Hurley - will he stay or will he go?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Hurley - will he stay or will he go?

Post by Gimps »

If he stays, he takes a pay cut compared to what he would get at GWS. I'm hearing from good sources, that it's pretty much just coming down to terms at the moment. How much coin he is going to drop by not going to GWS, and the length of the contract. I'm hearing it's going to be a 4 year deal at around $3.5 million - front loaded while we've got room in the cap.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Gimps wrote:I'm hearing it's going to be a 4 year deal at around $3.5 million - front loaded while we've got room in the cap.
seriously good money, we've really forked out! just get him to buy a house or 2, there are ways to make up the lost money from GWS no problems
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Jazz_84 wrote:
Gimps wrote:I'm hearing it's going to be a 4 year deal at around $3.5 million - front loaded while we've got room in the cap.
seriously good money, we've really forked out! just get him to buy a house or 2, there are ways to make up the lost money from GWS no problems
Surely one of our big backers can give him a gig as a company spokesman, representative, mascot, janitor etc..
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Industry words has GWS offering 5.2 million over 5 years.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

So if these figures are right it we are essentially offering 875,000 a season for 4 years, against $1,040,000 a season for 5 years. Although I expect both would be front loaded (GWS' offer would be particularly heavily front loaded I would expect given their diminishing cap allowances).

Is the difference of $1,700,000 over the life of the 2 contracts (although it would be unlikely to be that much, unless something drastic happens injury wise and his career is over after 4 years, given we would otherwise be offering him another contract after the 4 years was up) be enough to convince him to move to GWS.

Personally I doubt it would, very different to say the difference between what Geelong would have been to offer Garry Ablett Jnr as compared to Gold Coast.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

This amount of money is making me laugh.
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

ealesy wrote:So if these figures are right it we are essentially offering 875,000 a season for 4 years, against $1,040,000 a season for 5 years. Although I expect both would be front loaded (GWS' offer would be particularly heavily front loaded I would expect given their diminishing cap allowances).

Is the difference of $1,700,000 over the life of the 2 contracts (although it would be unlikely to be that much, unless something drastic happens injury wise and his career is over after 4 years, given we would otherwise be offering him another contract after the 4 years was up) be enough to convince him to move to GWS.

Personally I doubt it would, very different to say the difference between what Geelong would have been to offer Garry Ablett Jnr as compared to Gold Coast.
If I was earning that kind of coin, I don't think I'd bother chasing that little bit more by having to move to Sydney (c*** of a place to live) and spend my playing days at a ground in one of the shittest suburbs in the country. Move away from your family & friends, and go from a club with a massive supporter base - to a club that will have the same sort of struggles as the Swans.

If my sources are close to being on the money, he stays.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

BenDoolan wrote:This amount of money is making me laugh.
This

it's going to take me 20 years to pay off my home loan.... on that sort of money he could buy 2-3 houses like mine outright in less then 2 years

player managers would hate me cause I wouldn't be concerned about squeezing every cent out of a club, easy to say i know
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I don't begrudge them a cent. Millions of people benefit from their work.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Sismis wrote:I don't begrudge them a cent. Millions of people benefit from their work.
Same. But I do begrudge a lot of soccer players that earn ridiculous figures like half a mil a week.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:I don't begrudge them a cent. Millions of people benefit from their work.
Really? What basis do you structure their worth?

Hurley hasn't achieved one club award, let alone any AFL award. He has great potential, yes. But that's all at this stage. Same goes for Scully.

Is he worth THAT much in comparison to a Gary Ablett who has achieved a f***etload of awards at club & AFL level?

Seriously laughable.

I love Hurley to bits. He's MY boy. But achieve something first and then claim to be a million dollar man.
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:
Really? What basis do you structure their worth?

Hurley hasn't achieved one club award, let alone any AFL award. He has great potential, yes. But that's all at this stage. Same goes for Scully.

Is he worth THAT much in comparison to a Gary Ablett who has achieved a f***etload of awards at club & AFL level?

Seriously laughable.

I love Hurley to bits. He's MY boy. But achieve something first and then claim to be a million dollar man.
Wait till Hurley signs before saying he's calling himself a million dollar man. ;)
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I was reffering to professional sportspeople in general. In relative AFL terms it is very tough to gauge value. The salary cap itself skews value and when you introduce an exception to the normal rules it completely throws it out.

In this instance we attempting to calculate value in 5 years time which is nearly impossible. The tragedy of Mercuri was a perfect example of how badly this can go.

It appears ATM that we must hold on to him, so his relative value is determined by the extra skewed marketplace of this moment.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Sismis wrote:I was reffering to professional sportspeople in general. In relative AFL terms it is very tough to gauge value. The salary cap itself skews value and when you introduce an exception to the normal rules it completely throws it out.

In this instance we attempting to calculate value in 5 years time which is nearly impossible. The tragedy of Mercuri was a perfect example of how badly this can go.

It appears ATM that we must hold on to him, so his relative value is determined by the extra skewed marketplace of this moment.
This is exactly right, it can also skew in the other direction. When Lynch took the deal in Brisbane (I think it was 10 years at 120k per year), that was considered a lot of money, but by time he was coming to the end of the contract, he was the most underpaid player in the league.

I always laugh at how people think these blokes are overpaid. When you think about the overall contribution to the economy they provide, they are grossly underpaid.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Agreed. Our players are well underpaid..
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:
Sismis wrote:I was reffering to professional sportspeople in general. In relative AFL terms it is very tough to gauge value. The salary cap itself skews value and when you introduce an exception to the normal rules it completely throws it out.

This is exactly right, it can also skew in the other direction. When Lynch took the deal in Brisbane (I think it was 10 years at 120k per year), that was considered a lot of money, but by time he was coming to the end of the contract, he was the most underpaid player in the league.

I always laugh at how people think these blokes are overpaid. When you think about the overall contribution to the economy they provide, they are grossly underpaid.
Some are and some aren't IMO Rob. That's the crap system we have.

On one hand you have the absolutely oustanding players of the comp - Ablett, Judd, Franklin etc who are just poles apart from the average footballer in terms of ability and "drawcard" marketing point of view, but they are limited on their earning capacity because of the salary cap.

The below average player may be getting paid more than their actual worth/value because clubs are forced to spend a certain amount of their salary cap.

A player like Mark Williams was well over paid. There are many more like him at AFL level at every club.

I find it hilarious that Tom Scully will be paid more money than Gary Ablett Jr to play footy this year. Scully is not worth that money.

The scenario with Hurley is similar. Currently in negotiations with the club (where he wants to stay) will no doubt have a nifty little package put before him (to prevent GWS getting their hands on him). We could see a situation where he will be paid the same (if not more) than Jobe Watson at the club. To me, that's laughable.

This occurs because the AFL allows these new clubs free reign to spend what they like - while they restrict the rest of the comp.

Are you referring to the disparity from what the AFL rake in to what the players are limited in receiving? If so, then I thoroughly agree.
Essendunny
Rotorog
Top Up Player

Post by Rotorog »

boncer34 wrote:Industry words has GWS offering 5.2 million over 5 years.

Where the f#$@ does a club that has not played a single game in the AFL proper season get this sort of money (if the figures are true) to dangle before a player.
Is this some sort of freebie hand out from the AFL to kick start another of their "love child" clubs interstate? :?:
The Oracle has spoken.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Rotorog wrote:

Where the f#$@ does a club that has not played a single game in the AFL proper season get this sort of money (if the figures are true) to dangle before a player.
Is this some sort of freebie hand out from the AFL to kick start another of their "love child" clubs interstate? :?:
I'm pretty sure both Gold Coast and GWS were given larger salary caps to start.

The sort of deal mentioned would be heavily front ended so that by the time their young players are coming up for contract renewals, this type of contract would have reverted to a more normal amount thus makingh it easier for Gold Coast and GWS to pay their up and comers market value.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:
Rotorog wrote:

I'm pretty sure both Gold Coast and GWS were given larger salary caps to start.

The sort of deal mentioned would be heavily front ended so that by the time their young players are coming up for contract renewals, this type of contract would have reverted to a more normal amount thus makingh it easier for Gold Coast and GWS to pay their up and comers market value.
I think the Rogger was trying to ask where a club (who has no basis of the income required) to offer players millions of dollars to play for it.

Clubs over the years have established their wealth by memberships, merchandising, social clubs etc, etc, etc. How does a club that has just come together be able to pay it's players millions of dollars? Does it have a loan from the AFL in which to establish itself and pay it back over time?
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

These clubs have been given a start up fund. IRCC it's a total of around 25 million over about 10 years.