The moment the game was lost

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
JockStrap

The moment the game was lost

Post by JockStrap »

Dont wish to single out an individual player - its pretty pointless - but seriously if there is a moment when the opposition should never have scored...

About the 28 min mark of the first qtr, Hooker handballs out of a pack towards the boundary line - Jake Melksham simply stands by and watches Van Berlo pick the ball up on the line and kick the tinniest of goals from an impossible angle.

Melksham - hang your head son, you gotta apply pressure all the time. Never assume the ball is going out of bounds

For a young guy who has to really show more, this was a terrible terrible effort.

Anyway, its history now - I am moving on
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Re: The moment the game was lost

Post by s'dreams »

JockStrap wrote:Dont wish to single out an individual player - its pretty pointless - but seriously if there is a moment when the opposition should never have scored...

About the 28 min mark of the first qtr, Hooker handballs out of a pack towards the boundary line - Jake Melksham simply stands by and watches Van Berlo pick the ball up on the line and kick the tinniest of goals from an impossible angle.

Melksham - hang your head son, you gotta apply pressure all the time. Never assume the ball is going out of bounds

For a young guy who has to really show more, this was a terrible terrible effort.

Anyway, its history now - I am moving on
Your post is The moment the game was lost... Is this for real? ... I would have put your "moment" way behind the loss of Howlett and more so the loss of Winder to hammies ... a couple of the "crowd pleaser" frees in the clutch in the last quarter (whatever happened to in the back you maggots? .. and why can't we get these frees?)... Hurley not sighting Jetta running free in the forward 50 in the last ... and Pears dropping the mark at the death (though never trust a full back to kick a clutch goal).

If anything ... the moment was when the coaching staff decided to run Heppell as the lose man in defence in the 3rd quarter (rather than Hurley as they did in the first two quarters) ... with the result that we started getting smashed in the clearances (remember Howlett was off at that point) ... and the massive pressure on the younger members of defence frayed them ... what was it again ... a 7 to 3 goal 3rd quarter?

Melksham may be some people's whipping boy ... but at least be fair.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

I can forgive Melsham for thinking the ball was going out of play and making a rookie mistake like that. What I can't forgive is the free he gave away when holding the footy in the last quarter. He got the hard ball, held it in and then made abosolutley no attempt to get rid of it. The fox commentary team could see that call coming a mile out, why didn't he?

Every week we whinge and moan about this bloke, he's just not up to it. If we didn't have so many injuries surely he would of been dropped.
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

Guys the game was lost with the 2 kickouts that resulted in 2 very easy Adelaide goals.
1 was Bellchambers
That should simply never happen.
We undid all our hard work with that.
Had a crack though and that is all that you can ask...
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

What a stupid f****** statement..
stryper
High Draft Pick

Post by stryper »

which statement?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

stryper wrote:which statement?
The first post in this thread..
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

Fair enough, as I said, moving on.

It was just such a tinny goal from Van Berlo....lol ...if Jake had just looked at him it may have made some difference. My point is really more about a goal out of the blue

Sure there are dozens of moments in any game and as I stated in my post, its a pointless exercise trying to pinpoint one moment

Sorry Gimps...not intending to offend anyone.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

JockStrap wrote:Fair enough, as I said, moving on.

It was just such a tinny goal from Van Berlo....lol ...if Jake had just looked at him it may have made some difference. My point is really more about a goal out of the blue

Sure there are dozens of moments in any game and as I stated in my post, its a pointless exercise trying to pinpoint one moment

You're not offending anyone. Majority of your contribution is great, this one was just a bit off in my opinion.

Was a crap effort, but there were hundreds of them in the game, including the efforts of the umpires.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Gimps wrote:
JockStrap wrote:Fair enough, as I said, moving on.

You're not offending anyone. Majority of your contribution is great, this one was just a bit off in my opinion.

Was a crap effort, but there were hundreds of them in the game, including the efforts of the umpires.
Gimps has made a career out of sprouting crap on this website that no else agrees with or has any interest in reading Jockstrap, so take his comments with a grain of salt. You'll know you are on target if you make your way into one of his putrid poems.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

You're crusin for a poetic bruisin Gringo..
bomber91
Top Up Player

Post by bomber91 »

another moment no one mentioned was Jobe's shot at goal in the last after Dangerfield gave away a free for taking the ball out of the ruck.
He kicks it, we're in front
He missed and the ball traveled the length of the ground where Kenny Powers (Taylor Walker) was able to make us pay.
Two goal turnaround...
we wouldnt've been within 10 goals if it weren't for Jobe but he needed to slot that one.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

bomber91 wrote:another moment no one mentioned was Jobe's shot at goal in the last after Dangerfield gave away a free for taking the ball out of the ruck.
He missed and the ball traveled the length of the ground where Kenny Powers (Taylor Walker) was able to make us pay.
Two goal turnaround...
we wouldnt've been within 10 goals if it weren't for Jobe but he needed to slot that one.
And Pears dropped a chest mark 15 metres out...you can pick up any number of endless f*** ups, but at the end of the day, it is a team that loses and not one player on an individual brain fart...
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Crazyman wrote:
bomber91 wrote:another moment no one mentioned was Jobe's shot at goal in the last after Dangerfield gave away a free for taking the ball out of the ruck.
Two goal turnaround...
And Pears dropped a chest mark 15 metres out...you can pick up any number of endless f*** ups, but at the end of the day, it is a team that loses and not one player on an individual brain fart...
If you look at the Pears one I'm sure the Crows defender got a hand in and spoiled the ball.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

BERT wrote:
Crazyman wrote:
Two goal turnaround...
If you look at the Pears one I'm sure the Crows defender got a hand in and spoiled the ball.
Spot on
bomber91
Top Up Player

Post by bomber91 »

Crazyman wrote:
Two goal turnaround...
i totally agree.. i'm just merely stating that goal would've been so valuable
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

There were so many stuff ups you can't really just blame one of them.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I am puzzled how on earth we were able to get as close as we did, with injuries, stuff ups, the interstate crowd factor etc etc. :?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

JockStrap wrote:Dont wish to single out an individual player - its pretty pointless - but seriously if there is a moment when the opposition should never have scored...

I agree that it was a soft effort. But who was to be on Van Berlo in the first place?
Essendunny
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

BenDoolan wrote:

I agree that it was a soft effort. But who was to be on Van Berlo in the first place?

Not sure who was on Van Berlo and again I reiterate, it was just the supreme rub of the green as far as Adelaide is concerned, a seemingly dead ball, kept in play, fires a shot in the general vicinity of the goals - absolutely something out of nothing. Most of the other incidents mentioned are commonplace and to be expected in the hustle and bustle of a game. It was just this one moment when you had to think the footy gods were not with us
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

the Melksham incident was right in front of me and it looked to me he anticipated the crows guy was going to turn back towards the 50 but stepped goalwards instead.... I was pissed that Melksham didn't play the % and cut off the hole towards goal no matter what happened if only to make him move the ball backwards

great goal but having them go back outside 50 and slow down and find another way in is far better then a shot on goal

anyway there was about 5 critical things that we did that gave them the game, and funnily enough they were all made by "best 22" (Pears maybe the exception) players
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals