Alastair Clarkson

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Alastair Clarkson

Post by BenDoolan »

Just in time for Friday night. What a hero....

Not to mention his performance after the R22 match in 2009. You Sir, are a f****** tool!
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Re: Alastair Clarkson

Post by bomberdonnie »

Not to mention swearing at a kids game of footy

Absolute cumstain
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

bomberdonnie wrote:Not to mention swearing at a kids game of footy

Absolute cumstain
Not that i condone his swearing, but he was trying to tell the umpire that both teams were kicing the same way, and the umpire would not have a bar of him! All he was doing was trying to get the game back on track that obviously the central umpire couldn't do.
Maybe he could of just said it without the swearing aspect.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

The AFL have said that they will not do anything about the juniors incident, leaving it up to that league, but surely they should fine or suspend him to reinforce the point that abuse of officials is not on.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

lozza89 wrote:

Absolute cumstain
Not that i condone his swearing, but he was trying to tell the umpire that both teams were kicing the same way, and the umpire would not have a bar of him! All he was doing was trying to get the game back on track that obviously the central umpire couldn't do.

You think? Surely if he was pointing out the fact that both teams were kicking the same way he was entitled to call the umpire a f#ckwit? I do it all the time. For example, last night a waitress gave me my wife's meal, and my meal to my wife. I simply said "you've made a mistake, f#ckwit". The world works much better when people speak to each other in this manner, more so when there are young impressionable children around.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

gringo wrote:
lozza89 wrote:

Absolute cumstain

You think? Surely if he was pointing out the fact that both teams were kicking the same way he was entitled to call the umpire a f#ckwit? I do it all the time. For example, last night a waitress gave me my wife's meal, and my meal to my wife. I simply said "you've made a mistake, f#ckwit". The world works much better when people speak to each other in this manner, more so when there are young impressionable children around.
That's very funny and it would be even funnier if it was true.

I'll side with Clarkson on this one. Those umpires and officials at junior footy matches often take the high and mighty ground. I can just imagine Clarkson pointing it out to the umpire and the ump just not listening. It's what they do. I would swear at the official if he/she wasn't listening to me and just yelling at me to get off the ground. The bloke was just trying to help out and do the right thing for the umpires and players. Being in a footy environment even if was only under 9's the kids would be used to swearing anyway. Clarkson is still a flog though.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

ZeroEffect wrote:
gringo wrote:
lozza89 wrote:

Absolute cumstain

I'll side with Clarkson on this one. Those umpires and officials at junior footy matches often take the high and mighty ground. I can just imagine Clarkson pointing it out to the umpire and the ump just not listening. It's what they do. I would swear at the official if he/she wasn't listening to me and just yelling at me to get off the ground. The bloke was just trying to help out and do the right thing for the umpires and players. Being in a footy environment even if was only under 9's the kids would be used to swearing anyway. Clarkson is still a flog though.
I agree and in fact I would kick the c*** out of the bloke if he dared to ignore my sage words... I would also encourage the children to watch as I removed his teeth with my ZU shoe
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

What's with people getting on their moral high horse. He lost his cool and apologised for it. Big woop.

My only issue with him was how he acted like a little bitch after the Round 22 game in 2009.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

You do realise that it was an under 9s game don't you?
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

ZeroEffect wrote:
gringo wrote:
lozza89 wrote:

Absolute cumstain

They are 7 and 8 year old kids. I would hope that coaches, runners, team managers wouldn't swear around kids that age.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

JP_32 wrote:What's with people getting on their moral high horse. He lost his cool and apologised for it. Big woop.

My only issue with him was how he acted like a little bitch after the Round 22 game in 2009.
1. Children need to learn from a young age to respect officials. Society doesn't function without respect for the rule of law and those who are charged with enforcing it.

2. Clarkson is a public figure. Children will naturally look up to him and follow his example, be it good or bad.

3. The umpire involved is 19. There's a shortage of umpires in amateur sport across Australia. Having AFL coaches belittle you in front of a crowd is hardly going to encourage others to become umpires.

In light of the above, I don't think the reaction is out of proportion to Clarkson's conduct.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

The act of abuse / swearing at the umpire was after the correction to both teams kicking the same way.

So the defence of Clarko - i.e. 'he was just doing his best to game the game back on track' is a croc - fabricated to disguise the fact that he is an arrogant little turd with real anger management issues
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

gringo wrote:3. The umpire involved is 19. There's a shortage of umpires in amateur sport across Australia. Having AFL coaches belittle you in front of a crowd is hardly going to encourage others to become umpires.
This has to be the main reason why a suspension is warranted (and I think the AFL should have done something).

We hear too many stories of young umpires being abused and therefore quitting; senior AFL people should be setting an example to the children.

Apparently a certain James Hird (who coaches one of the teams in that league) does a great job of going to the other clubs as well as his kids' club and doing... I don't know what, but you know that he would do it really awesomely.
hop wrote:The act of abuse / swearing at the umpire was after the correction to both teams kicking the same way.

So the defence of Clarko - i.e. 'he was just doing his best to game the game back on track' is a croc - fabricated to disguise the fact that he is an arrogant little turd with real anger management issues
Yes, I hear this morning that it was well after the kicking the same way issue.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

gringo wrote:
JP_32 wrote:What's with people getting on their moral high horse. He lost his cool and apologised for it. Big woop.

1. Children need to learn from a young age to respect officials. Society doesn't function without respect for the rule of law and those who are charged with enforcing it.

2. Clarkson is a public figure. Children will naturally look up to him and follow his example, be it good or bad.

3. The umpire involved is 19. There's a shortage of umpires in amateur sport across Australia. Having AFL coaches belittle you in front of a crowd is hardly going to encourage others to become umpires.

In light of the above, I don't think the reaction is out of proportion to Clarkson's conduct.
All your points are valid and I agree with you on them. But he had a moment (he has a lot of moments), apologised and copped his whack. He deserves what he got but in the general sense...kids will learn a lot worse shit out there from Joe Blow on the street. I sit at the footy and listen to a lot of inappropriate comments made with kids around and people going off their tree. This issue just highlights the greater issue out there, which isn't always a bad thing, but I won't hold someone losing their cool about something minor (minor meaning - losing their temper not the comments) if they are genuinely remorseful for their actions. We're all human.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I ask - had this been Sheedy, what would the AFL done?
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.