Jason Laycock

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Jason Laycock

Post by boncer34 »

Probably a bit early in the season for this but what the hell I'm bored.

A lot of us in here recently have been chatting about how we're going to chase a Boak or Caddy. Fact is we're going to have to come up with something acceptable and I think Hille is going to be the icing on the cake as lets be honest he's gonna be 3rd in line here next seasons. Thats nothing against him, he's still quality its just TB and Paddy have gone or will go past him.

The issue is if we trade him as the icing it leaves us with two ruckmen on the list. Yes JD will be signed but we're up shit creek without a paddle if we run a first year as a starting ruckman.

Thus I think we need to rookie list a former AFL standard experience ruckman if this situation eventuates. Why not Laycock?

It's not talent that stopped the big bloke it was injury which he is now over and he is dominating down in the TSL, which I do admitt is not the highest quality state league in the land, and he still regrets how his body failed him at Essendon.

Was almost tempted back to GWS by Sheeds for this year but decided to finish his apprenticeship so its not like he's averse to playing AFL football again.

Thoughts?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Jason Laycock

Post by robbie67 »

What I keep hearing is that Hille wants to be a one club player, and has no interest in going anywhere else. He may be interested in staying has a third ruckman, with a mentoring roll to the younger blokes at the club, or he may just retire.

To be honest, I would have more faith in Carlisle being developed a bit as an emergency third option, than having another failure from the past 10 years back at the club. Harsh, but how I feel.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

"IF" Hille was traded, I would look at him. Let's be honest, even though there has been success over the years, the % of players on the rookie list that actually make it isn't crash hot. I'd take Laycock as a back up. Only problem would be that we'd have to wait for someone to get an LTI.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Back to your fan club presidency Bonce (membership still peaking at 1 I see).

There's not enough pies in Melbourne to keep Laycock happy.

He had more than a fair chance to play AFL and he f***** it up.

To even mention him as a possible replacement for Hille is an insult to Hille who has never given anything less than a total effort.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Laycock, you're kidding, after the bagging poor old Gumby gets you wanna throw the Chook into the medical wing at Windy Hill

As Macca once said,

Let it be.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Windy_Hill wrote:Laycock, you're kidding, after the bagging poor old Gumby gets you wanna throw the Chook into the medical wing at Windy Hill

As Macca once said,

Let it be.
He showed more than Gumby ever has..
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Gimps wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Laycock, you're kidding, after the bagging poor old Gumby gets you wanna throw the Chook into the medical wing at Windy Hill

As Macca once said,

Let it be.
Bullshit....if he had applied himself half as much as Gumby has, he would have been a f****** superstar....instead he was a lazy f*** who is now "good enough" to make a Tasmanian representative team.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

boncer34 wrote:Probably a bit early in the season for this but what the hell I'm bored.

A lot of us in here recently have been chatting about how we're going to chase a Boak or Caddy. Fact is we're going to have to come up with something acceptable and I think Hille is going to be the icing on the cake as lets be honest he's gonna be 3rd in line here next seasons. Thats nothing against him, he's still quality its just TB and Paddy have gone or will go past him.

The issue is if we trade him as the icing it leaves us with two ruckmen on the list. Yes JD will be signed but we're up shit creek without a paddle if we run a first year as a starting ruckman.

Thus I think we need to rookie list a former AFL standard experience ruckman if this situation eventuates. Why not Laycock?

It's not talent that stopped the big bloke it was injury which he is now over and he is dominating down in the TSL, which I do admitt is not the highest quality state league in the land, and he still regrets how his body failed him at Essendon.

Was almost tempted back to GWS by Sheeds for this year but decided to finish his apprenticeship so its not like he's averse to playing AFL football again.

Thoughts?
I think if Hille retired and we recruited Joe we would be fine. The thing is both Paddy and Tom are young, entering the prime of their careers. Their bodies are AFL fit. They just are not going to break down as much as a young kid or an older bloke. This puts Hille at a bit of a disadvantage.

If Hille has a couple of years left in the body, he will want to play on.(he is 31, I think he might squeeze one or two more years out). If thats the case, I would not be surprised if he looked elsewhere for ruck spot. He would command #1 ruck at a few clubs in the comp I feel.

Don't estimate the quality of Joe Daniher at such a young age. Given he is touted as otherwise a #1 pick, I can only think he is probably like Matthew Kreuzer in being a young tall kid who will take to AFL footy pretty quickly.(1st year drafted I remember Kreuzer doing some handy things for Carlton).

EFC is still slightly top heavy imo. I reckon our recrutiers will look to supplement our senior list with two quality smalls through trading. One quite young and another hopefully in the prime of his career to give our current midfield group depth over the next 2-3 years.

Jason Laycock from what I understood had a real problem getting his body right for AFL footy. I don't know if "lazy" is the right word.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

swoodley wrote:
Gimps wrote:

As Macca once said,

Let it be.
Bullshit....if he had applied himself half as much as Gumby has, he would have been a f****** superstar....instead he was a lazy f*** who is now "good enough" to make a Tasmanian representative team.

Bullshit back at you. It's not about the amount of work that either of them has or did put it. Laycock showed more talent even when he was a lazy prick.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Gimps wrote:
swoodley wrote:
Gimps wrote:

As Macca once said,

Let it be.

Bullshit back at you. It's not about the amount of work that either of them has or did put it. Laycock showed more talent even when he was a lazy prick.
Well...I think we might just have to agree to disagree on that one...imo he was a lazy f*** who possible played one half decent game.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

might sound strange but given we have 1 too many tall key backmen at the moment, maybe Hooker can get into the ruck, but his around the ground stuff wouldn't be up to standard you wouldn't think

NLM?
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Jazz_84 wrote:
NLM?
Nice comedic work there Jazz.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

Laycock? Am I reading this right? While we're there, let's recruit Cupido. He was a talented but lazy c*** too, let's get them all back.
F*cking spare me.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

No. "Injury issues" my arsehole. He had the same "injury issues" as Rioli, Cole, Cupido etc - a permanent brain injury which precluded these players from realising the professionalism required to make the cut at AFL.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Jazz_84 wrote:might sound strange but given we have 1 too many tall key backmen at the moment, maybe Hooker can get into the ruck, but his around the ground stuff wouldn't be up to standard you wouldn't think

NLM?
NLM would get smashed in the ruck.

When Hooker first started getting regular games he played as the back up to Ryder when Hille was injured and did pretty well. Only problem is now he's playing really well in the backline.

I'd go for anyone in the VFL, SANFL or WAFL before Lazycock.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

To be honest Bonce, if the club did what you suggest, it would make the decision to ditch Josh Jenkins totally and utterly mental.
Essendunny
DYSON#2
Club Captain

Post by DYSON#2 »

does this mean letting go of joshy jenkins was a mistake, or a matter of letting him go to easily?
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

What's all this talk of writing off Hille? Sure Bellchambers has gone past him this year and he's been injured but things can change quickly in footy(suspension, injuries, poor form). As long as he's willing to play on next year we should keep him on our list. We are 1/3 of the way into the season ffs. Give the bloke a chance.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

DYSON#2 wrote:does this mean letting go of joshy jenkins was a mistake, or a matter of letting him go to easily?
I don't think it was either a mistake or easily. He wanted game time and was only going to get it at EFC if 2 rucks went down for long term so he could get upgraded. Adelaide needed him, so it worked out best for all.

Also, I have a feeling that this year Hirdy will try to target a good ruckman in the draft in preparation of replacing Hille. Paddy 24, Belly coming on, Hille to retire in the not too distant future, all this will give a draft ruckman 4 to 5 years to develop and learn (aka Belly), by then Ryder will be nearing the end of his twenties Hille ill probably have retired and new kid still only be 21/22...the hard part is finding the right kid for the team :)
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

Crazyman wrote:
DYSON#2 wrote:does this mean letting go of joshy jenkins was a mistake, or a matter of letting him go to easily?
I don't think it was either a mistake or easily. He wanted game time and was only going to get it at EFC if 2 rucks went down for long term so he could get upgraded. Adelaide needed him, so it worked out best for all.

Also, I have a feeling that this year Hirdy will try to target a good ruckman in the draft in preparation of replacing Hille. Paddy 24, Belly coming on, Hille to retire in the not too distant future, all this will give a draft ruckman 4 to 5 years to develop and learn (aka Belly), by then Ryder will be nearing the end of his twenties Hille ill probably have retired and new kid still only be 21/22...the hard part is finding the right kid for the team :)
I know...if only there was someone we had locked in....like a good father son pick or something...

:shock: