EFC shitness at flying theory #1

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
little_ripper
Club Captain

EFC shitness at flying theory #1

Post by little_ripper »

This is a hypothetical thread.

Known fact, Brent Stanton hates flying. Petrified of it.

You know how when you are around someone who is anxious it can rub off?
Do you reckon the players, if they fly with Stants that is, just get a bit wound up.

(I would like to put it on record I am a stanton fan, not a basher and at any rate this is not blaming him!(but perhaps the club could send him on seperate flights with some nice psychologists to keep him calm).

Any other ideas why we are so woeful. I mean a lot of other clubs are not fantastic either(but many are pretty damn good. eg Sydney and Carlton come to mind as two decent travellers).
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: EFC shitness at flying theory #1

Post by BenDoolan »

We should recruit a pilot (perhaps the famous Captain Sullenberger) to train them on how to be good passengers on a plane :wink:
Essendunny
GoalSneak
Top Up Player

Post by GoalSneak »

We play like we are on drugs but downers, not stimulants so, no, I don't think we are hyped up by Stanton's terror of flying. I think we just lack the pace and talent, especially in mid-field, to play well on the big grounds we encounter interstate. We are actually not too bad on the smaller SCG.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

GoalSneak wrote:We play like we are on drugs but downers, not stimulants so, no, I don't think we are hyped up by Stanton's terror of flying. I think we just lack the pace and talent, especially in mid-field, to play well on the big grounds we encounter interstate. We are actually not too bad on the smaller SCG.
Thankyou. I am so sick of bullshit excuses from people who think we are better than we are.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

We were shit interstate before Stanton turned up.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I think it's just a mindset.

I did hear Stants suffers from general anxiety, not just fear of flying - anyone know anymore about this?
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Megan wrote:I think it's just a mindset.

I did hear Stants suffers from general anxiety, not just fear of flying - anyone know anymore about this?
This diagnosis makes sense - given his ability ... the way he handled (perhaps unnecessary) criticism last year is indicitive of depression ... anxiety is a side bar effect of this ..

but ... players from Jezza to Lynch to Carey have dealt with this (while Cousins, Krakour and Davis have not).

I suspect that the issue is being handled very well in house

\
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

How about we just toughen the f*** up and stop making excuses
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Windy_Hill wrote:How about we just toughen the f*** up and stop making excuses
About sums it up really... :lol:
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Shit teams habitually struggle interstate and we have been shit for the best part of 8-10 years.

Our record prior to that was reasonably good.

Now that we are improving, it is to be hoped that our interstate performances will also improve.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

s'dreams wrote:
Megan wrote:I think it's just a mindset.

This diagnosis makes sense - given his ability ... the way he handled (perhaps unnecessary) criticism last year is indicitive of depression ... anxiety is a side bar effect of this ..

but ... players from Jezza to Lynch to Carey have dealt with this (while Cousins, Krakour and Davis have not).

I suspect that the issue is being handled very well in house

\
It's a topic that holds a lot of interest to me, and yeah it would account for a lot and if it is true he's done a remarkable job to be even playing at AFL level in spite of his anxieties. I already respect the bloke but if this is true, my respect has grown excessively.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.