Expectations of Gumby

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
npskinner
Top Up Player

Expectations of Gumby

Post by npskinner »

I know it was touched on briefly in another post but what are your expectations of Gumbleton against Port and for the remainder of the year?
The fans general consensus over the last 12 to 24 months seems to be either one of two extremes:

A) Harsh on him for wasting the club & supporters time / a lost cause due to injury, or perhaps even harsh as he was "a wasted draft pick" & their is literally no sign of potential in him.

or

B) Feel sorry for his horrible luck with injuries, see some signs in his game of potential, & believe still that as a highly touted recruit / high draft pick that he must have something good to offer.

Now that he is definitely at the crossroads of his AFL career what do you expect of Gumby now and in the near future?

Foremost, I expect against Port:

- He gets through a full game
- is a marking presence & creates marking contests
- Competes and chases hard (should be a requirement of all players but as we saw last week it does not always happen)
- A reasonable amount of set shots / shots on goal (3 minimum)

For the remainder of the season I expect:

That he Proves he deserves to be on an AFL list by;

- Stringing several games together injury free (consistent or inconsistent)
- Kicking over 3 goals in a game
- Taking several contested or lead up marks a game (once he settles into the side)
- Displaying defensive pressure when / if he is not getting the ball
- Playing (at least 2) consistent and effective games in a row
- At some point look dangerous / damaging to the opposition or a marking threat (perhaps even for a half in some games)

Thoughts?

(If you read this after the game tomorrow please include your expectations of him for the remainder of the year)
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: Expectations of Gumby

Post by bomberdonnie »

Who?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I think he'll break through the banner unscathed.

That's about as far as I'm willing to predict anything with Gumbleton.
Essendunny
gumbyisback
Top Up Player

Post by gumbyisback »

don't f*** up as much as NLM
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Reckon he'll be there to take up some space. He'll do a couple of good things, but will end up with stats like:

2 kicks
3 handballs
2 marks
1 behind
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

It's been such a crazy unbelievable ridiculous story of injury and misfortune that I just don't even know what to expect any more.

The worrying thing, too, is that he hasn't exactly been ripping it up for Bendigo anyway.
To be frank/cruel, the only reason he is getting a game today is because Hurley and Ryder and Crameri are all injured. It's not like he has been "pressing" for selection.

Anyway, to try to answer your question...
(1) Yes, like Ben, I expect (hope?) he can break through the banner without breaking a fingernail.
(2) He needs to get through the game uninjured. That is an absolute bottom line. Doesn't even matter if he only gets one or two touches, he must at least SURVIVE.
(3) Then string together two or three in a row.
(4) Then the next big test will be when Hurley, Ryder, Crameri are ready to come back, has he done enough to keep them out? This I VERY MUCH doubt.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

I think most supporters just want the big man to get through the game with no injuries.... my expectations are not high for him today, would just like him to create a contest, take one of the PA defenders out of the game and make them accountable. If he bobs up with a couple on the scoreboard then good on him.

Go get em Gumby!!!! vingertje
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Gimps wrote:Reckon he'll be there to take up some space. He'll do a couple of good things, but will end up with stats like:

2 kicks
3 handballs
2 marks
1 behind
So you expect him to perform like he has been in the VFL so far this season.

As a member I expect every player selected to earn there place in the side. Gumbleton hasn't really earn't his spot for the game today, however these are special circumstances. So I understand his selection. The guy has been setup to fail, without good form in the VFL I can't see him performing well today even if it is against an injury depleted Power.

I really don't understand the hype around this guy. Even when he was playing injury free and was able to string games together he was performing poorly. I don't know if people have just forgotton that or choose to ignore it because he was a high draft pick. Having said that I hope he smashes it today and proves to be the player a lot of people think he is.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I have never understood the attitide that Gumby has gone out of his way to be a burden on the club; that he has deliberately re injured himself and taken the place of someone more deserving..

Bottom line is that he is a high draft pick, he has cost the club a lot of money and they want a return on the investment. If he makes it, it is a great bonus to the club and a credit to them for sticking by him. If he doesn't, then we put it down to bad luck and move on.

Simple as that.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

3 goals on the board now for the big Gumby!!!!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Great return considering the base he's working from. Well done Gumby =D>
Essendunny
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Great effort. I expect he will struggle next week, but he showed more than enough today, that he will either be very usefull for us, or get us something good at the trade table.
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

14 disposals and 3 goals...ill take that any day of the week. So good to see him out on the ground and get through it unscathed...was a great moment when he kicked his first goal of the day. :)
npskinner
Top Up Player

Post by npskinner »

I would never of guessed 14 and 3. Took a few marks, tackled, made a contest. Definitely a pass mark. As someone else previously posted, I don't think he will back it up, but if he can eventually he could prove very useful.

Our luck Gumby will come good just as Daniher arrives... :?
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

vingertje
=D>
:D

Gotta be happy with that!
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Three goals and a goal assist (great pass to Davey)

Laid some great tackles

Took one terrific mark

Looked like he belonged

Didnt get injured

Not bad for a guy who hasnt played at this level for nearly 2 years

Just imagine what he could if he plays 50 games
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

brilliant game vingertje

looked very good and will only get better, people saying next week will be harder, well lets hope that is offset by Crammers coming in to help him out
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Outstanding game.

If he'd played every game since her was drafted you'd have been happy with his output today. Considering it's his first game in who knows how long, it was simply brilliant. Absolutely thrilled for the bloke, as were the Essendon players. Onwards and upwards big fella! Nothing like hard work paying off.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

To come back to the title of this thread, definitely exceeded expectations today.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

robbie67 wrote: I expect he will struggle next week
Why?

Oh thats right, cant go giving out a compliment without then pissing all over it

Dont get you sometimes. Seriously
Last edited by Windy_Hill on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.