Elim Final- Bendigo vs Bullants

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Elim Final- Bendigo vs Bullants

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

2pm on Sunday afternoon... will be televised on the ABC as well, seems as though we are giving the majority of our guys a rest this week... dont like Bendigos chances.

B- H.Slattery Shinners Dyson
HB- Freezer Davis Ross
C- Browne Lonergan Colyer
HF- Dickson Gumbleton Steinberg
F- Silverlock Little Welsh
R- Jenkins Duscher Liddle
bench from- Biggs, Neagle, Quinn, Thompson, Campbell, Dunell, Kerridge*
little_ripper
Club Captain

Re: Elim Final- Bendigo vs Bullants

Post by little_ripper »

no licha. guess his wishes of one more game of footy for the year didnt come true... :(
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Which ABC is this being televised on?
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Sismis wrote:Which ABC is this being televised on?
Live on ABC one right now. Lonergan and Colyer both playing.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Bendigo have started really well, 3.2.20 to 0.2.2 nearing quarter time. Ricky Dyson killing it.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
ARCN
On the Rookie List

Post by ARCN »

we may be winning but its been a fairly terrible game so far. And Steinberg has kicked 2 of the worst goals i've ever seen
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

On top by 17 points. Pretty scrappy. Gumbleton quite poor. Duscher and Dyson doing ok. Both teams have missed a LOT of shots at goal.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Not a pretty game to watch at all.... in front but the Bullants have dominated. We are not sticking tackles at the moment, some of the guys out there look incredibly skinny...

Gumby's goal kicking has been woeful

Dyson, Duscher, Shinners and Lonergan have been solid.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

ARCN wrote:Steinberg has kicked 2 of the worst goals i've ever seen
Those were horrible. I don't understand how either of them weren't touched on the line.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

The skill level in the VFL is ordinary as best, this is horrible to watch.
ARCN
On the Rookie List

Post by ARCN »

Now that Steinberg goal was better
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

6 goal term by the Bullants... they lead by 1 point at the final change...

Must say I haven't been impressed by many of the EFC boys today... :|

C'mon Bendigo... would be great to come away with a win over Carl's reserve mob!!!!
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

1 point down at 3/4 time. Every chance, Bullants have been VERY wasteful.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Very disappointing result.... were 11 points up 7 mins into the last quarter... got overun big time once again. So annoying that EFC injuries have once again cost Bendigo a chance to be competitive in September.

A couple of Carl spuds in Casboult and Kerr doing the damage. Really missed Little, TB, Welsh, T.Slats to name a few today

1- Neagle- was he even on the ground....??
2- Dyson- started ok but disappeared after 1/4 time
3- Gumbleton- made a few contests but completely outplayed by Bower
5- Dickson- started well with a couple of goals but was shut down after 1/2 time
9- Duscher- our best by a very long way.... kicked 3 goals and threw his body into everything. Would love the club to rookie him in December
11- Freezer- struggled against bigger bodied players today
14- Lonergan- crashed in hard at the contests but didint get a lot of it
20- H.Slattery- did a very good tagging job on McLean
24- Browne- came into the game in the last quarter but very quiet before tht
25- Steinberg- kicked 3 goals but wasnt really all that effective
27- Davis- like Freezer struggled against the bigger bodied Bullants
32- Colyer- barely sighted which was a pity
35- Silverlock- had a great first half but disappeared after that
38- Ross- was ok in patches but was pushed off the ball too easily
41- Quinn- had a great game on Saad, tried his guts out today
46- Jenkins- didint get much of it
48- Dunell- took a couple of great marks but again is way too skinny
51- Campbell- outstanding game in the ruck, one of our best today
54- Thompson- only really sighted in the last quarter
56- Kerridge- this kid will be a top 30 pick this year, liked his work in the middle
66- Biggs- handy type but didint get a heap of it
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

The thing that I noticed more than anything else was how slight and how easily pushed off the ball our guys were.

Slattery, Dyson, Gumbleton - were very disappointing - not suprised I suppose.

Our kids need a big pre-season on the track and in the weights room.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I didn't see it all, but Gumbleton needed to lengthen his arms as the ball was regularly kicked over his head on a lead.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Don't get the chance to see Bendigo much...certainly not missing much. Gees that was a VERY ORDINARY GAME bearing in mind that it was a final. I must say, from what I've seen of VFL games in general I'm amazed at the overall standard...IMO it's little better than country footy standard, in fact I reckon some country comps like the Ovens and Murray would be better.

I can well remember the old VFL seconds sides playing the curtain raisers before the main game years ago ...(those were the days) and I don't reckon todays VFL teams would come within a Bulls roar of those teams.

To me, it just seems so unprofessional and this, in theory is supposed to be the second best standard of football in the land...but maybe I'm doing an injustice to the SANFL and WAFL here? I've not seen much of these comps over the years apart from snippets of the odd finals games. But gees they couldn't be any worse than the VFL surely. Maybe some of our interstate bloggers like Swoods in WA could make some fairer comparisons.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

pevfan wrote:Don't get the chance to see Bendigo much...certainly not missing much. Gees that was a VERY ORDINARY GAME bearing in mind that it was a final. I must say, from what I've seen of VFL games in general I'm amazed at the overall standard...IMO it's little better than country footy standard, in fact I reckon some country comps like the Ovens and Murray would be better.

I can well remember the old VFL seconds sides playing the curtain raisers before the main game years ago ...(those were the days) and I don't reckon todays VFL teams would come within a Bulls roar of those teams.

To me, it just seems so unprofessional and this, in theory is supposed to be the second best standard of football in the land...but maybe I'm doing an injustice to the SANFL and WAFL here? I've not seen much of these comps over the years apart from snippets of the odd finals games. But gees they couldn't be any worse than the VFL surely. Maybe some of our interstate bloggers like Swoods in WA could make some fairer comparisons.

The difference between the WAFL/SANFL anf the VFL - the former is full of players likely to be drafted to AFL, the latter is full of players overlooked by the AFL Draft
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I watched a fair bit of the game on TV (must have been bored because we had the bye?).

Yep, the standard was pretty poor, especially in the first half.

Yep, our Essendon listed players didn't really show that much. The smaller brigade (Dyson, Colyer, H Slattery, Lonergan) had a few touches but never dominated the game like they should if they are really AFL standard. The big guys (Gumbelton, Neagle) did nothing at all to suggest they can make it at AFL level. I thought some of the Bendigo listed players such as Shinners and Deutscher (spelling?) looked better.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

billyduckworth wrote:I watched a fair bit of the game on TV (must have been bored because we had the bye?).

Yep, the standard was pretty poor, especially in the first half.

Yep, our Essendon listed players didn't really show that much. The smaller brigade (Dyson, Colyer, H Slattery, Lonergan) had a few touches but never dominated the game like they should if they are really AFL standard. The big guys (Gumbelton, Neagle) did nothing at all to suggest they can make it at AFL level. I thought some of the Bendigo listed players such as Shinners and Deutscher (spelling?) looked better.
No .51 Campbell the Bombers ruckman was a standout, the rest, well, best forget.
If we are not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat ?.