Cole

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
bueller
High Draft Pick

Cole

Post by bueller »

Dermie was saying that Cole had about 2 quarters and 9 minutes to show something keep his spot for next year.

Do you think it came down to that with Cole? I think Dermie was being a bit more dramatic than it actually was.

I think Cole looked very fit compared to halfway through the year and has obviously put some hard work in on the track.

He didn't do much last night and made a few errors including handball to opposition and sprayed kick into 50.

I reckon we'll keep him going but he'd need to keep improving or else he'll be shown the door by end of next year.
gottalovett
Top Up Player

Post by gottalovett »

THat was Coles best game for the year last night and week by week he will keep getting better and better, with a full pre season he will become one of the first picked each week, heaps of potential :)
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

Don't think he will be delisted, but he certainly needs to have a good year next year.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

pretty average last night but should be given the chance next year - full preseason will help
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

I heard that comment too. Another piece of Dermott garbage. If he pulls his finger out and does the right things he'll be a good player for us.

However, if Cole turns up to start pre-season in the same condition he did last year, you sack him on the spot immediately. No more bullshit; when a club throws you a lifeline, you don't piss in their pockets by turning up grossly out of shape 2 pre-seasons in a row.
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

Yep, he needs to show in pre-season that he's committed to being a good AFL footballer.

Could be a key for us. In what I've seen of him this year he looks like he doesn't nind getting in there and putting a bit of physical pressure on the opposition. Could develop into a better disciplined version of Solly.
R.I.P. Seattle SuperSonics 1967/68 - 2007/08
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

It was definately poor form to turn up in the shape he was at the start of the year. To his credit though, even considering the injuries he has suffered, he has worked very hard to get back into shape, and has put in extra work outside of normal training hours to do so.

Had a few clangers last night, but seems good in traffic, and normally is a god kick. His tackling is also superb. One player who tackles the right way, and makes it very difficult for the opposition to get out one he has layed one.

Should be kept next year, especially if Solly is traded, and based on his average form.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I just don't think he was desperate enough. He hardly chased his man when he made a lead inside their 50 and often didn't run hard enough when up the ground.

With this year's draft, why not delist him to make way for a talented kid who is more willing to perform.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

j-mac wrote:I just don't think he was desperate enough. He hardly chased his man when he made a lead inside their 50 and often didn't run hard enough when up the ground.

With this year's draft, why not delist him to make way for a talented kid who is more willing to perform.
Yea, but you can't just single him out. Lovett-Murray had a few terrible passages of footy yesterday where he just let his opponent run, or didn't put in the fist when he should have. Welsh also does the same at times, and zones off when he shouldn't. A lot of the problem comes down to midfield pressure. It comes back so fast sometimes, with the opposition running it straight down the center that it makes it very tough to know where your opponent will lead.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Should come good. Fairly happy with the way hes turned around his body shaped. Showed promise a couple of times last night.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I think the club has to shoulder some of the blame about Cole's pre-season condition. Surely given his track record along with his physical condition at the time he was recruited the club would have had a comprehensive program ready for him even before the official pre-season start???

I cant believe they just said welcome to the club, see you at preseason in 8 weeks?
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Windy_Hill wrote:I think the club has to shoulder some of the blame about Cole's pre-season condition. Surely given his track record along with his physical condition at the time he was recruited the club would have had a comprehensive program ready for him even before the official pre-season start???

I cant believe they just said welcome to the club, see you at preseason in 8 weeks?
Perhaps you're right WH; he was having problems at Collingwood with his training and physical conditioning prior to coming to us. Is it a fact that Essendon actually didn't give him any sort of regimen to do in between us trading for him and the start of pre-season, or are you assuming that's the case? If it is, i do find that very poor on the club's behalf.

However, i still don't like giving the guy a cop-out by placing too much blame on the club. If you got a new job with a company for which you were being well remunerated, and they said "Great; we'll start you off in three weeks. Just make sure you swot up on your knowledge of XXXX, because that's really important in the role we've hired you for", how would you present on your first day of work in 3 weeks time? Would you swot up like the company told you to, get a haircut, wear a nice suit and present yourself in the best possible manner? Or, would you not bother researching what you were told to, rock up looking like something the cat's dragged in wearing one of your crappy suits?
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

should remain next year, but will want to prove himself in 07
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

I'd give him one more year.

He's got the message, he needs to show what he's got.

If he doesn't improve dramatically, staying fit, being effective, then it's sayonara.

He'd be cheap, he'd be playing to prove himself, he'd've seen Rioli's demise and exit. He won't want that to happen to him...and his guardian might've had a word in his ear too!

One more year.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I agree. Give him one more year. I thought he showed some good signs against the Bulldogs.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Can't offload him now. For sure 1 more year.

Hes got some talent and he showed some glimpses of it, but again, lacked consistency. Has been riddled with injury and a good off season should set him up.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

didn't think he was all that bad on Friday night. Didn't get a hell of a lot of it, but did set up a couple of nice plays.

Give him a full pre-season and I'll decide next year on Him.
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

Shows how smart dermie is......You can't delist someone with a contract.

He'll be there next year.
swooper
Top Up Player

Post by swooper »

Give him a full pre-season and he could well be a very handy player for this club, maybe even a top-liner. Seems to be one who learns from his mistakes.
Ossie
Club Captain

Post by Ossie »

His second half was a better effort. He has another year, for sure, but he would want to pull the finger out during preseason and be raring to go come R1 next year.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine.