Bombertalk Punters Club

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Bombertalk Punters Club

Post by Gossy7 »

G'day guys,

Just floating the idea out there that a few BT'ers could be interested in starting up a punters club between 10-15 of us.

Everyone chips in $50, so we have a kitty of around $500-$750.

Every week we put all of that money onto a favourite. Usually between $1.10-$1.30, being the sole responsibility of a member on their week, or the whole group chip in with their ideas of who to bet on. Obviously the idea is to make as much money as possible, 3-5k and can take their money out after that, or even invest in a share of a racehorse or a greyhound, or even just a big piss up at an essendon function with a big TAB. This can all be discussed later.

Put your name down if you think you would be interested and we can get the ball rolling from there.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Bombertalk Punters Club

Post by boncer34 »

I'm in. Though in Tassie my wish would be to take the cash out later. Since I wont be at any Essendon functions etc later on.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Sure, i'm in.

I think the better way to go about it though is not to get a pool and chuck it all on a $1.10-$1.30 chance each week - it'll get lost pretty quickly, $1.30 or better favourites get beaten nearly every week (Hawks last week, Carlton beaten by us, North beating Geelong etc). The better structure in my opinion is to pool the funds, give one punter each week the discretion to place 2-3 bets of his/her choice to a total of $50, and see how we go.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Sure, i'm in.

I think the better way to go about it though is not to get a pool and chuck it all on a $1.10-$1.30 chance each week - it'll get lost pretty quickly, $1.30 or better favourites get beaten nearly every week (Hawks last week, Carlton beaten by us, North beating Geelong etc). The better structure in my opinion is to pool the funds, give one punter each week the discretion to place 2-3 bets of his/her choice to a total of $50, and see how we go.
This

I am In but if we just put it all on a 1.30 favourite it will be gone in 3 weeks if we are lucky
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Count me in!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

bomberdonnie wrote:

This

I am In but if we just put it all on a 1.30 favourite it will be gone in 3 weeks if we are lucky
Hmmm it's an interesting one. I am in a few Punters Club and the one at the moment that seems to be going well is the one where all the money is rolled into the favourites. Our other one, there is 10 of us, started with $500, and are down to $350 after 6 weeks. Mind you, it is just a group of mates, not professionals, but it's a more tough option.

Obviously happy with whatever if people are keen though.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Gossy7 wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:

This

Hmmm it's an interesting one. I am in a few Punters Club and the one at the moment that seems to be going well is the one where all the money is rolled into the favourites. Our other one, there is 10 of us, started with $500, and are down to $350 after 6 weeks. Mind you, it is just a group of mates, not professionals, but it's a more tough option.

The odds are overwhelmingly in favour that at some point in the season you'll blow your money on the weekly favourite. I guess it's perhaps a bit easier this year because you have GWS who may not even win a game this year, but say you're punting on average a $1.15 favourite each week for 24 weeks, the odds of you winning for 24 consecutive weeks is 2% (assuming the bookies have the odds roughly right every week, and are making no margin) . That said, if you pull it off, you'll have made 28 times your money by the end of the year. Needless to say, the risk/return profile is asymmetric.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

multi the entire round this week on the favourites at the tab.(for the win).
there will be no upsets.

if they payout isn't good enough and you want to go greedy then up it slightly with saints v hawks either side under whatever it is.(ie a close result)

if you need any more punting advice just ask.

greed always gets you in the end though.
Itsmyshow
Top Up Player

Post by Itsmyshow »

I agree whole heartedly with this last post. Favorites will win every game this weekend.
It's been less than a week since BJG joined the Red and Black, but already the world is a far better place.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Gossy7 wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:

This

The odds are overwhelmingly in favour that at some point in the season you'll blow your money on the weekly favourite. I guess it's perhaps a bit easier this year because you have GWS who may not even win a game this year, but say you're punting on average a $1.15 favourite each week for 24 weeks, the odds of you winning for 24 consecutive weeks is 2% (assuming the bookies have the odds roughly right every week, and are making no margin) . That said, if you pull it off, you'll have made 28 times your money by the end of the year. Needless to say, the risk/return profile is asymmetric.
That is right so we are just as likely to win by putting it all on a 49/1 shot in the first week
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I'd be in for this.

Agree with Jimmy's selection. Someone's the boss each week - can place a limited amount of $ on bets at their discretion.
Last edited by Madden on Fri May 04, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Itsmyshow wrote:I agree whole heartedly with this last post. Favorites will win every game this weekend.
Famous last words! So You've had 9 winners every week?

I'm in.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

little_ripper wrote:multi the entire round this week on the favourites at the tab.(for the win).
there will be no upsets.

if they payout isn't good enough and you want to go greedy then up it slightly with saints v hawks either side under whatever it is.(ie a close result)

if you need any more punting advice just ask.

greed always gets you in the end though.
Itsmyshow wrote:I agree whole heartedly with this last post. Favorites will win every game this weekend.
Sydney beaten as $1.25 favourites tonight. Freo very lucky to scrape in over GC.

You two are banned from punting :wink:.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

It is very very rare to have a weekend where all the favorites get up. I always tip one or two upsets in my footy tipping and I'm currently on 39 tips (before this weekend).