Heres ya tall

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

Heres ya tall

Post by Filthy »

2 Dean Dick (Perth)
18, 190cm, 87kg
Tall defender with a thumping kick. Great natural ability with ability to play forward as highlighted in NAB AFL U18 Championships for WA.

For those who thought we drafted too short well the boys have their eyes on the future. This guys is only 17-18 remember. :wink:

I leave the nickname up to others :D
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

190cm is hardly a tall these days, Filthy, even though Dick does play in that mould for WA. Chris Judd is 189cm! Personally i didn't have a problem at all with the way we drafted (i was actually very pleased that we attempted to address our chronic lack of speed and skills in the midfield), but i'd imagine this bloke would struggle to play as a tall in the AFL, however being so young he might still have a few inches left in him :).

The bloke who is actually tall is Chartres - 194cm (and 95kg) is genuine KPP sort of stuff. From Peel as well, so it looks as though we've decimated their team for next year whilst also finding a roommate for Gumbleton 8).
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

I agree with you on both count there Jimmy. Dick being only 18 might still have a bit of growth in him. Lloyd and Lucas are both 192cm.

I am also happy with the way the club drafted in addressing some speed and skill deficiencies in the midfield.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

Gentlemen, I am expecting he will grow up and out somewhat in the next 3 years.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

yeah whack a few kilos on and he'll be right
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Any relation to Willie Dick?
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:Any relation to Willie Dick?
Son of
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

swoodley wrote:
Son of
*sigh* I'm getting effing old! It didn't seem all that long ago little Willie was running around, and now his son is here!
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

BenDoolan wrote:
swoodley wrote:
Son of
*sigh* I'm getting effing old! It didn't seem all that long ago little Willie was running around, and now his son is here!
1992 Benny. Willie was only here for one season. Didnt get many games though. The club recruited you the following year
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Crowny wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
swoodley wrote:
Son of
1992 Benny. Willie was only here for one season. Didnt get many games though. The club recruited you the following year
Yes I remember it well, it seems like only yesterday!
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Filthy wrote:Gentlemen, I am expecting he will grow up and out somewhat in the next 3 years.
Like many others I'm hoping that our Dick might grow a few more inches in the years to come.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

rama_fan wrote:
Filthy wrote:Gentlemen, I am expecting he will grow up and out somewhat in the next 3 years.
Like many others I'm hoping that our Dick might grow a few more inches in the years to come.
hopefully he will become very usefull
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rama_fan wrote:
Don't be so "hard on" the guy!
snitzel
Top Up Player

Post by snitzel »

lol. i heard he was bit of a rough head.
You kick the bucket and ill swing my legs!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

We might one day see Dick on Cox, but I don't think I'll be all that entertained.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

Bomber does Dad proud
14 December 2006 Herald-Sun
Michael Stevens

WILLIE Dick says he always regretted leaving Essendon for family reasons after only one season and seven games in 1992.

Now that regret has been eased by his 20-year-old son Dean being chosen by the Bombers in the AFL's rookie draft.

"I think it's fantastic for him to get picked up by Essendon, I didn't think it would happen, not the way the draft is these days," Willie said from Perth yesterday.

"I know what sort of club they are and how well they look after you, (what was that you said Ty?) so that was one reason I was hoping he would get there.

"I only had the year at Essendon . . . mainly for family reasons I came back . . . and for Dean to go to Essendon eases the regret I had leaving."

Willie's contemporaries at the Bombers in 1992 included fellow indigenous players Michael Long, Derek Kickett and Gavin Wanganeen.

Young guns James Hird, Joe Misiti and Mark Mercuri were starting their careers.

Originally from Goomalling (150km northeast of Perth), Willie was a lightly framed wingman at 179cm and 82kg, but his son Dean is a strapping 190cm and 86kg and still growing.

"He's a bit of a throwback somewhere along the line because his mother (Delys) is short as well," he said.

Dean started the 2006 season with the Perth Colts but played the last three games in the seniors.

His father said Dean was well suited to the modern style of football because of his agility.

"For his height, he's pretty agile and he's got a pretty good kick, both sides," Willie said.

"And he's also got a good mark, but I think being agile is what's required for this day and age of football."

Dean is expected to join the Bombers for pre-season training after the Christmas break.
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

hopefully this dick can be another star player off the rookie list in years to come like others before him...MJ, rioli, Lovett, NLM
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Sorry, my dirty mind has taken over me. :oops:

I saw we recruited a Dick but I didn't know if it was a big dick or a little dick.

By the sound of it we recruited big Dick son of little willie.

I had to giggle when filthy said that this dick will grow up in the next three years.

..................... :D .......I'm sorry.

Rapt to see the kid drafted and he's landed no better club to build a career.

There will be lots of support and a number of indigounous (Can't spell it) to make him feel comfortable as well as Uncle Kev.

His resume sounds great.

Dean welcome to Windy Hill mate :wink:
bomber_girl
High Draft Pick

Post by bomber_girl »

Welcome Dean, and Danny Chartres (our other rookie selection).