Changes for Scum

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Re: Changes for Scum

Post by ZeroEffect »

I'm sorry for making you guys so upset with my opinion of Gumbleton. I just don't think it's worth picking a guy who's out of form for such an important match. Also if Gumbleton is selected who would you drop if Watson and Hibberd are also available. I guess the selectors will settle this for us on Thursday night anyway.

Filthy2, it's pretty ordinary to imply my opinion doesn't count because I've only posted 32 times... this is a forum after all. And Jazz, haven't you heard of doubles? :)
filthy2

Post by filthy2 »

No worries Zero it is a Democracy (almost :( )...but don;'t call someone stupid and expect a happy response. :wink:
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

swoodley wrote:
gringo wrote:
swoodley wrote:What I find most interesting about this debate on whether or not Gumby should play is that the majority of posters on here (and probably including you Filth) have spoken loudly about how the likes of Welsh, Reimers, Myers, Prismall, Dyson etc must string together a run of good games for Bendigo before they should be considered for selection in the seniors.

And then along comes Gumby....and you want him in the team even though his form with Bendigo has hardly set the world on fire.

Where is the consistency if others (particularly Reimers) have to bust a gut playing well for weeks on end before they get their DESERVED chance whilst you would hand Gumby a game on the basis that he might play better at the higher level.

Give me a break....he should not play in the seniors until he deserves to....and that is not until he strings together a run of strong performances.

He is not some f****** messiah who will solve all our forward problems!
Playing CHF in the VFL and playing as a midfielder (as Welsh, Reimers, Myers, Prismall and Dyson do) are two very different things.

Added to that is Gumby's poor run with injury, the need for us to see what he can do at an AFL and whether his body will stand up, the fac that he was taken number 2 in the draft and is accordingly more highly credentialled than the blokes you have named...the list goes on.
All of that is bullshit....he should only be played if he deserves it...so f****** what if he is a number 2 pick....if he is so damn good, then it shouldn't be too big a problem for him to actually dominate a few VFL plebs.

We saw what he could do at AFL level last year when he played 16-17 games...we have a reasonable indication of his skill set..he now needs to EARN a spot...not just be given one.
If Melbourne had followed your deeply flawed logic Watts would still be floundering in the VFL. As it is, he is now blossoming in the AFL.

Try and provide some reasons to back up your argument next time Swoodley. For example, rather than saying pick number 2 means nothing, provide reasons as to why this is the case. Think you could manage that next time, twinkle toes?
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

gringo wrote:
swoodley wrote:
gringo wrote:Playing CHF in the VFL and playing as a midfielder (as Welsh, Reimers, Myers, Prismall and Dyson do) are two very different things.

Added to that is Gumby's poor run with injury, the need for us to see what he can do at an AFL and whether his body will stand up, the fac that he was taken number 2 in the draft and is accordingly more highly credentialled than the blokes you have named...the list goes on.
All of that is bullshit....he should only be played if he deserves it...so f****** what if he is a number 2 pick....if he is so damn good, then it shouldn't be too big a problem for him to actually dominate a few VFL plebs.

We saw what he could do at AFL level last year when he played 16-17 games...we have a reasonable indication of his skill set..he now needs to EARN a spot...not just be given one.
If Melbourne had followed your deeply flawed logic Watts would still be floundering in the VFL. As it is, he is now blossoming in the AFL.

Try and provide some reasons to back up your argument next time Swoodley. For example, rather than saying pick number 2 means nothing, provide reasons as to why this is the case. Think you could manage that next time, twinkle toes?
You're a condescending smart arse sometimes Gringo but if you're peabrain is having trouble understanding my point, I'll try and make it a little easier for you to understand.

1. Gumbleton is now in his fifth season at the club and has played a remarkable 22 games.
2. He has had numerous injuries over that period which has severely curbed his ability to get on the park
3. These injuries would give him some leniency if he was still a 2nd or 3rd year player (but not now)
4. He played 16-17 games last year which gave him ample opportunity to showcase his talents.
5. As such, the club is aware of his abilities and does not need to play him in the seniors to determine whether or not he will make it.
6. Being a number 2 pick does not guarantee the player will be a success no matter how much we might want it
7. Jack Watts was picked and spent most of his first year playing for his school
8. This is his third season and he has been persevered with because he has been fit and they are short of key position players
9. Gumby has not been fit for any extended period and we are not short of KPP's
10. The coaching staff have talked about players earning their spot (see Reimers, Dyson etc)
11. Last time I checked, Gumby was a member of the same playing group as Reimers, Dyson etc adn so gets to play/live under the same set of rules

Is this clear enough for you Gringo?
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

ZeroEffect wrote:And Jazz, haven't you heard of doubles? :)
yes... but do you play doubles is the question :wink:
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

You're a condescending smart arse sometimes Gringo but if you're peabrain is having trouble understanding my point, I'll try and make it a little easier for you to understand.
Hey, do as the signature says and be lovin' rather than judgin'!!!
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

gringo wrote:
Hey, do as the signature says and be lovin' rather than judgin'!!!
Pot, kettle, black
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

really looking forward too tomorrow nights teams.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

little_ripper wrote:really looking forward too tomorrow nights teams.
Me too.

I suspect there may be a debut or two.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

gringo wrote:
Me too.

really....... Michael Ross a chance you reckon??
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
gringo wrote:
Me too.

really....... Michael Ross a chance you reckon??
Heard that he has been tearing it up at Bendigo ...
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

He has been good but is ultra skinny..... would be throwing him in the deep end a little.

Would prefer Dyson or Prismall to keep their place over him...
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

gringo wrote:Also, when you've got the time, it would be awesome to hear more stories about you and your mates playing poker? What a cracking read that was.
Well they are not exactly my mates, they are more like my cash paying private students. Some though will never learn, but if you're interested, feel free to pull up a chair.

Just on Gumbleton, I dont think we would learn anything from him playing this year. If he has a full pre-season, and can build into next year, we will find out if he is going to be of value or not. No one has anything to gain from him coming into the team now, and being a mile off the pace.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Well thay are bringing O'Hailpin in so I reckon thats just about Game Set and Match
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:Just on Gumbleton, I dont think we would learn anything from him playing this year. If he has a full pre-season, and can build into next year, we will find out if he is going to be of value or not. No one has anything to gain from him coming into the team now, and being a mile off the pace.
Well obviously now any discussion of this is moot (at least for this week), I think ultimately I agree with this; although I would not have been disappointed to see him in.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Also apparently we're shit, so we might as well bring Gumby in like how Melbourne persisted with Watts.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.