Serial whinger Malthouse

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

Serial whinger Malthouse

Post by Filthy »

about the new in the back rule saying we AFL is now weaker than netball.

Code: My cheat Clement can't get away with it anymore!

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html
The Man from Bomberland
Champion of Essendon

Post by The Man from Bomberland »

I agree with him. Hands on the back isn't a push in the back. Defenders can't even steady themselves now for an incoming kick without giving away a free kick. I think rule change is a farce.
Last edited by The Man from Bomberland on Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bombers till' I die
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

It will be interesting to see how Clement adapts to this rule change as he uses the tactic more than any other defender. However, it will affect all players to some extent - Lloyd, like other power forwards, also uses the tactic quite frequently to hold his man under the ball.

As was mentioned in the other thread about this, the chances are that this change in interpretation will be rigorously enforced in the early part of the season, then the players, coaches and fans will crack the shits and the umpires will back off gradually as the season unfolds, and by the time finals football is being played they'll barely police the rule at all.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

i might just go and sign up at the local netball club, its stronger and quicker these days :(
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

The game is a farce now. I was an AFL member but I might just throw that away and become an Essendon 18 member again. There is no way in the world I will watch another football game that does not involve Essendon. The A-league has more physicality about it, and is much more enjoyable to watch these days.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

5 years from now it wont be AFL it'll be f****** Riverdance, the way it's going.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

i mean why was it introduced? its not needed. I mean good on malthouse for challanging the rule, its a shit one
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Isn't Buckley on the rules committee?
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

DYSON#2 wrote:i mean why was it introduced? its not needed. I mean good on malthouse for challanging the rule, its a shit one
i agree with Dyson, the rule is bullshit and has no reason to be introduced, its another dig of the shovel for the grave of the game

and good on Malthouse for standing up against hte AFL, no one else seems to have the balls to.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

It would be fine if Clement just held his position, but he doesn't...he pushes off as do most players when they are behind.

There is no skill in that and I like the new change.

There's nothing stopping them using their body to out position an opponent but once they get their hands in the middle of someone's back. 9 times out of 10, they push and that is illegal.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

If they are going to change the rules, they should do it before the teams have delisted....The pies might have given clement his marching orders had they known this.....
sash
On the Rookie List

Post by sash »

I actually think they have gone to far with this rule.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It's ok to hold a player under the ball but what Clement does is cheating, he pushes his opponent under the ball and gets away with it.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

I think people are missing the point. The push in the back with both hands has always been illegal in the rule book, but never enforced by the umps. This rule just clarifies an existing rule, so it' no brand new rule change.

Players can still use their forearms & elbows to fend their opponents away in marking contests, just not both hands.

When Warwick Capper started taking speccies in the 80's by using his hands off his opponents back to get extra lift, that's when the umps started putting their whistles away on this rule. Up until then, you had to take marks like Vanda did - use your spring by getting your knee on top of someone shoulders - you only use your hands for marking the ball.

Great to see the old rule back & blokes like Clement, Michael O'laughlin & even Scotty Lucas will have to change their tactics by using forearms instead of hands to push off an opponent.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

CameronClayton wrote:I think people are missing the point. The push in the back with both hands has always been illegal in the rule book, but never enforced by the umps. This rule just clarifies an existing rule, so it' no brand new rule change.

Players can still use their forearms & elbows to fend their opponents away in marking contests, just not both hands.

When Warwick Capper started taking speccies in the 80's by using his hands off his opponents back to get extra lift, that's when the umps started putting their whistles away on this rule. Up until then, you had to take marks like Vanda did - use your spring by getting your knee on top of someone shoulders - you only use your hands for marking the ball.

Great to see the old rule back & blokes like Clement, Michael O'laughlin & even Scotty Lucas will have to change their tactics by using forearms instead of hands to push off an opponent.
Or their bums CC like it ALWAYS was before. Clement just pushes guys out of the contest and you had only to see Jimmy's reaction in that last Scum game to see what he thinks of Clement's "tactics".
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

This rule has disaster written all over it. Some decisions will be called and some wont. Very similar to the rule of chopping of arms. Will be a big talking point next year.
CameronClayton
High Draft Pick

Post by CameronClayton »

The only clarification that will be needed, is that what about push outs to the side of an opponent, instead of in the back. This is the basic difference between Clement's pushes (always in the back) & Lucas's push outs (usually to the side of a player).

So if any sort of pushing with both hands is now out, fine, then it cuts out any ambiguity.

And Filth, we obviously both remember Peter Hudson's huge arse that rendered most FB's of the time useless in marking contests.