Fletcher

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Fletcher

Post by Jazz_84 »

bla bla we all knew this, he's a champ and would love to see him back into his 3rd man role asap
Callum Twomey wrote:CHAMPION Essendon defender Dustin Fletcher appears likely to play on in 2013 into a 21st AFL season.

Fletcher will meet with coach James Hird at the end of the season to discuss his future, and barring injury, the 363-game veteran feels another year at the Bombers is in reach.

"Once you get over 30 you need to sit down at the end of the year and I'll have a good chat with 'Hirdy', but I'm pretty positive," Fletcher told AFL.com.au.

"I think I've got another one in me, but time will tell in the next four or five weeks.

"I'm pretty confident mentally and confident physically that I can go again and try to help get Essendon up the ladder and have a chance to have another crack at it."

The 37-year-old has enjoyed another excellent year in the Bombers' backline, playing 16 games.

Despite missing last week's loss to the Crows with a sore shoulder, Fletcher is likely to return this week to face North Melbourne on Sunday afternoon. He said his body was "pretty good."

"I've got a few niggling things but 95 per cent of blokes would be carrying them at the moment," Fletcher said.

Hird said in April that the decision would be left entirely to Fletcher.

"There's not many people who earn the right to make the decision but he's earned that right," Hird said.

Earlier this year Fletcher took on a coaching role at the club in conjunction with his playing duties. The veteran helps defensive coach Sean Wellman throughout the week with video reviews, and has found it enjoyable to work with Essendon's young backline group.

"It's given me another little challenge," Fletcher said.

"It's given me a good look at the game not just from a defender's point of view but from a midfielder or forward's point of view. It's helped me mentally get through the year a lot better because I enjoy helping those guys out as well."
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: Fletcher

Post by Crazyman »

No real surprises there, the good thing is he is still one of our best players...the worrying thing is that he is still one of our best players...
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

All I can say is "Thank God"
bombermancan
Top Up Player

Post by bombermancan »

Crazyman wrote:No real surprises there, the good thing is he is still one of our best players...the worrying thing is that he is still one of our best players...
we really need another decent defender to cover him when he retires.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

bombermancan wrote:
Crazyman wrote:No real surprises there, the good thing is he is still one of our best players...the worrying thing is that he is still one of our best players...
Unless Gumby/Daniher can hold down the key forwards role and Hurls moves back there.....I reckon we will draft a young CHF this year along with Joe!!
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:
bombermancan wrote:
Unless Gumby/Daniher can hold down the key forwards role and Hurls moves back there.....I reckon we will draft a young CHF this year along with Joe!!
Surely not! Daniher, Gumbleton, Crameri, Hurley and another bloke??? Even Carlisle was drafted as a key forward. Quality midfielders and defenders is probably what we need.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

If we trade one of Hooker or Pears for a mid, Hurley may need to play back with Carlisle when Fletch retires.... that only leaves Crameri, Gumby and Daniher as forward options....
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

We seemes to have ready made replacements a couple of years ago with Hooker and Pears, but their progress seems to have faultered.

Rapt that the old fella is going around again
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

It will be a sad ol' day when he eventually pulls the pin. I've said it all before but I'll say it again. He's a legend of a player and a legend of a bloke.

Glad he's going around again. He really is a player / coach at the moment. Not a senior coach, but a terrific man to have on the field to mentor the young punks in defence.
Essendunny
bombermancan
Top Up Player

Post by bombermancan »

ZeroEffect wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:
bombermancan wrote:
Surely not! Daniher, Gumbleton, Crameri, Hurley and another bloke??? Even Carlisle was drafted as a key forward. Quality midfielders and defenders is probably what we need.
Reckon we will draft another midfielder or small forward possible small defender.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

If we dont upgrade on Pears and Hooker, Fletcher will still be our best option when he is 50.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Bugger 2013, I'm looking ahead to 2014 and getting him over the line for 400 games...
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:If we trade one of Hooker or Pears for a mid, Hurley may need to play back with Carlisle when Fletch retires.... that only leaves Crameri, Gumby and Daniher as forward options....
If I were Hird I'd be planning on Hurley playing back next season and hope Gumby, Ryder, Bellchambers and Crameri stay fit, regardless of whether we trade either or both of Pears and Hooker.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
bombermancan
Top Up Player

Post by bombermancan »

j-mac31 wrote:
Mrs Mercuri wrote:If we trade one of Hooker or Pears for a mid, Hurley may need to play back with Carlisle when Fletch retires.... that only leaves Crameri, Gumby and Daniher as forward options....
If I were Hird I'd be planning on Hurley playing back next season and hope Gumby, Ryder, Bellchambers and Crameri stay fit, regardless of whether we trade either or both of Pears and Hooker.
Put Hurley back this week.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Megan wrote:Bugger 2013, I'm looking ahead to 2014 and getting him over the line for 400 games...
bang! my thoughts too

2014 he can play 3-4 weeks have a week off then 3-4 more, i thought about every second week but i think that might hurt his fitness but it's Fletch so anything is possible

if nothing else i think with all the negativity at the moment the game needs something like someone making 400 games
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

For those who like stats, here are some showing how good Fletcher is:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/e ... 23uly.html
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

j-mac31 wrote:For those who like stats, here are some showing how good Fletcher is:
These stats are amazing for a bloke of his age. Perhaps some of the morons that claim to be journos may even consider Fletcher as the best FB going around rather than cream their jeans over some average pretenders.

It staggers me how he is consistently overlooked when the discussion of "best FB" comes up, either now or in the past. Perhaps it is not "Cool" to pump up the tires of a guy who is over 60!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

j-mac31 wrote:For those who like stats, here are some showing how good Fletcher is:
These stats are amazing for a bloke of his age. Perhaps some of the morons that claim to be journos may even consider Fletcher as the best FB going around rather than cream their jeans over some average pretenders.

It staggers me how he is consistently overlooked when the discussion of "best FB" comes up, either now or in the past. Perhaps it is not "Cool" to pump up the tires of a guy who is over 60!!