Gumby or Carlisle?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: Gumby or Carlisle?

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:Well, in the words from a former club champion in 2008 (passed on 3rd hand) - Gumbleton is no good and will not make it.
Was that Albert Einstein?

Must have been!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Well, in the words from a former club champion in 2008 (passed on 3rd hand) - Gumbleton is no good and will not make it.
Was that Albert Einstein?

Must have been!
No, it was Michel de Nostredame :wink:
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I like to think of Gumby as Harry Houdini. He's great at performing the disappearing act.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

There's 7 club B&Fs between our two head coaches - is the former club champion also now a coach? Tim Watson is also rarely backward in coming forward and he's a 4 time club champion.

Even when he strung some games together last year, I don't recall Gumbleton ever showing anything particularly inspiring. Injuries aside, it's really only blind faith that the believers have to cling on to.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
There's 7 club B&Fs between our two head coaches - is the former club champion also now a coach? Tim Watson is also rarely backward in coming forward and he's a 4 time club champion.

Even when he strung some games together last year, I don't recall Gumbleton ever showing anything particularly inspiring. Injuries aside, it's really only blind faith that the believers have to cling on to.

Being devil's advocate here, he did about as much in his first 22 games as most first 22 gamers do. Lets not forget that. Plus his confidence must have been shakey in most of those games because of his fragility.

2012 - one last chance. You never know
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

jimmyc1985 wrote:

No, not an AFL coach. He is a two time best & fairest winner though.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

BenDoolan wrote: No, not an AFL coach. He is a two time best & fairest winner though.
Would this player have played the same position that some assume Gumbleton will?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:

No, not an AFL coach. He is a two time best & fairest winner though.
Is he in the player manager game now?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Did he wear number 25?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

bomberdonnie wrote:Did he wear number 25?
Something like that
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:

Being devil's advocate here, he did about as much in his first 22 games as most first 22 gamers do. Lets not forget that. Plus his confidence must have been shakey in most of those games because of his fragility.

2012 - one last chance. You never know
But most 22 gamers are about 18-19 years old - not 23/24
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

IF he comes good injury wise, you have to think of him as a mature age recruit. And on that basis, he may not be a bad "pick up". In this day and age when more and more mature age players are demonstrating some value, Gumby may yet prove to be worth the time and effort.

Anyway, he's on our list for one more season at least - lets see wha transpires.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Windy_Hill wrote:IF he comes good injury wise, you have to think of him as a mature age recruit. And on that basis, he may not be a bad "pick up". In this day and age when more and more mature age players are demonstrating some value, Gumby may yet prove to be worth the time and effort.

Anyway, he's on our list for one more season at least - lets see wha transpires.
Windy Hill, I admire that you stick up for this guy and have done so for a long period of time. However, just because he was a number 2 draft pick doesn't make him an automatic gun. For a long time now you have been holding on to something that was never there. At best he is an ordinary footballer, prone to injury and obviously lacking a lot of skill. Many arguments have been made in his defence, but at the end of the day supporters want results. Gumbleton hasn't produced. Seriously, his role at the EFC is to recover from his latest injury. It's what he's doing right now. At the start of 2012 season he will already be behind the 8 ball. Even good players can struggle after having an interupted pre-season. He's going to come back a skinny injury prone beanpole like he always does. It's time to give up the dream and get in touch with reality.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:IF he comes good injury wise, you have to think of him as a mature age recruit. And on that basis, he may not be a bad "pick up". In this day and age when more and more mature age players are demonstrating some value, Gumby may yet prove to be worth the time and effort.

But you can't class him as a mature age recruit simply because of his age. Most mature age recruits have a stack of football experience behind them - generally playing several good solid seasons of VFL (or similar) before being selected as mature age recruits. Crumbleton has had ZIPPO football to draw upon. If he ever returns, he'll still have the "L" plates on - and will have them on for quite some time.

He'd probably make a terrific physiotherapist, chiropractor or surgeon. But as a footballer, he's a Leyland P76.
Essendunny
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Didn't we try to package him up to try and get Caddy? I think the club have given up on him but want to try and get something in return. Even if it's just a tin of sardines.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Windy Hille wrote:Didn't we try to package him up to try and get Caddy? I think the club have given up on him but want to try and get something in return. Even if it's just a tin of sardines.

I thought we were throwing Hooker and our 19th pick for Caddy?? Could be wrong though?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:

But you can't class him as a mature age recruit simply because of his age. Most mature age recruits have a stack of football experience behind them - generally playing several good solid seasons of VFL (or similar) before being selected as mature age recruits. Crumbleton has had ZIPPO football to draw upon. If he ever returns, he'll still have the "L" plates on - and will have them on for quite some time.

He'd probably make a terrific physiotherapist, chiropractor or surgeon. But as a footballer, he's a Leyland P76.

A full season of AFL is probably worth a couple of seasons of VFL for experience. PLus he has probably played at least a season at VFL level (not to mention a season at Peel Thunder). He has also benefited from being exposed to AFL training and coaching. BD, I reckon he does qualify as a mature age type player.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
A full season of AFL is probably worth a couple of seasons of VFL for experience. PLus he has probably played at least a season at VFL level (not to mention a season at Peel Thunder). He has also benefited from being exposed to AFL training and coaching. BD, I reckon he does qualify as a mature age type player.
Would be much better it all of this had been consistent, there have been large breaks in between the times he has played, trained and been coached.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Would be much better it all of this had been consistent, there have been large breaks in between the times he has played, trained and been coached.
Yep, I reckon he's played a total of about 40 - 50 games of football in his life (at VFL / AFL level) all fragmented and disjointed. I'd estimate a mature age player (at the same age as Crumbleton) to have played around 150 + games at VFL level - consistently performing and improving over that journey so that he gets a gig on an AFL list.

Gumbleton simply doesn't have any basis on which he can draw any development or improvement in his game whatsoever. He'd be starting afresh when he eventually gets back on the park.

Plus Crumbleton's exposure to coaching and training has been one year of a stale Kevin Sheedy, a 3 year journey with Mr Knights and a physical caning from Mr Quinn.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:
Yep, I reckon he's played a total of about 40 - 50 games of football in his life (at VFL / AFL level) all fragmented and disjointed. I'd estimate a mature age player (at the same age as Crumbleton) to have played around 150 + games at VFL level - consistently performing and improving over that journey so that he gets a gig on an AFL list.

Gumbleton simply doesn't have any basis on which he can draw any development or improvement in his game whatsoever. He'd be starting afresh when he eventually gets back on the park.

Plus Crumbleton's exposure to coaching and training has been one year of a stale Kevin Sheedy, a 3 year journey with Mr Knights and a physical caning from Mr Quinn.
We will know by September 2012 - lets bookmark this for then