Is this the best Spine in the AFL

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Is this the best Spine in the AFL

Post by Windy_Hill »

Michael

Fletcher

J Johnson

Lucas

Lloyd
[/b]
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Quite possibly yes, but the scary thing is that this spine isn't going to be around long enough to see a premiership side being built around it.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

It looks good, but with Michael - 29, Fletcher - 31, Johnson - 29 in Jan, Lucas - 29 and Lloyd - 28, it's probably one of the oldest.

Fletcher, Johnson, Lucas and Lloyd have been there since 2001 and we have struggled to forge an impression in or around September. No one doubts these guys credentials or abilities, but as Rama said, it's what's built around them that matters.

What it does however highlight, is that we don't have much time to find replacements for the quality of spine we have.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

That probably is close to being the best spine in the league, if it's in fact not the best. But our midfield, which i'd argue is as important as a decent spine these days, is shit, and that's what is killing us.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Possibly is the leagues best spine, however it is an ageing one. It would be good to see guys like Lloyd and Lucas win one more premiership medal before they retire but the club needs to plan ahead and look for long term replacements.
bomber_girl
High Draft Pick

Post by bomber_girl »

Future Spine is looking something like this at the moment

FB

Lee?

Watson

Gumbleton

Johns
2QIK4U
On the Rookie List

Post by 2QIK4U »

jimmyc1985 wrote:That probably is close to being the best spine in the league, if it's in fact not the best. But our midfield, which i'd argue is as important as a decent spine these days, is shit, and that's what is killing us.
I wouldn't say that they are completely shit. We have a very young and inexperienced midfield coming through. With the excecption of Stanton, Monfried and Watson - I would say the others have not taken the next step. Having said that, there is potential with guys like Jetta, Dempsey, Davey and Houli coming through.

The biggest concern is that by the time they get enough collective experience and games under their belt, that so called 'best' spine in the league will be retired or very near to it.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

2QIK4U wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:That probably is close to being the best spine in the league, if it's in fact not the best. But our midfield, which i'd argue is as important as a decent spine these days, is shit, and that's what is killing us.
I wouldn't say that they are completely shit. We have a very young and inexperienced midfield coming through. With the excecption of Stanton, Monfried and Watson - I would say the others have not taken the next step. Having said that, there is potential with guys like Jetta, Dempsey, Davey and Houli coming through.

The biggest concern is that by the time they get enough collective experience and games under their belt, that so called 'best' spine in the league will be retired or very near to it.
You're right, they are young and inexperienced, and i'm also expecting plenty of improvement in the coming years, particularly from some of this year's draftees who already seem to look the goods on the training track. However, at this very moment in time, i'd gauge our midfield as either the 2nd or 3rd worst in the league (better than Carlton's and about the same as the Kangaroos, and worse than all others) - on that basis, they are completely shit at the moment.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

As far as midfield goes , although some people dont rate it that highly (and I reckon it could use a boost) the club was still 6th for inside 50s for the year. Be good if Dyson, Winder and Davey could step up. That could make a difference.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

Crowny wrote:As far as midfield goes , although some people dont rate it that highly (and I reckon it could use a boost) the club was still 6th for inside 50s for the year. Be good if Dyson, Winder and Davey could step up. That could make a difference.
Problem was our midfield couldn't put the ball to the advantage of our forwards in 06. With Watson, Stanton, Pev and JJ all having disgusting kicking skills, particularly on the run, the inside fifty stat is midleading. It shows we can find the pill, but struggle when we do. It makes Lucas' effort this year all the more remarkable.

Unforunately, kicking is something that is the hardest to improve. You can either kick well, or you can't. We seem to have a few more skillful younger midfielders coming through which is good, and having Campo on the park full time should also help our disposal.

As far as the spine goes, looks awesome and would easily compete with the leagues best.

What we need around the spine is:

a) a more skilled midfield, particularly by foot;

b) a quicker midfield that has the ability to run both ways; and

c) toughness around contests. Was very poor in 06 and something which has been a hallmark of successful Essendon teams.

Looking forward to 07 and seeing who puts their hand up.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

Best spine in the AFL would be St Kilda's:

Hudgheston (?)
Kosi
Ball
Reiwoldt
Gehrig

Other great spines (both are all 25 or under):

Freo: WC:
McPharlin Glass
Johnson Hunter
Haselby Judd
Pavlich Hansen
Murphy/Tarrant Lynch

Others of note are Geelong (if N. Ablett comes along this season and Mooney can stay on the park) and Sydney.

I think we're top 5 but getting pretty old. It's a young man's game these days.
AnarchicBomber
Regular Senior Player

Post by AnarchicBomber »

gringo wrote:
Crowny wrote:As far as midfield goes , although some people dont rate it that highly (and I reckon it could use a boost) the club was still 6th for inside 50s for the year. Be good if Dyson, Winder and Davey could step up. That could make a difference.
Problem was our midfield couldn't put the ball to the advantage of our forwards in 06. With Watson, Stanton, Pev and JJ all having disgusting kicking skills, particularly on the run, the inside fifty stat is midleading. It shows we can find the pill, but struggle when we do. It makes Lucas' effort this year all the more remarkable.

Unforunately, kicking is something that is the hardest to improve. You can either kick well, or you can't. We seem to have a few more skillful younger midfielders coming through which is good, and having Campo on the park full time should also help our disposal.

As far as the spine goes, looks awesome and would easily compete with the leagues best.

What we need around the spine is:

a) a more skilled midfield, particularly by foot;

b) a quicker midfield that has the ability to run both ways; and

c) toughness around contests. Was very poor in 06 and something which has been a hallmark of successful Essendon teams.

Looking forward to 07 and seeing who puts their hand up.
Best Gringo post ever. Nice work mate. (I figure if I'm gunna be one of those critical elsewhere it needs to cut both ways)
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Some key St Kilda players are getting older as well. I dont rate Hudghton? who is getting older (although they also have MacGuire) and Gherig considered retirement last year.
Marillion
Top Up Player

Post by Marillion »

FLETCHER

MICHAEL

JETTA

LUCAS

LLOYD
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Depending on injury & suspension affecting availability, I would play players as follows:

Fletch to take resting ruckman/second tall and kickins - Named at Full Back

Michael to take bigger power forwards such as Gherig, J Brown, Hall, etc - Named at CHB

Watson to start in the centre with J Johnson named as a rover

Lucas to be named as starting CHF with Johns named on the bench, however against teams like the Saints that have a taller forward line, I would play Lucas in the backline on the third tall and Johns at CHF.

Lloyd is clearly FF, however if injured/suspended (Lord forbid), Johns at FF with Lucas at CHF.

Add to that the fact that both Fletch and Michael are capable of moving forward, we have a strong and potent spine and as has been mentioned by numerous people in different places, we will only need to ensure that delivery to our forwards is accurate, quick, long and direct...