Bendigo coach Shannon Grant said. ''He was a little bit stiff so we thought we'd take the precautionary approach with him.''

Grant said he was impressed with Scott Gumbleton's effort and believed the key forward wasn't far off returning for Essendon.

''He was actually pretty good for us and worked hard all day,'' Grant said.

''I don't think he's too far off … He's stringing a number of games together now.

''He's certainly one that's going to be very important for us once he gets his opportunity to play senior footy.''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i ... z1SJVZAPt5

Based on that I'd say Hooks is to play VFL again next week as he has had 4 weeks off essentially and needs a full game.

We need a target at CHF. I'd bring in Gumby for that to release Hurls down back. Out Howlett injured (one assumes after bbeing subbed early....unlucky again ...been great)

Jobe comes in for Slatery (no brainer).

Hibberd is a lock at HBF for Dyson (unlucky)

Colyer needs to chase harder than he did in the 3rd quarter when he allowed Tippett to run away from him :shock: that led to the Crows only 3rd quarter goal. That was almost a droppable offence.

Scum won't have Waite, Jamieson and Joseph.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Changes for Scum

Post by robbie67 »

filthy2 wrote:Grant said he was impressed with Scott Gumbleton's effort and believed the key forward wasn't far off returning for Essendon.

''He was actually pretty good for us and worked hard all day,'' Grant said.

''I don't think he's too far off … He's stringing a number of games together now.

''He's certainly one that's going to be very important for us once he gets his opportunity to play senior footy.''[/i]

We need a target at CHF. I'd bring in Gumby for that to release Hurls down back. Out Howlett injured (one assumes after bbeing subbed early....unlucky again ...been great)
I knew what was going to be in here before I even opened it. I cant understand why you keep calling for this guy, when he has never done anything? Waite and Jamieson are not playing, and the real threat coming form Carlton is their pace, and our lack of it.

Did you see how we played in those five games where we went tall? Super stuff wasnt it?

Do you think because he was a number two draft pick, he is at some stage just going to come back and play like one? He isnt even being named in the better players for a VFL side that is getting flogged week after week, and only just last week kicked 1 solitary goal.

Why dont we just turn the joint into Hirdy's chocolate factory, and give games away if you happen to find the lucky ticket in the chocolate wrapper.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Want an extra target, bring in Carlisle. He's in form and deserves selection ahead of anyone else from Bendigo.
Essendunny
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

The need for a target at CHF can be taken care of by playing Hurley there this week.

With all the injuries they have at present, Carlton had Thornton playing as a key forward yesterday so we really don't need to load up on extra talls.

Carlton's danger men are their midfielders and small forwards so we need a team capable of playing on those type of players.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

In:
Watson
Hibbard

Out:
Howlett (inj)
Slattery

Should be the only changes considered. Bringing Gumbleton in, against a very small fast side, would be suicide IMO. Play him later in the year or early next.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

If Watson is right, he comes in. I don't really think we need a lot more changes. Watson was very effective in the forward line earlier this year maybe have him spend more time there in his first game back.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Hocking v Judd will be a great battle (and a crucial one).
Essendunny
filthy2

Post by filthy2 »

Just listening to Rob Shaw on SEN who said Gumby had a great game yesterday as did Shagga above. Quote, unquote.

But my calling for him to go CHF is tactical. Don't care if he doesn't get a kick...he takes a tall and we have the likes of Reimo, Alwyn, Melks, Zaka etc at his feet when it hits the deck. As a group I doubt we had such small firepower together as one during the 5 week nightmare. Change rucks at FF releases Crameri to their 3rd best defender and Gus to their 4th.

More importantly, releasing Hurls back to the backline means that he and Tayte take the 2 best tall forwards and releases Fletch to do his floating back thing he does so well.

And then you have the floating forward by Watto as pointed out.

Not worried about their match ups.....they will be worried about ours.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

They've had Gumbleton earmarked for this game for the last month. He'll play if it's dry.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
filthy2

Post by filthy2 »

Mmmmmm....we have the same source Gringo my Old Enemy. :roll:

Note that we are the Number 1 for coast to coast goals out of the backline in the comp. We rebound sensationally out of defense.

Be interesting to find out how many came from Fletch, Hurls and Hepp?
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

filthy2 wrote:Just listening to Rob Shaw on SEN who said Gumby had a great game yesterday as did Shagga above. Quote, unquote.

But my calling for him to go CHF is tactical. Don't care if he doesn't get a kick...he takes a tall and we have the likes of Reimo, Alwyn, Melks, Zaka etc at his feet when it hits the deck. As a group I doubt we had such small firepower together as one during the 5 week nightmare. Change rucks at FF releases Crameri to their 3rd best defender and Gus to their 4th.

More importantly, releasing Hurls back to the backline means that he and Tayte take the 2 best tall forwards and releases Fletch to do his floating back thing he does so well.

And then you have the floating forward by Watto as pointed out.

Not worried about their match ups.....they will be worried about ours.
So what your saying is we should have a decoy CHF... the most important position on the ground. That's just Stupid. We are fortunate enough at Essendon to have players that have great flexibility, why not use them? It's been working. I don't understand why everyone rates Gumbleton so highly, he's been injured for almost 5 years and even when he was up and about briefly last year he wasn't that great. Just because he was a number 2 draft pick doesn't mean he's a ready made gun. The guys a battler, I'd love him to be something else too but he's not.

In: Watson, Hibberd.

Out: Howlitt, Slattery.

If I was to do those upgrades in my supercoach team I would be wrapped!
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Colyer needs to chase harder than he did in the 3rd quarter when he allowed Tippett to run away from him :shock: that led to the Crows only 3rd quarter goal. That was almost a droppable offence.
Yes I saw that and was disappointed but on reflection Tibbert managed to just change his line slightly (like a bit of shimmy) and was out of the little guys reach. I still like the cut of Colyer's jib.

Not so sure about this call re Gumby in such a red hot game as against our old enemy. Perhaps the thinking is with their depleted backline we can exploit them with Gumby's height. If he does come in this could be a make or break game for him. Hmm... interesting to see the selection this week.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

An intersting discussion yesterday morning on SEN between Robbo, Lloydy and Dermie - just after they interviewed Hurls.

Fundamentally it was about the perennial question of whether he is a better back-man or forward?

Hurls take was that he needs to build his strength and endurance to be able to play as a dominant forward - but he was comfortable in either position and is happy to play as a 'swing man'

Dermie and Robbo both agreed that he puts more fear into any opposition if he is playing forward than back - given his aggression, talent and the regard that he is uniformly held in the AFL.

So where does he serve our club best ATM? With Tayte back in the side and doing well - you'd have to think that he should be played forward - particularly in the next 2 games.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

hurley wins games from the forward line.

as hird has mentioned he plays well anywhere. back, mid, forward.

id only be looking at playing hurley back when the opposition has a forward running hot. otherwise let him scare the beejeezus out of opposition backlines.

what a gun eh, one of the best players drafted in the past 5 years.(for any club)
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Staggy wrote:In:
Watson
Hibbard

Out:
Howlett (inj)
Slattery
Should be the only changes considered. Bringing Gumbleton in, against a very small fast side, would be suicide IMO. Play him later in the year or early next.
Yep I reckon they will be the only ins, they dont have a big power forward to trouble us so Pears and Fletch along with Hardingham and Hibberd will have their forward line covered allowing Hurley to terrorise their back half without Jamison.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Just play Hurley as they currently do. He doesn't need to play solely at one end of the ground. Just play him where he is most needed week to week or during the course of the game.

He is an excellent long kick for goal. We should use that asset. But he is also an excellent defender. We should also use that asset.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

I think Hurley will be a better forward than defender but I wouldn't mind seeing him down back this week. Carlton's midfield delivery can make hacks like Walker looks like a superstar.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Does shutting down opposing gun forwards while also getting the ball yourself not win games?

We played our best footy this year with one tall forward and the two rotating ruckmen. If Hurley plays back, there is room for Gumby.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

j-mac31 wrote:Does shutting down opposing gun forwards while also getting the ball yourself not win games?

We played our best footy this year with one tall forward and the two rotating ruckmen. If Hurley plays back, there is room for Gumby.
But then we will have 3 talls down back. If they play Henderson forward then Fletch goes to him, but who will Hurley and Pears get? The 2 midgets are too quick for them and so will Walker.

I think we may be too tall with Gumby in the team and also too slow, which has killed us previously at the 'G.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Maybe, but Fletcher could play on Betts. Who says he WILL take Henderson anyway?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.