Vander Haar

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Vander Haar

Post by BERT »

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/a/Vid ... lying/9174

A interesting video on Vanda. For those too young to have seen him play he was a super player. Would take a hanger every week. Could play key forward or key back. Was a very important player in our flags in the 1980s.

He played very hard off the ground. Loved a beer and a smoke. Would go out on a Friday night before a game.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Vander Haar

Post by Windy_Hill »

Apart from FoJ, my favourite player of that era - what a player, but more importantly, what a drinker!!!
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I was at a 40th a few years ago that Vanda was at. There was 2 kegs of heavy beer and 1 on light beer. After a couple of hours the first keg of heavy had gone and we were well into the 2nd.

It was decided to just start giving some light beers out so we don't run out. They had been drinking for 3 hours. They won't know the difference.

Vanda came up for a beer and was poured a light. He had one sip, looked and then said to the barman, Can I get a heavy thanks mate, you have given me a light.

The only one there who picked up on it.
Itsmyshow
Top Up Player

Post by Itsmyshow »

What a champ Vander was.. Loved watching the way he played, didn't seem to care, but was just so damn good.
It's been less than a week since BJG joined the Red and Black, but already the world is a far better place.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Absolute legend both on and off the field.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

He was my fave player in that era...just loved watching him...
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Van der Haar

Albatross Pools - Warrandyte/Ringwood

Paul put my pool in about 7 years ago. Worked like a trojan and enjoyed a couple of cleansing ales at the end of the day.

Back in the 80's he turned up to training with a bottle of JD and a Scotch - when questioned by Sheeds he simply replied - "you said we needed more spririt at this club".

Tim Watson occasionally talks about a form slump that he had not long after his return from his knee reconstruction in 1986 - Van der was 'red hot' at the time so Tim decided to follow the form. A Friday night on the turps - night clubbing. Morning = hangover - a packet of Winnie reds and a couple of Dim Sims before the game. Tim was off the ground by half time - Van der was BOG.

Was always intimitadeted by the big finals crouds - so we never saw the best of him come September. However he was ALWAYS a key ingredient why we got there.

He and TD would always sneek over to the 'Bowls Club Bar' under the Showers Pavillion after we had a win at Windy Hill.

Champion footballer - Champion bloke!
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Vander Spa's... :lol: Love it!
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Loved that his prematch warmup was a chunder on the way to the ground ...

We shall not see his like again
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Definitely one of my big faves from that era too.
Pity he got injured a lot (especially in later years). He could have been even better.
His broken leg in 1986 arguably costs us the flag that year.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Ah, he was super. Champion CHB or CHF - it didn't matter. Would regularly take a spectacular mark (always seemed to juggle them more than vice grip them), kick bags of goals, left foot, right foot, didn't matter. Loved kicking long bombs from 60 metres out with a customary torp. And he was a terrific ground ball player as well! Can't imagine what he would have been like if he took the game more seriously.

Would have made a magnificent drinking coach!
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

"84 flag. Vanda bombs a big swinging torp into the forward line. Totally unsighted, Roger takes a single grabber on the goal line and scores.

Almost as big as Leon's blind turn (almost :D :D )
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote:"84 flag. Vanda bombs a big swinging torp into the forward line. Totally unsighted, Roger takes a single grabber on the goal line and scores.

That was the mark and goal that put us back in front for the 2nd time in the last quarter. The rest is history!!
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote:
rockhole wrote:"84 flag. Vanda bombs a big swinging torp into the forward line. Totally unsighted, Roger takes a single grabber on the goal line and scores.

That was the mark and goal that put us back in front for the 2nd time in the last quarter. The rest is history!!

What a grab from Roger....he could not have seen it at the last second as he was at the back of a big pack. It just stuck

Go to 4:45 into the video below for a better view

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Here you go lads - watch it and weep. He had an uncanny ability to tap the ball to himself in the marking contest rather than trying for the impossible one grabber in the packs

MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Thats a great highlight package. What was with Dermott head hunting in every passage he was in. That prick was an out and out thug.

One of those long goals he kicked at the G I am sure he had broken leg.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Fantastic package, Windy.

FMD, Vandar must have the record for being "coat hangered"
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark