Father-Son Academy

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Father-Son Academy

Post by nmgilbert »

Interesting initiative that Terry Wallace is implementing at Richmond. All sons of past champions of the club will be invited to take part in a football academy from the age of approximately 10 years old. Apparently much of it will involve clinics and stuff run over the holidays with the aim of developing their skills sooner so that they can be drafted under the father son rule at a later date.

Sounds like a good idea, Essendon should look into it.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Like him or not, you've got to give Wallace credit for being innovative. This sounds like a very good idea.

I also like his idea for selection in the first preseason game where the best fifteen performers on the track get a guaranteed spot in the team.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

swoodley wrote:Like him or not, you've got to give Wallace credit for being innovative.
Absolutely. He's hiding his diffuse balding very well through a combination of solarium visits, 'Just for Men' and i suspect some Rogaine as well.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

hes been good for richmond and yet another good idea, i wouldnt mind seeing essendon adopting a similar approach. imagine the young kids doing skills clinics with todays stars. They'd find more passion to succeed and one day hopefully come back to play
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

he's a knob
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Although there are definite positives to the idea, there are also some issues in my mind.

The first is whether its great having 10yr olds getting their hopes up way before they should have to figure out if they're any good at the caper.

The bigger issue is that if this 'school' means the F/S selections play better at U18 level than the others, but they're only better since they've had technical training the other draftees will catch up on after the draft, they may look better than they actually are. That combined with the pressure to select F/S selections due to the name might mean you pick up some players at a higher price than you should.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

I hope all their Father Son prospects go on to be very very good...at lawn bowls.

I seriously hope these young kids aren't pressured to become Richmond footballers, I'd hate to see an 11 year old kid rocking up and seeing if he can better his 100 metre sprint time from last year, or see if he can now kick the ball further.
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

To be fair, I don't think he suggested starting them on a training exercise at 10, mearly to have them there at the club kicking a ball and getting some pointers on the basics, like many footy clinics run around the country.

As they get older, and show some promise, then they will step it up with more detailed help.

If it helps a 3rd round pick hit the park ready to go, then I can't see the problem myself. Having a life long link to the club would also be a benifit.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

He's copied this idea from European soccer. There aren't too many new ideas floating around these days. It's usually more a matter of finding an old one and adopt/adapting it.
snitzel
Top Up Player

Post by snitzel »

if ur father was a great footballer wouldnt he be helping you to become better?
You kick the bucket and ill swing my legs!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

snitzel wrote:if ur father was a great footballer wouldnt he be helping you to become better?
Yes, but we're talking about Richmond's Father/Son's (players from the last 10-15 years). They need all the help they can get!
snitzel
Top Up Player

Post by snitzel »

lol... nice
You kick the bucket and ill swing my legs!