2012 Interstate Match Thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

2012 Interstate Match Thread

Post by paddyl90 »

Hey all,

Just wondering what everyone's plans were regarding interstate matches next year. We have 5 games spread out over the season:

Round 3 v Gold Coast @ Metricon (Sat 14th Apr)
Round 9 v GWS @ Skoda Stadium (Sat 26th May)
Round 13 v Fremantle @ Subiaco (Sat 23rd June)
Round 16 v Port Adelaide @ AAMI (Sat 14th July)
Round 19 v Adelaide @ AAMI (Sun 5th Aug)

I'm aiming on attending all, I know Freo game will be a doozie to try and get a ticket but will try my luck! I've already purchased flights to Sydney for GWS game, with some airlines having sales on at the moment, which is worth a look at if you're interested in going to any of these matches. Also expect a huge contingent of bomber fans to hit the Gold Coast in Round 3, I went to Metricon for IR last year and it was amazing, nicest stadium I've been too (helps that it's brand new too). Would be great to see plenty of red and black up there.

Anyway just thought I'd start a thread to get some discussion / plans going for potential meet ups, flight prices, accommodation etc.

If you haven't gone interstate for a match, and are interested and can afford to it's a great experience, particularly when you win. I'm 2/3 with a 5 point loss, which is far better than our record over the past decade.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: 2012 Interstate Match Thread

Post by swoodley »

JP_45 wrote:Hey all,

Just wondering what everyone's plans were regarding interstate matches next year. We have 5 games spread out over the season:

Round 3 v Gold Coast @ Metricon (Sat 14th Apr)
Round 9 v GWS @ Skoda Stadium (Sat 26th May)
Round 13 v Fremantle @ Subiaco (Sat 23rd June)
Round 16 v Port Adelaide @ AAMI (Sat 14th July)
Round 19 v Adelaide @ AAMI (Sun 5th Aug)

I'm aiming on attending all, I know Freo game will be a doozie to try and get a ticket but will try my luck! I've already purchased flights to Sydney for GWS game, with some airlines having sales on at the moment, which is worth a look at if you're interested in going to any of these matches. Also expect a huge contingent of bomber fans to hit the Gold Coast in Round 3, I went to Metricon for IR last year and it was amazing, nicest stadium I've been too (helps that it's brand new too). Would be great to see plenty of red and black up there.

Anyway just thought I'd start a thread to get some discussion / plans going for potential meet ups, flight prices, accommodation etc.

If you haven't gone interstate for a match, and are interested and can afford to it's a great experience, particularly when you win. I'm 2/3 with a 5 point loss, which is far better than our record over the past decade.
Maybe we should get the club to fund your trips JP...you appear to have brought them luck :D
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

swoodley wrote: Maybe we should get the club to fund your trips JP...you appear to have brought them luck :D
I like to think so ;) Maybe a trip to Perth will help bring the end to the drought over past few years!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

"Perth, the final frontier....these are voyages of the Essendon Football Club"
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Interstate trips are fantastic. Boozing, some sight seeing, some more boozing and a football game somewhere along the way!

I enjoy going interstate but won't be this year as I am back playing. I was planning on going to the GC but we have a round 1 derby the same day!
watsongun
Top Up Player

Post by watsongun »

Too hard with footy
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Perth people and those that have travelled to Perth for a match, how did you find availability of tickets. I book flights to Perth for a week coinciding with our game against Freo over there in June. I've heard stories that tickets are pretty hard to get and you need to be quick. I'm assuming as Freo is the lesser club in Perth that membership isn't as high as what the WCE is experiencing at the moment, so ticket availability would be easier for the general public to purchase tickets ?? Hope it isn't as bad as I've heard!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Sorry.I'm no help.I get in through work when ESSENDON are Drawn to play any day Bar Saturday.Which normally would have me f*****.But this year,.... 8)
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

JP_45 wrote:Perth people and those that have travelled to Perth for a match, how did you find availability of tickets. I book flights to Perth for a week coinciding with our game against Freo over there in June. I've heard stories that tickets are pretty hard to get and you need to be quick. I'm assuming as Freo is the lesser club in Perth that membership isn't as high as what the WCE is experiencing at the moment, so ticket availability would be easier for the general public to purchase tickets ?? Hope it isn't as bad as I've heard!
I've been over a couple of times and found it pretty easy. I would contact the club and see what they have. You might have to book a hotel through them for a couple of nights. They sell to the public a couple of weeks out and you can always try through that method.
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I am definitely heading to GC. And with a bit of luck, I will be in Europe when we play in Perth.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

JP_45 wrote:Perth people and those that have travelled to Perth for a match, how did you find availability of tickets. I book flights to Perth for a week coinciding with our game against Freo over there in June. I've heard stories that tickets are pretty hard to get and you need to be quick. I'm assuming as Freo is the lesser club in Perth that membership isn't as high as what the WCE is experiencing at the moment, so ticket availability would be easier for the general public to purchase tickets ?? Hope it isn't as bad as I've heard!
I live in Perth JP and I always have trouble getting tickets except for really shit ones right behind the goals at the city end.

I tend to rely on local friends who are members of either club and who aren't that fussed about going....they give me their tickets for the game.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

swoodley wrote:
I live in Perth JP and I always have trouble getting tickets except for really shit ones right behind the goals at the city end.

I tend to rely on local friends who are members of either club and who aren't that fussed about going....they give me their tickets for the game.
Hmm...I don't care so longs I get a seat somewhere but ideally would love a seat behind that Subiaco end? I think it's called where they normally are. I wonder if the club organise tickets outside their tour packages. Would love a seat down that end. Would love to meet a few WA BTers if they're there! I've met a few on here and all great people.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

JP_45 wrote:
swoodley wrote:

Hmm...I don't care so longs I get a seat somewhere but ideally would love a seat behind that Subiaco end? I think it's called where they normally are. I wonder if the club organise tickets outside their tour packages. Would love a seat down that end. Would love to meet a few WA BTers if they're there! I've met a few on here and all great people.
Bomber supporters get their seats at the city end JP....Generally behind the goals on the 2nd level through the WA Bombers (but they are full and so you can't get good tickets that way)...general admission type tickets are on ground level behind the goals...that is where the cheer squad usually sit.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

swoodley wrote: Bomber supporters get their seats at the city end JP....Generally behind the goals on the 2nd level through the WA Bombers (but they are full and so you can't get good tickets that way)...general admission type tickets are on ground level behind the goals...that is where the cheer squad usually sit.

Ooo I'll take those ;) I know in Sydney this year they had an option to purchase tickets in the "opposition area"...hope there's something similar.

swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

JP_45 wrote:
swoodley wrote: Bomber supporters get their seats at the city end JP....Generally behind the goals on the 2nd level through the WA Bombers (but they are full and so you can't get good tickets that way)...general admission type tickets are on ground level behind the goals...that is where the cheer squad usually sit.

Ooo I'll take those ;) I know in Sydney this year they had an option to purchase tickets in the "opposition area"...hope there's something similar.

That was our cheer squad I was referring to JP
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

swoodley wrote: That was our cheer squad I was referring to JP
I'm pretty sure I know which end your talking about, the left of TV screen from commentary position. It's always decked out in red & black when games are played at Subiaco.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

JP_45 wrote:
swoodley wrote: That was our cheer squad I was referring to JP
I'm pretty sure I know which end your talking about, the left of TV screen from commentary position. It's always decked out in red & black when games are played at Subiaco.
That's right...it's the city end.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

I was told that the GC game (Round 3) is sold out already. That's impressive if that was the case! Must be a lot of Bombers fans heading up.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

i'll probably be at Sheedy vs Hird at the new Skoda stadium in Sydney.
bit of a historic event, first game in a new stadium.

might go to one of the games in Adelaide or up to the Gold Coast(could throw in a theme park visit). doubt if i will make it to Perth.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I'm finally making the trip to Adelaide this year. Going for the Crows v Dons game.

Being flown over and taken in a box by a company I deal with at work. Score!