The Stupid f*** Head

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

The Stupid f*** Head

Post by robbie67 »

Who had the last say in drafting Myers instead of Cyril, should be taken behind the old Reynolds stand and have the shit beaten out of him.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Re: The Stupid f*** Head

Post by DC2 »

robbie67 wrote:Who had the last say in drafting Myers instead of Cyril, should be taken behind the old Reynolds stand and have the shit beaten out of him.
The sentiments of many robbie.

And there really is no excuse, we all had heard of this young rioli kid long before he was drafted. Many said he would be a gun and subsequently a high draft pick. Many here at BT said we would unfortunately not be able to get him as we rarely if ever get those high picks. Well we had the opportunity and still muffed it.

disgraceful. he was no hidden either.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Exactly, I remember talking about him in here when he was 15. He even spent at least 1 summer training with the club. He is just that x-factor we need too. Could you imagine Jobe distributing the ball to him?
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

robbie67 wrote:Who had the last say in drafting Myers instead of Cyril, should be taken behind the old Reynolds stand and have the shit beaten out of him.
That's too soft!!

He should be tied to a f***ing chair with his f***ing eyes wired opened and made to watch and endless loop of all the Essendon V Hawthorn games since this particularly moronic decision was made.

Then after a week or two - taken behind the Reynolds stand and have the shit beaten out of him.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robbie67 wrote:Exactly, I remember talking about him in here when he was 15. He even spent at least 1 summer training with the club. He is just that x-factor we need too. Could you imagine Jobe distributing the ball to him?
Now, that's the knock out punch.

I was saying to my mate in the stands just before the game - if only that idiot Lovett had kept his shit together and we had that someone who could break the lines through the centre.

Then we just watched Rioli do that all night.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

I love hearing stories of Cyril wearing Essendon gear 24/7 as a kid. It makes my heart sing.

:evil:
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

If Hawthorn had been in our place they would have chosen Myers over Cyril. At the time most in here did not think he was worth our pick either.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Sismis wrote:If Hawthorn had been in our place they would have chosen Myers over Cyril. At the time most in here did not think he was worth our pick either.
Be honest Sismis - are you one of the Board or the Footy Department? Perhaps Sir James himself?
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:Exactly, I remember talking about him in here when he was 15. He even spent at least 1 summer training with the club. He is just that x-factor we need too. Could you imagine Jobe distributing the ball to him?
There was a pic of him at Essendon training all those years ago with Hirdy alongside him. #-o
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Sismis wrote:If Hawthorn had been in our place they would have chosen Myers over Cyril. At the time most in here did not think he was worth our pick either.
Who says that? You? I have never heard Hawthorn make such a statement.

And I would love you to dig up the proof of the last sentance as well. You may have thought that, but I seriously doubt it was a majority of the posters in here. Seeing as I doubt if even two or three of them had ever seen Myers play before he was drafted, I would be inclined to doubt the strength of such opinions.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

robbie67 wrote:

And I would love you to dig up the proof of the last sentance as well. You may have thought that, but I seriously doubt it was a majority of the posters in here. Seeing as I doubt if even two or three of them had ever seen Myers play before he was drafted, I would be inclined to doubt the strength of such opinions.
It was in the book The Draft. Hawthorn rated Myers above Rioli and would have drafted him before Rioli. I'll have a look for the book and see exactly what they said.
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

I remember a half page story in the Herald Sun a few years back now with a Pic of Junior Boy slotting banana kick goals in his bare feet from an impossible angle. The gist of the story being that his only dream in life was to play for Essendon.

We broke his heart and now he is breaking ours!

I sadly have to say that I saw no such story on one D Myers
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

BERT wrote:
robbie67 wrote:

It was in the book The Draft. Hawthorn rated Myers above Rioli and would have drafted him before Rioli. I'll have a look for the book and see exactly what they said.
Fair enough, your word is good enough for me Bert. That being said, we were the ones that still made the mistake. Not Hawthorn.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

robbie67 wrote:

Why don't you just go back to all of the other threads which have been started on this topic every single time we play them.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

The draft is hit and miss and there will always be stories like the Rioli one. I don't blame Essendon for taking Myers ahead of Rioli, by the time the draft comes around the top 10 are almost set. Anyway, we have Anthony Long.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Sismis wrote:
robbie67 wrote:

Why don't you just go back to all of the other threads which have been started on this topic every single time we play them.
Still didnt answer my question did you? What basis did anyone have in here to say it was the right decision? Our clubs brilliant drafting record?

I will keep bringing it up by the way. If people are looking for clues as to why we are no longer a serious threat every year, these are the answers. In spite of what the likes of you, who think the club can do no wrong say.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I do remember most of the phantom drafts in 2006 had Myers well above Rioli.

Yes, we had a family connection to Rioli and should probably have considered him (definately we should have, with the benefit of hindsight), but Myers was well regarded as well.

I think the bigger error was taking Gumbleton at No 2 over Selwood - although once again, Gumbleton was well regarded etc etc.

We haven't had a lot of luck with these big calls over the years.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

robbie67 wrote:
Sismis wrote:
robbie67 wrote:

Still didnt answer my question did you? What basis did anyone have in here to say it was the right decision? Our clubs brilliant drafting record?

I will keep bringing it up by the way. If people are looking for clues as to why we are no longer a serious threat every year, these are the answers. In spite of what the likes of you, who think the club can do no wrong say.
Where did I say it was the right decision? I was one of the only ones calling for us to pick him. I'm just saying that picking the highest rated player hardly makes a person a f***wit.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

ZeroEffect wrote:The draft is hit and miss and there will always be stories like the Rioli one. I don't blame Essendon for taking Myers ahead of Rioli, by the time the draft comes around the top 10 are almost set. Anyway, we have Anthony Long.
Who?
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

Frankly, I believe Gumbleton and Myers have been our only real questionable first draft picks in recent years and thats with the pleasure of Hindsight

In 2005 we took Ryder with pick 7 - notable players that came after him were Shaun Higgens at 11, Shannon Hurn (13) and Grant Birchall (14) - I would give us a pass mark on that one

2006 - we took Gumby with pick 2 - we missed Travis Boak (5), Joel Selwood (7), Ben Reid (8), Nathan Brown (10) Jack Reiwoldt (13). In the same year we took Tom Hislop with our second pick at 20 and missed Chris Dawes at 28, Kurt Tippett at 32 and Lindsay Thomas at 53. A big fail you would have to say

2007 - Myers with pick 6 - we missed Pat Dangerfield at 10, Cyril Rioli (12), Harry Taylor (17), Callan Ward (19) - fail

2008 - Michael Hurley at 5 - we missed Steele Sidebottom at 11. We took Zaharakis at 23 and missed Dan Hannebury at 30 - I think we get a big tick for that year

2009 - Jake Melksham at 10 - we missed Lewis Jetta (14), Nathan Fyfe (20), Ryan Bastinac (21) - We then grabbed Jake Carlisile at 24 and missed Jack Gunston (29), Luke Ball (30). We took Anthony Long at 33 and missed Allen Christensen (40) Mat Suckling (70) - Juey is out on Melksham but surely Carlisle is a gem at 24 - will have to give a pass as much as I would love Jetta or Fyfe

2010 - Dyson Heppell (10) - No real misses as Hepp has proven to be possibly the best pick from that bunch

So lets look at the team we may have had on the field this weekend - just for a bit of fun. Missed out players in RED

Hibberd Fletcher Hardingham
Heppell Carlisle Dempsey
Stanton Watson Zaharakis
Rioli Hurley Lewis Jetta
Leroy Jetta Tippett Crameri

Ruck Ryder, Selwood J, Hocking

I/C Suckling, Howlett, Bellchambers, Winderlich