Building The New Bomber Machine

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Building The New Bomber Machine

Post by Windy Hille »

Over a long period of time (since the early 2000's) we have seen our list go through a period of patch up jobs, tinkering, project players, one dimensional game plans and various "re-builds" with mediocre results.

I think we have finally got a strong team together with David Evans and Ian Robson at the helm which went out to get the best possible coaches to get the list playing strong sustained football. In just 18 months we have seen marked improvements across the board in fitness levels, skill levels, and now in strength and conditioning. They are playing for eachother, and they are playing with a purpose and belief.

Without getting too far ahead of ourselves, these guys (minus some damn important players at the minute - Hurley, Pears, Hibberd, Winderlich, McVeigh etc) are setting a platform on which we can launch a new successful era. I don't know where 2012 will take us, but I get a feeling that in 2 - 3 years from now we can be knocking on the door of something special.

Tonight was a delight to see the defensive pressure, the constant harrassment of the player with the ball, which was highly evident on Anzac Day. These guys used to leak like seives a couple of season ago. Teams were constantly hammering the 100 point mark week after week. Now they're finding us very hard to play against.

Well done Evans, Robson, Hird, Thompson & Co. May this marked improvement continue to rise.
Madden
Club Captain

Re: Building The New Bomber Machine

Post by Madden »

We're up and about. Just won two games in a row by 60+. The last time that happened was Rds 18-19, 2000.

I still doubt we will win the flag this year but it's a wide open season IMO. Who knows.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Windy Hille wrote: I don't know where 2012 will take us, but I get a feeling that in 2 - 3 years from now we can be knocking on the door of something special.
Forget 2-3 years - something special could be a lot closer than you think.

I just hope thay can do it before Fletch moves on
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Staggy wrote:We're up and about. Just won two games in a row by 60+. The last time that happened was Rds 18-19, 2000.

I still doubt we will win the flag this year but it's a wide open season IMO. Who knows.
That's a very interesting statistic, isn't it? And both times we took our feet off the accelerator a little at the end, so probably could have won by even more. I went to bed last night thinking to myself, that is the best I've seen us play in at least ten years. Then I woke up this morning and wondered if I had in fact dreamt the whole thing. So I came straight here on BT to check!! Hey, I didn't dream it, and, hey, maybe I'm not the only one who thinks that is the best we have played in a bloody long time (especially the third quarter).
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Have to say our defensive game has become very impressive. We are pressuring and harrassing the opposition for the entire game - all over the field. It's been the biggest shift in our development in the last 18 monts imo.

Under Knights (and Gary O'Donnell's non existent "defensive actions") our guys were just basically instructed to "take the game on". Of course, when it all came unstuck due to poor skill errors, we were burnt on the rebound.

The coaching blend is working. Some players have improved outta sight in the last 18 months - Crameri, Jetta, Stanton, Zaharakis, Melksham, Hardingham, Hibberd just to name a few. The team is playing as one - and even the fill ins are having impacts. Great to see. Just look at Ricky Dyson.

As for our defence in general, there were initial concerns because Fletcher appeared to still be the best out of the group. But all in all;

:arrow: Pears is still working his way back to peak fitness and form.
:arrow: Hooker is starting to be very reliable and solid.
:arrow: Hardingham has been terrific this year. He seems to have a new role - shutting down his opponent (a more stay at home style). I reckon he has been beaten only once this year. But he is very disciplined - knows when to spoil and knows when to mark. His ground ball efforts are also very good.
:arrow: Hibberd is a find. He's an excellent defensive player. And he'll only get better with the more games he plays
:arrow: Dempsey is fantastic. He wins his own ball, has great evasive skills and disposal skills to boot. Also provides plenty of run and drive out of defence.

As I said, I have been super impressed with our defensive game all over the field. And our actual defence is coming along nicely too.
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Oh, and a special mention to our midfield group. We might not be the most dynamic midfield in the comp, but we sure as hell give every opposition a tough time of it when it comes to the crunch. Certainly more often than not, we are winning the clearances - despite most oppositions having an absolute gun A-Grader or two in their mix.

Well done Simon Goodwin and our developing midfield =D>
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BenDoolan wrote:Oh, and a special mention to our midfield group. We might not be the most dynamic midfield in the comp, but we sure as hell give every opposition a tough time of it when it comes to the crunch. Certainly more often than not, we are winning the clearances - despite most oppositions having an absolute gun A-Grader or two in their mix.

Well done Simon Goodwin and our developing midfield =D>
Watson and Stants are A grade now make no mistake
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Not forgetting The Weapon at the helm.
Would you dare to argue with this Man???
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

A special mention to the"Aitch's" who are fast becoming the backbone of the team.

Hardingham,Hooker,Hibbard,Heppel,Hocking,Howlett.Hurley And of course coach Hird.

All in our best lineup.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Rover 7 wrote:A special mention to the"Aitch's" who are fast becoming the backbone of the team.

Hardingham,Hooker,Hibbard,Heppel,Hocking,Howlett.Hurley And of course coach Hird.

All in our best lineup.

Aind Aitch is the correct pronounciation, not Haitch as some lesser educated people tend to say
Rover 7
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover 7 »

Windy_Hill wrote:
Rover 7 wrote:A special mention to the"Aitch's" who are fast becoming the backbone of the team.

All in our best lineup.

Aind Aitch is the correct pronounciation, not Haitch as some lesser educated people tend to say
Thought it best left unsaid.
Leave you to correct yours.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

billyduckworth wrote:And both times we took our feet off the accelerator a little at the end, so probably could have won by even more. I went to bed last night thinking to myself, that is the best I've seen us play in at least ten years.
it's great we can rest up a bit for the next week, during the Carlton game i said this is the best we have played in 10 years and 3 weeks later we top that.... it's no coincidence, we are going place... fast!
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Cale hooker is an a grade defender. Gun. If the rumour of gold coast knocking back an offer for him for caddy are true. I think they might end up kicking themselves.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

little_ripper wrote:Cale hooker is an a grade defender. Gun. If the rumour of gold coast knocking back an offer for him for caddy are true. I think they might end up kicking themselves.
He's not A grade, not yet. However, in the first half last night in particular he was sensational. Will Pears get his spot back?
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

If he keeps his form up, watch him go close to aa selection. Hooker is our best defender.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

little_ripper wrote:If he keeps his form up, watch him go close to aa selection. Hooker is our best defender.
I will bare my arse in public and post it on YouTube if he gets AA.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Gimps wrote:
little_ripper wrote:If he keeps his form up, watch him go close to aa selection. Hooker is our best defender.
I will bare my arse in public and post it on YouTube if he gets AA.
I will put a front shot up
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Very true. A lot of credit hasn to go to Evans and Robson. These guys have done everything in their power to make the football club the best it can be. Everyone they have brought into the football department from coaches, fitness staff, rehab, etc, to making sure they we have the best facilities in the comp. Any advantages we can get these guys will take, and it is starting to pay off.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

little_ripper wrote:Cale hooker is an a grade defender. Gun. If the rumour of gold coast knocking back an offer for him for caddy are true. I think they might end up kicking themselves.
He is not A Grade.........but I now think he is capable of getting there. He needs to improve his disposal, decision making, and general poise.

It was Gumbleton and 19 we offered for Caddy, and after seeing him live yesterday. They did the right thing. Caddy will be a gun.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:

All in our best lineup.

You sound like Sam Newman.. he's a wanker :wink: