Bomber free agents at the end of the season

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Bomber free agents at the end of the season

Post by j-mac31 »

Restricted
A Monfries
B Stanton

Unrestricted
R Dyson
D Fletcher
D Hille
N Lovett-Murray
M McVeigh
H Slattery

I just hope we don't match an overpriced offer for Monfries. Well, you don't want to overpay for anyone I guess, that's kind of the definition of overpaying (S-M-R-T), but it sort of wouldn't surprise me - he's surprisingly highly rated.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Bomber free agents at the end of the season

Post by j-mac31 »

And a quick perusal of the league list doesn't throw up many good unrestricted targets. Unless Hodge wants to leave Hawthorn - couldn't see that happening.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Mostly not good enough or too old.

I don't know if Salopek or C Knights are still worth pursuing?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

j-mac31 wrote:And a quick perusal of the league list doesn't throw up many good unrestricted targets. Unless Hodge wants to leave Hawthorn - couldn't see that happening.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Mostly not good enough or too old.

I don't know if Salopek or C Knights are still worth pursuing?
Salopek's shoulder and knees are farked..
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Gee we have a mouth watering list of candidates
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Embarrassing really.
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

it's a zero risk year for us

can't see this free agency thing taking off at all
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Gnome Chomsky
Top Up Player

Post by Gnome Chomsky »

It is interesting to note that only St Kilda has more potential free agents (including both restricted and unrestricted) than Essendon. Considering St Kilda has just had a period of sustained success whilst we have had a period of mediocrity at best it seems we have held onto players too long (Slattery and Dyson are the most glaring).

I don’t have any imperial evidence however on face value Sheedy seemed to hang onto players too long, think M. Bolton, D McCalister, A. Hennerman et al..

And it is well documented that Knights got hired over Hardwick due to his more optimistic (deluded) assessment of the playing list.

My point is, this is more evidence that we are still paying the price for the Sheedy end years/Knights period.
States are not moral agents, people are, and can impose moral standards on powerful institutions - Noam Chomsky
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Gnome Chomsky wrote:It is interesting to note that only St Kilda has more potential free agents (including both restricted and unrestricted) than Essendon. Considering St Kilda has just had a period of sustained success whilst we have had a period of mediocrity at best it seems we have held onto players too long (Slattery and Dyson are the most glaring).

I don’t have any imperial evidence however on face value Sheedy seemed to hang onto players too long, think M. Bolton, D McCalister, A. Hennerman et al..

And it is well documented that Knights got hired over Hardwick due to his more optimistic (deluded) assessment of the playing list.

My point is, this is more evidence that we are still paying the price for the Sheedy end years/Knights period.
In fairness I think we keep this shit on our list because there has been nothing until recently to replace it... I guess this is due to bad recruiting by Sheedy so still his fault in a way
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

It's easy to blame Sheedy for his last few years, but remember he did a lot of good things after holding on to blokes/ recycling players. Prime examples are Dean Wallis and John Barnes. We might not have won that flag without them..
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Gimps wrote:It's easy to blame Sheedy for his last few years, but remember he did a lot of good things after holding on to blokes/ recycling players. Prime examples are Dean Wallis and John Barnes. We might not have won that flag without them..
Anyone else?
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

I thought their would be more debate in here about why Angus Monfries is in our top 9 player payments?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

robbie67 wrote:I thought their would be more debate in here about why Angus Monfries is in our top 9 player payments?
Must be cos he appeals to teenage girls - the club want to target that demographic - pity Angus plays like he is in that demographic.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Stants, Fletch and Gus won't go anywhere... wouldn't be too worried about losing all the others on the free agents list. Once Hurls and Ryder are signed up I don't think we have to be too worried about opposition raids on our list.