Depth

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Depth

Post by Windy_Hill »

What's depth got to do with playing like total shit?
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Windy_Hill wrote:What's depth got to do with playing like total shit?
Everything. You're only as good as your bottom six. How were NLM, Reimers, Davey, Myers, Dyson, and Hardingham tonight? And let's be honest, that was just the start of it.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

We won by 10 goals with essentially the same team last week. We were just crap tonight, nothing more, nothing less.

It doesn't help when your key forward is basically out of the game before started.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Here come the excuses.

Maybe we didnt play f****** witches hats this week.

Lol, I hope the people at the club have more brains, and actually do something about the list.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:Super win tonight - they seriously looked good.

The thing I kept thinking during the game was Bellchambers,Colyer, Zaharakis, Winderlich, Pears, McVeigh, Gumbleton, Davey, Monfries, Davey, Prismall, Slattery

Depth

Not all the above listed players are ready to walk into the team and in fact, only 2-3 could be considered in our best 22, But between them they have played 1019 games of senior footy.

Thats exactly what you want with your squad players 23-35

And we dont even know what to expect from the likes of Brown, Merrett, O'Brien, Kavanagh, et
How's our depth looking?
Bubble Boy: "Not too good!"
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:Lol, I hope the people at the club have more brains, and actually do something about the list.
I don't know, Hird has said NLM is in every week he's fit.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

With Hibberd going down, again the depth of the team is to be really tested in the next few weeks

Positive signs from Gumby is a real plus as it provides some coverage for Hurley

Bellchambers likewise covers Ryder

Still, the test will be the Cats and Hawks in successive Friday night games
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

How's our depth looking now dip shit? About the only decent thing to come out of this week is your dissapearance.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Robbie - go easy - we are developing.
Getting fitness into young legs, working on our 25 f****** year plan.

Anyone noticed we have 10 wins against sides outside the 8. Only 1 win against a side inside the 8?

What a f****** joke. Another f****** year of bull shit.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

tonysoprano wrote:Robbie - go easy - we are developing.
Getting fitness into young legs, working on our 25 f****** year plan.

Anyone noticed we have 10 wins against sides outside the 8. Only 1 win against a side inside the 8?

What a f****** joke. Another f****** year of bull shit.

Hey Tone - at least we're beating the sides outside the 8 this year.
Oh F*** Melbourne :oops:
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
gumbyisback
Top Up Player

Post by gumbyisback »

robbie67 wrote:How's our depth looking now dip shit? About the only decent thing to come out of this week is your dissapearance.
Your my hero Robbie keep up the good work.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

our depth is deep but only average, need a few promising kids like Geelong to bring in that have spend serious time in the VFL, we are forced to bring them in too early and shatter their confidence
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

We are a very young squad still. Sure, there are still players in the team that you would think will be pushed out in the future, but will take time.

Doesn't help that we have had the most games missed this year from soft tissue injuries, on top of the other impact injuries.

We have some talent to come back into the squad. Hurley, Ryder, Hibberd, Zaka, Hocking, Winderlich, Pears. We are also seeing some very positive signs from some of the guys in the VFL. Kav looks like he could become a very good player. Shows a lot of class, and is getting games under the belt after missing a lot of junior football with the hamstring issues.

Don't forget that we pick up Daniher next year. One of the best talls to come out of a draft in the last few years. Tall, quick, good kick. Doesn't guarantee a superstar, but very positive for us.

I don't know why some people on here follow football. Continually bitching and depressing.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Jazz_84 wrote:our depth is deep but only average, need a few promising kids like Geelong to bring in that have spend serious time in the VFL, we are forced to bring them in too early and shatter their confidence
Name one kid we have bought in too early this year or even last year? Heppell was a ready made player and is a star, so you can't say him.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

danstar84 wrote:We are a very young squad still.

I don't know why some people on here follow football. Continually bitching and depressing.

Your first statement is the sort of shit we have been spinning for a decade - "young", "developing", "building" blah blah.

Your second statement is because we have been addicted to the game since we were kids. We were lucky enough to see Watson, van der Haar, Duckworth, Daniher, Madden and so on.

You know I wouldn't be so pissed off if we'd gone down by a couple of goals, maybe even 4 or 5. But 11 goal hidings on Friday night football with an opponent who's been average at their best this year and missing a Brownlow medallist (Bartel), a 50 goal a year key forward (Pods), a speed demon (Wojcinski), and some dangerous talent (Varcoe, Menzel) is the shit I am depressed about.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

tonysoprano wrote:
danstar84 wrote:We are a very young squad still.

Your first statement is the sort of shit we have been spinning for a decade - "young", "developing", "building" blah blah.

Your second statement is because we have been addicted to the game since we were kids. We were lucky enough to see Watson, van der Haar, Duckworth, Daniher, Madden and so on.

You know I wouldn't be so pissed off if we'd gone down by a couple of goals, maybe even 4 or 5. But 11 goal hidings on Friday night football with an opponent who's been average at their best this year and missing a Brownlow medallist (Bartel), a 50 goal a year key forward (Pods), a speed demon (Wojcinski), and some dangerous talent (Varcoe, Menzel) is the shit I am depressed about.
Firstly, we are a young squad. Our top end senior players are Fletcher, Hille and Mcveigh. Two of which won't get a game when we have no injuries. The next small group are 26-27, Watson, Stanton, Winderlich, and the rest are below this, and a big bunch around the 21-23 mark.

Can you honestly say that we are not in a better position than what we have been since the decline started in 2002? Sheedy just went after bandaid fixes, and kept senior players around for too long. Knights did do a good job with recruiting and culling some junk off the list, but continued to give games to certain players that couldn't make the cut. This and last year have been an improvement on that. Sure, there are still guys who probably can't cut it still, but we need to give the quality young players that we have picked up time to develop.

As for the Geelong injuries, only Bartel and Varcoe will make a difference. Pods and Wojac are done, and Menzel is a young player who showed a bit, bit is by no means a superstar.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

ZeroEffect wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:our depth is deep but only average, need a few promising kids like Geelong to bring in that have spend serious time in the VFL, we are forced to bring them in too early and shatter their confidence
Name one kid we have bought in too early this year or even last year? Heppell was a ready made player and is a star, so you can't say him.
we played Browne for 2 games early last year I think it was and he looked completely out of place
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

We're not forced to bring them in - we continue to bring in Monfries, NLM and co.

And I don't believe any of this "shatter their confidence" rubbish. If they're going to be put off by being beaten a few times or not having great games every week, their too soft anyway.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Jazz_84 wrote:
ZeroEffect wrote:
we played Browne for 2 games early last year I think it was and he looked completely out of place
Wasn't he the sub in both his games? So what your saying is we are shit because Browne played a couple of quarters of AFL and had his confidence ruined? I don't know where your going with this.

It's our second year players such as Browne, Steinberg and Ross that haven't come on this year that we should be worried about and I don't even know what's happened to Davis. These blokes are our future.