Anyone for a quiz?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Hey!! I got one right! Come on down! OK, who am i?

I am a post World War II player. I played for the Bombers at some stage, but I also played for another VFL team beforehand. I am in a club's Team of the Century, but the club at which I am in the Team of the Century is not and never was a VFL/AFL club.

To be generous, I'll add the following clue, so you'll have something to check your answers against: If A=1, B=2, C=3…Z=26, the letters of my name (first name and surname only) sum to be 91.
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Bill Valli
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Damn you swooper, I've spent an hour or so flicking through books and was about to post the same bloody thing! Although it is William Valli, but was better known as Bill. I reckon you're right.... :x
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

BenDoolan wrote:Damn you swooper, I've spent an hour or so flicking through books and was about to post the same bloody thing! Although it is William Valli, but was better known as Bill. I reckon you're right.... :x
I can't hink of anybody else it could be.
Pretty sure he won a Poisoned Chalice - also known as Gardiner Medal - when he was with us.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Can the next question be something....easier lol
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swooper wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Damn you swooper, I've spent an hour or so flicking through books and was about to post the same bloody thing! Although it is William Valli, but was better known as Bill. I reckon you're right.... :x
Pretty sure he won a Poisoned Chalice - also known as Gardiner Medal - when he was with us.
Haha, the poisoned chalice! If it is him, I'm curious to know what Team of The Century he's made it to!
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

BenDoolan wrote:
swooper wrote:
Haha, the poisoned chalice! If it is him, I'm curious to know what Team of The Century he's made it to!
West Perth
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

swooper wrote:Bill Valli
Yep, well done. He played a handful of games for Collingwood, and played one solitary game for Essendon. And yes, he made the West Perth Team of the Century in a forward pocket.

For the record: 2+9+12+12 (Bill) 22+1+12+12+9 (Valli) = 91.

Your turn.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
swooper wrote:Bill Valli
Yep, well done. He played a handful of games for Collingwood, and played one solitary game for Essendon. And yes, he made the West Perth Team of the Century in a forward pocket.

For the record: 2+9+12+12 (Bill) 22+1+12+12+9 (Valli) = 91.

Your turn.
One game... shit, i would have never gotten that one.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

dom_105 wrote:One game... shit, i would have never gotten that one.
Yeah, to be fair i would never normally get obscure ones like that either. It's just that when i tried to think of someone obscure for my question, his name popped into my head because he was the answer to a pub trivia quiz night about three weeks ago!!! (He was the jackpot question, and no one in the entire pub got it!)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Yeah, to be fair i would never normally get obscure ones like that either. It's just that when i tried to think of someone obscure for my question, his name popped into my head because he was the answer to a pub trivia quiz night about three weeks ago!!! (He was the jackpot question, and no one in the entire pub got it!)
Did Bill Valli MC the evening?
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

BenDoolan wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:
Did Bill Valli MC the evening?
Thought he must have been a relative of JimmyC, for him to pluck that name out for the quiz.

Anyhoo, who am I?

I played first grade district cricket with Ringwood before switching to a career in footy. I have had my share of controversy and wouldn't be considered among the more popular people in the game. I have toured Ireland and am still in footy.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Nick Davis?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Brendan Fevola? Doesn't look like a cricketer but i know he's from Melbourne's outer-east.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

.....Excuse the double-guessing, but i'd also guess Stephen Milne - i don't know whether he's toured Ireland (i hope not), but he's an absolute prick of a bloke who i think we originally recruited from the eastern suburbs.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Brendan Fevola? Doesn't look like a cricketer but i know he's from Melbourne's outer-east.
He is from Narre Warren.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

A bit of a stretch, but Paul Salmon? He's a Ringwood boy. Don't know if he is still in footy though.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

dom_105 wrote:A bit of a stretch, but Paul Salmon? He's a Ringwood boy. Don't know if he is still in footy though.
I'm starting to think of the 80's era as well, but Fish wasn't controversial and you wouldn't regard him as unpopular.

Ringwood district cricket gets me. I think Neil "Nobby" Clarke played at Ringwood as well as Essendon, and Neil Peart (former Magpie) played at Ringwood also. Stuffed if I know actually.....
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

BenDoolan wrote:
dom_105 wrote:A bit of a stretch, but Paul Salmon? He's a Ringwood boy. Don't know if he is still in footy though.
I'm starting to think of the 80's era as well, but Fish wasn't controversial and you wouldn't regard him as unpopular.

Ringwood district cricket gets me. I think Neil "Nobby" Clarke played at Ringwood as well as Essendon, and Neil Peart (former Magpie) played at Ringwood also. Stuffed if I know actually.....

Yeah, bit of a wild guess that one, but i'm struggling to come up with likely candidates. I can remember Cupido used to play football for Croydon, but it wouldn't have been a player from this era.

Sheeds used to play cricket for Richmond, and he missed out on playing in a final for some reason. Most likely from that era.
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Nobody has got it so far, so I will add another clue.

I've played a part in more than one AFL grand final, but have never played in a premiership.