Did we think this through?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Did we think this through?

Post by Megan »

I wonder how many times the boys have looked up tonight during the game and given the ball off to the first red and black they see, forgetting that tonight, it ain't us.

I wonder if we would've been better off releasing the heritage jumper a month ago, long before we required it, giving us longer to train in it and 'recognise' it on the paddock (for lack of better words).
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Re: Did we think this through?

Post by robbie67 »

haha, One of the rare times tonight, I am having trouble telling the teams apart. Good job everyone involved. Money hungry f*** wits.
npskinner
Top Up Player

Post by npskinner »

the jumpers clash don't they? Shocking. Umpires decision to wear matching grey shorts to Essendon was also a genius decision by the AFL.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Unless there's a complete dogs-bollocks scenario, clash jumpers are always going to make it HARDER for awhile. Until everyone gets used to them.

Or possibly forever.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Ive noticed the same thing.

We probably should have single color socks on, either grey or even red.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

any man utd fans remember the year we introduced a grey strip - i think we went to some middle of the table club - got spanked 3 nil or something and the club never used it again. players said they couldn't see eachother! think a very similar thing happened tonight (well at least the 2.5 quarters of absolute shit I'v jusst watched).
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

tonysoprano wrote:any man utd fans remember the year we introduced a grey strip - i think we went to some middle of the table club - got spanked 3 nil or something and the club never used it again. players said they couldn't see eachother! think a very similar thing happened tonight (well at least the 2.5 quarters of absolute shit I'v jusst watched).
It was against Southampton and they changed the shirt at half time as the players claimed they couldn't see each other
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Windy_Hill wrote:
tonysoprano wrote:any man utd fans remember the year we introduced a grey strip - i think we went to some middle of the table club - got spanked 3 nil or something and the club never used it again. players said they couldn't see eachother! think a very similar thing happened tonight (well at least the 2.5 quarters of absolute shit I'v jusst watched).
It was against Southampton and they changed the shirt at half time as the players claimed they couldn't see each other
Yeah remember this... Was hoping we would do the same tonight
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

I have definately changed my mind.
That jumper tonight is utter crap and even the players thought so.
Not Essendon at all.
Where was the passion and the Pride?
Where was the animated Hirdy.
Seriously at times it looked like he didn't care...
Even Fletch and Jobe had shockers...
Burn that pathetic excuse for an Essendon jumper NOW!!!
I want the real Jumper that we play for and Never to see an imposter again...
Not Happy :evil: :evil: :evil:
Having said that it feels very strange as I watched the entire game but somehow feel empty and a Oh well attitude which is Not me... :wink:
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

After tonight's performance that strip should be banished forever. I didnt think it was so bad until I saw them run out in it. It just didnt look right. Now I think the fat sash would have been better.

We played a grey style of football !
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

I dare say if we have to continue wearing it, that its best that we train in it for the week.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Megan wrote:I wonder how many times the boys have looked up tonight during the game and given the ball off to the first red and black they see, forgetting that tonight, it ain't us.
Or they just played like shit.

When Hocking cleverly gave the no-look-behind-the-back handpass to the guy obviously calling for it and it turns out to be Montagna all on his own was that because of the jumper? Or when we kicked it long to three of their guys?

And if you are right about the red and black thing, we're f*****, because from now on we will always be wearing different colors against St Kilda in their home games, while they stick with red black and white.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It did happen a few times. Sitting at ground level the jumpers did get lost in the crowd a bit.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

The grey jumper made them blend into the grass.

I dont think this jumper can been worn until it is test run from a visibility point of view. It should have been trialled at pre-season. I know we were shite but I do think it actually had an effect on our ability to link up. The amount of times we plain turned the ball over was deplorable.

I admit I was all for it during this week but seriously I don't think it helped our cause.

The other thing that didn't help our cause was the selection committee. Why was Dell'Olio dropped ? Why was Hurley played ? Why was Hurley subbed out ahead of Reimers ? I think the players might have cracked it when Reimers was brought back on instead of Hurley. They could have at least just plonked Hurley in the square and told him - dont run. With Reimers, he was obviously blinking as if his vision was impaired on the bench. Sending a visually impaired player on in those circumstances was WRONG WRONG and WRONG !!!!!
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

The Phantom wore grey to blend in ...

From thinkquest ... a science project website for US junior high school students - http://library.thinkquest.org/27066/psy ... psych.html
Gray
Psychological Effect: Gray is the color of independence and self-reliance, although usually thought of as a negative color. It can be the color of evasion and non-commitment (since it is neither black nor white.) Gray indicates separation, lack of involvement and ultimately loneliness.
If a 13 year old US student can nail it ... why didn't the well paid brain-surgeon type marketers who developed the new strip consider the efffects on the players' on-ground under-pressure decision-making?

Yeah I know there were many questions re effort, coaching, selection, skills and coping with pressure ... but the gurnsey was directly responsible for a number of clangers last night (especially mid-long range passing errors).
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote:The Phantom wore grey to blend in ...

From thinkquest ... a science project website for US junior high school students - http://library.thinkquest.org/27066/psy ... psych.html
Gray
Psychological Effect: Gray is the color of independence and self-reliance, although usually thought of as a negative color. It can be the color of evasion and non-commitment (since it is neither black nor white.) Gray indicates separation, lack of involvement and ultimately loneliness.
If a 13 year old US student can nail it ... why didn't the well paid brain-surgeon type marketers who developed the new strip consider the efffects on the players' on-ground under-pressure decision-making?

Yeah I know there were many questions re effort, coaching, selection, skills and coping with pressure ... but the gurnsey was directly responsible for a number of clangers last night (especially mid-long range passing errors).
We have played like this when we wore red & black....
Essendunny
StanMan
Top Up Player

Post by StanMan »

Aren't we all hurting ??

I am an older guy having followed the Bombers since the early 1950's and for most of that time and for about 80 years prior, clubs played each other in their traditional strip with no problems. I am sick to death with this meddling AFL bullshit.

EFC was established around 1872 and St Kilda around 1911 so who should have changed a 'clash' jumper ???

I found the grey strip wishy washy and from my seat at home I could see it blending with the crowd and stadium background which may have accounted for many missed targets.

You play for the jumper and ours is a great one, but when we widened the red stipe some dickless halfwits at the AFL decided it became a clash jumper - bull f-cking shite.

Stanman
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Even watching at home I had trouble telling the teams apart, didn't help that the Saint are mainly red and black. Great that the umpires wore grey shorts too. Imagine how hard it would of been on the players spending there entire careers passing it in a split second to a red and black jumper. Then all of a sudden your in a similar jumper and your opposition is red and black. We are all creatures of habit and I am sure this wouldn't of helped us last night. It's the clash jumper that clashes. Stupid to use it against the Saints.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

they trained in the jumper ONCE during the week.... f****** once!!! should have been training in to for a month leading up to the game but noooooo the club wanted a good build up instead.... showed what they think was more important $$$
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

St.Kilda should have been forced to wear white shorts. North wore white shorts for their home game yesterday, as did Geelong last week and Freo when we played them. it's just common sense.