Gumbleton Ponders Future

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
'51 Bewick

Gumbleton Ponders Future

Post by '51 Bewick »

Story on AFL site

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

If he was traded, would we get much for him?
After all the years of effort EFC has put into him, it would be a real slap in the face if he walked away with little or nothing to show for it.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Re: Gumbleton Ponders Future

Post by Gimps »

A one year extension isn't anything flash. I would leave if I was offered 3 years somewhere else.
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

5 Years for 22 Games. Surely he cant be surprised its only 1 Year on the table.

This would (should) be a year to repay the club for the faith it has shown him during his injury plagued 5 years.
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

If he can get more years elsewhere and we can get something in return, that'd be fine. Chances are we will trade at least one key position player out, and none of Gumby, Pears or Hooker are untradeable.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

I'd like to see him remain on the list to see how he develops. He's got considerable upside.

We need to trade TBC as he is completely superfluous to our needs. All we need is an average ruckman to back up Ryder. At the moment, Hille can perform that role admirably, and when he retires, it should be relatively easy to grab someone else to perform the role.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

did hear today that we might offer Gumby and a pick to GC for caddy but that was from a guy at work and I didn't ask about his source so mightn't be right at all

you think GC would take that? I reakon they should, still young and looks to have injuries behind him

I agree about TBC but it wont happen
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
bombermancan
Top Up Player

Post by bombermancan »

Jazz_84 wrote:did hear today that we might offer Gumby and a pick to GC for caddy but that was from a guy at work and I didn't ask about his source so mightn't be right at all

you think GC would take that? I reakon they should, still young and looks to have injuries behind him

I agree about TBC but it wont happen
you would hope so.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Nothing story...we have offered a deal, he hasn't accpeted yet, because he is overseas (happens with players at every club, every year)

Pretty sure I saw a story in recent weeks where he made comments about wanting to repay the club and Hird for the faith they have shown in him.

However, if another club was to offer him a 3 year deal on decent money, he'd be a fool not to seriously consider it given his injury history. If he can secure himself say a 3 year deal worth $200K-$300K/year then at least financially it doesn't hurt as much if he breaks down again next year and it is career over.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

ealesy wrote:Nothing story...we have offered a deal, he hasn't accpeted yet, because he is overseas (happens with players at every club, every year)

Pretty sure I saw a story in recent weeks where he made comments about wanting to repay the club and Hird for the faith they have shown in him.

However, if another club was to offer him a 3 year deal on decent money, he'd be a fool not to seriously consider it given his injury history. If he can secure himself say a 3 year deal worth $200K-$300K/year then at least financially it doesn't hurt as much if he breaks down again next year and it is career over.
This
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I'd really like to keep him, but if he has to go to improve our midfield, so be it.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Gold Coast won't even consider Gumbleton and our second round pick for Caddy. I would be stoked to get that deal done but it's just a pipe dream, they would want a first round pick as a minimum. If not that then someone like Ryder or Hurley.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

ZeroEffect wrote:Gold Coast won't even consider Gumbleton and our second round pick for Caddy. I would be stoked to get that deal done but it's just a pipe dream, they would want a first round pick as a minimum. If not that then someone like Ryder or Hurley.
the kid is nothing yet, if the GC play hardball again and ask for Ryder or Hurley then tell them to o get stuffed and laugh when he leaves for nothing
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Jazz_84 wrote:
ZeroEffect wrote:Gold Coast won't even consider Gumbleton and our second round pick for Caddy. I would be stoked to get that deal done but it's just a pipe dream, they would want a first round pick as a minimum. If not that then someone like Ryder or Hurley.
the kid is nothing yet, if the GC play hardball again and ask for Ryder or Hurley then tell them to o get stuffed and laugh when he leaves for nothing
THIS.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

gringo wrote:I'd like to see him remain on the list to see how he develops. He's got considerable upside.

We need to trade TBC as he is completely superfluous to our needs. All we need is an average ruckman to back up Ryder. At the moment, Hille can perform that role admirably, and when he retires, it should be relatively easy to grab someone else to perform the role.
Nonsense.

If our best performing tap ruckman at 23 years of age is superfluous to our needs - in preference to a bloke well past his use-by date and another who is as consistent as the Stock Exchange - then thank Christ you're not doing the trading.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

hop wrote:
gringo wrote:I'd like to see him remain on the list to see how he develops. He's got considerable upside.

Nonsense.

If our best performing tap ruckman at 23 years of age is superfluous to our needs - in preference to a bloke well past his use-by date and another who is as consistent as the Stock Exchange - then thank Christ you're not doing the trading.
Fully agree with Hop on this one...I have absolutely no idea why people are so intent on getting rid of Tommy...for mine, he had something of a breakout year, will only develop further and has started showing that he will become an elite ruckman sooner rather than later...

As for Gumby, I personally agree with one year. Basically say, we have invested 5 years, you are starting to get your body right, but if it breaks down again, bye bye. If you have a stand out year, then we can talk 2 or 3 years...that said, I would not blame Gumby if he looked at other options and if that is the case, I would try to do a trade with Adelaide (something like Gumby who was a number 2 pick with plenty of upside + 2nd rounder + Fries as a free trade for value for Tippett and 1st round pick), we ontrade Tippett and 1st round pick GC and get Caddy
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

Love Tommy, but as I have said elsewhere, we don't need a quality tap ruck with an ineffective mid field roster. That's like having a V8 engine in a car sitting on blocks. Ultimately, you ain't goin nowhere.

Why Tommy, he is our most valuable trade currency with the least amount of downside should he go.

You can do this exercise at home, list our players with their general trade value out of 10 along with the impact of their departure out of 10

For example, Jobe would be a 10/10. High trade value but correspondingly high impact if he goes (unless you got Scott Pendlebury in return). Ultimately however our net gain from trading Jobe for Pendles is negligible.

I would have Belly at an 8 for trading value for all the reasons that have been pointed out. Young, rapidly improving ruckman. However his loss to Essendon I can't say would be more than. 4 or 5 out of ten.

Monfries would be our next best with trade value to certain clubs as high as 7 but the impact of his loss would be only a 4 at best to us. The other number you can add to this exercise is value in return. In other words, the value we get back from trading the player. Bellchambers could land a quality mid fielder for us with a value of say 8 out of 10 to our structure going forward. Monfries on the other hand may only secure us a draft pick worth maybe 5-6 out of 10 to our structure. still not great but it's upside at least based on what we get from Gus now
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

We know Belly is young and on a rapid improve.

If we trade him for another youngster with potential to be a mid then it's still only potential.

Trading him in hope of a gun seems flawed to me. Give away gold, we might get charcoal in return.

In the context of Hille being in some decline, it doesn't make sense to me. Gumby makes more sense.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

He'll stay on the one year contract and payback the faith Essendon have shown in him.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Gossy7 wrote:He'll stay on the one year contract and payback the faith Essendon have shown in him.
I'm on this train. Hate to see the effort go in, the improvement shown and then some shit club gets all the benefit.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

rockhole wrote:
Gossy7 wrote:He'll stay on the one year contract and payback the faith Essendon have shown in him.
I'm on this train. Hate to see the effort go in, the improvement shown and then some shit club gets all the benefit.
All depends what we could get for him. We should be like the GC c*** and demand a first rounder because he was a first rounder when he was drafted..