Anyone for a quiz?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

OK kiddies, who am I?

I am the older brother of an AFL champion. I only played 35 VFL/AFL games (from 1975-79) and was regarded as a strongly built utility player. I mainly played at the same club as my brother but later played 4 games at Fitzroy. I then gave up VFL/AFL football and went to play for West Adelaide where I played in a premiership in 1983. My brother played over 300 VFL/AFL games, was a multiple best and fairest winner and a three times premiership player for his club. My brother also went on to coach at AFL level.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Kelvin Matthews? Leighs older brother?
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Leigh Matthews played in four premierships. 1971, 1976 (with Kelvin), 1978 and 1983. So, if the description is correct, it isn't him.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gossy7 wrote:Kelvin Matthews? Leighs older brother?
Negative Gossy, I think Kelvin played a few more games and I think he went to Geelong (not 100% sure though). Plus Leigh played in 4 premierships.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Ummm...Its not David Clokes brother Peter is it?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Larry Watson - Brother of Tim
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:Larry Watson - Brother of Tim
Shhpot on! Over to you now.......
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Who am I

I played as a ruckman although even by the standard of the day I was considered short for the position.

I am a two time premiership player, won a Crichton medal and captained the team.

I once had my own bus line.

I am......
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Don McKenzie

I think Billy Duckworth drove one of his buses
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

swooper wrote:Don McKenzie

I think Billy Duckworth drove one of his buses
Correct
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Which player in the 1990s wore four different jumper numbers in his senior career at Essendon?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

That would be Paul Hills with 49, 38, 33 and 11.
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

BenDoolan wrote:That would be Paul Hills with 49, 38, 33 and 11.
That would be spot on
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

In the bizarre R10 clash v St.Kilda in 1996 where the lights went out at Waverley, the match had to be concluded on Tuesday night with the remaining minutes of the match to be played out in two halves. Essendon had 5 changes to the team.

Who were the inclusions?
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

I know blumfield made his debut, but thats all I know.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Chris Daniher, Mark Thompson, Scott Cummings, Che Cockatoo-Collins and Ben Doolan went out, replaced by James Hird, Stephen Alessio, Danny Morgan, David Calthorpe & Justin Blumfield.

Interesting fact is that Justin Blumfield became the 1000th player to play for Essendon on that tuesday night.

Where did i find this information... Brad's old Essendon site. Its still floating around out there lol.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

dom_105 wrote:Chris Daniher, Mark Thompson, Scott Cummings, Che Cockatoo-Collins and Ben Doolan went out, replaced by James Hird, Stephen Alessio, Danny Morgan, David Calthorpe & Justin Blumfield.

Interesting fact is that Justin Blumfield became the 1000th player to play for Essendon on that tuesday night.

Where did i find this information... Brad's old Essendon site. Its still floating around out there lol.
Spot bloody on!

Glad I was part of history! I know St.Kilda were livid that we were able to bring James Hird into the team, and a St.Kilda supporter nearlty smashed the 3AW window when they gave James Hird a vote at the end of the game!
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

That certainly was a game like no other. Fair effort that 14,000 got out to the ground on a Tuesday night for what was essentially 35 minutes of football.

Ok, here's my one, and it's an easy one.

Back in 1988, when the country was gripped in bicentenial fever, a "NFL" sanctioned state of origin carnival took place in Adelaide (Dubbed Football 200, how original lol).

Less than 20,000 turned up to Football Park to watch South Australia defeat Victoria 102-42 in the Section One Final. Which player, who took part in that final, went on to win the Tassie Medal, for the the best player in the championship series.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

BenDoolan wrote:
dom_105 wrote:Chris Daniher, Mark Thompson, Scott Cummings, Che Cockatoo-Collins and Ben Doolan went out, replaced by James Hird, Stephen Alessio, Danny Morgan, David Calthorpe & Justin Blumfield.

Spot bloody on!

Glad I was part of history! I know St.Kilda were livid that we were able to bring James Hird into the team, and a St.Kilda supporter nearlty smashed the 3AW window when they gave James Hird a vote at the end of the game!
By the way, any particular reason why you were dropped?
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Paul Salmon The Big Fish