How Jobe Became The Best Footballer at the Club

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

How Jobe Became The Best Footballer at the Club

Post by BenDoolan »

We have had approximately 1000 Essendon players during the 84 years of the Brownlow Medal award being available. Jobe Watson has become our 6th Brownlow Medallist.

We should now examine how Jobe Watson came to be the elite player he is. It wasn’t because he was born with natural gifts that made the game easy for him. He was a thickset kid who was hampered by multiple leg injuries due to his frame. He is not blessed with speed, nor was he blessed with pure skills. He also showed a lack of desire and determination. He showed no endearing qualities other than the fact he was the son of a former champion.

Jobe Watson decided to get fairdinkum. But he didn’t receive internal assistance to improve on his deficiencies. He (through Timmy) went down the path of engaging a boxing coach (Ray Giles) to get himself into shape and better fitness. He also spent time with Greg Williams to sharpen his midfield skills. This startles me as to why there was no-one within the club to help guide this individual who was seeking to improve. Sheedy was there. Quinn was there. Assistant coaches were there – Robert Shaw, Mark Harvey. There WAS a boxing coach there as well – Nick Neophitou. So why weren’t they able to give Jobe his necessary guidance?

Anyway, it was what it was, and Jobe was on the upward climb to improving his abilities and skills each and every season. His mental strength, physical strength and leadership have all steadily grown to the current peak it has reached – voted by peers to be the best captain in the competition, selected in the All Australian team for the first time and now claiming the biggest individual award in the comp. He will also undoubtedly claim his 3rd Crichton Medal in a couple of weeks. Having a dad who provides enormous support helps. Having self motivation also helps.

But how does he stand head and shoulders above everyone else in the club in regard to stamina, consistency, and mental/physical strength? Just about 75% of the list snapped due to the ball-breaking program currently in place. But not Jobe. Should we look more into the techniques of a Ray Giles than a Dean Robinson? Why can’t a Leroy Jetta seek to improve himself to greater levels like Jobe? We’ve had a 150 game veteran plod along without improvements in any aspect of his game. We’ve had a plethora of time wasters on our list, whilst one individual has exerted as much energy as he could possibly give. Only Brent Stanton comes close to showing the amount of effort that Jobe does in getting the best out of themselves.

Ray Giles taught and conditioned Jobe how to play contact sport. He was also taught and conditioned to make the second and third efforts to succeed in sport, work through pain, and to be mentally strong. Why isn’t this drilled into every player at our club?
Essendunny
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Re: How Jobe Became The Best Footballer at the Club

Post by Crazyman »

BenDoolan wrote:Jobe Watson decided to get fairdinkum. But he didn’t receive internal assistance to improve on his deficiencies. He (through Timmy) went down the path of engaging a boxing coach (Ray Giles) to get himself into shape and better fitness. He also spent time with Greg Williams to sharpen his midfield skills. This startles me as to why there was no-one within the club to help guide this individual who was seeking to improve. Sheedy was there. Quinn was there. Assistant coaches were there – Robert Shaw, Mark Harvey. There WAS a boxing coach there as well – Nick Neophitou. So why weren’t they able to give Jobe his necessary guidance?
The highlighted section pretty much sums it up. The people at the club were always there, but Jobe over that off season had to go away and do something separate or it would never have happened...sometimes a different face and a break from the routine can be all that is required to get things back in order...
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

What do you think of Jobe now Sheeds?

Ol' goat will never admit he was wrong.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

DC2 wrote:What do you think of Jobe now Sheeds?

He wasn't though. When he wanted to trade Jobe it wasn't like he was the player he is now.

If at the end of 2007 you had the choice between say Jobe and Judd etc you would have taken Judd because Jobe while decent at the time never looked like being the superstar we needed.

Sure we can all sit back now and laugh at how Sheedy got it horribly wrong, but that's the benefit of hindsight.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:

He wasn't though. When he wanted to trade Jobe it wasn't like he was the player he is now.

If at the end of 2007 you had the choice between say Jobe and Judd etc you would have taken Judd because Jobe while decent at the time never looked like being the superstar we needed.

Sure we can all sit back now and laugh at how Sheedy got it horribly wrong, but that's the benefit of hindsight.
Well I’d argue by 2007 Jobe was a hugely improved player insofar that he knuckled down and got his body into shape, increased his stamina, and was becoming a clearance king. He still had issues with his disposal as we all know, but was obviously a much better player than he was in 2005. That’s why Sheedy’s comments in 2007 don’t make sense. Especially when Watto came 2nd in the 2006 Crichton Medal FFS!

Perhaps Sheeds was a little annoyed at the fact that Tim encouraged Jobe to seek help from outside the club and showing him up to being no longer effective at developing young players...
Essendunny
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

The coaches at essendon have 44 players to worry about not one?

Its like school. The kids that succeed often get individual coaching in their spare time.

I am sure this is being addressed. Problem is we have a lot of players are behind the 8 ball obviously.

Imteresting the other bloke who played all 22 games had plenty of boxing training in his background too. Melksham.
Stocksy
On the Rookie List

Post by Stocksy »

little_ripper wrote:Its like school. The kids that succeed often get individual coaching in their spare time.
Exactly.

You can send your child to the best schools in the world, doesn't guarantee they walk out the other side a Doctor or Lawyer. Those that go the extra yard with study, tutors, being a chapter ahead in preperation dont dream of the life that could be, they live the dream...

Some are gifted that they can cruise to a point, but at some stage you need to go above and beyond to acheive something exceptional. Its proven in the draft every year, so many kids with potential, so few willing to put the extra work in to become the next Superstar.

Spikes comments earlier in the year (not just on one occasion) some players are simply not professional enough. Too many at Essendon are happy just to be on an AFL List. Success wont come from just being happy to be there, and while they will all sit back on Saturday wishing they were there playing, how many over the off season will go above and beyond? How many will be knocking on someones front door saying Teach Me?

Until this group (players not coaches) sit down together and be ruthless and honest to each other, and make a pact to go above an beyond for each other, then success will always be a year away.
Here's to swimming with bow legged women...
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

boncer34 wrote:

THIS
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gimps wrote:
boncer34 wrote:

THIS
He was wrong. Even back then.
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Jobe wasn't good enough back then. Sheeds gave him a kick up the arse, so did Tim - he/ the club/ the supporters are now reaping the benefit of this. As I said on another thread, I thank Sheeds for not believing in Jobe.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gimps wrote:Jobe wasn't good enough back then. Sheeds gave him a kick up the arse, so did Tim - he/ the club/ the supporters are now reaping the benefit of this. As I said on another thread, I thank Sheeds for not believing in Jobe.
Those comments were correct for 2005, not 2007. He was clearly demonstrating professionalism by 2007 with his efforts in 2006. Sheedy must have had sawdust for brains if he did not recognise this.
Essendunny
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

boncer34 wrote:

http://www.bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.ph ... dy#p224408

As I posted recently - he still thinks Jobe sucks - http://www.bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.ph ... dy#p224408
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

BenDoolan wrote:
Gimps wrote:Jobe wasn't good enough back then. Sheeds gave him a kick up the arse, so did Tim - he/ the club/ the supporters are now reaping the benefit of this. As I said on another thread, I thank Sheeds for not believing in Jobe.
Those comments were correct for 2005, not 2007. He was clearly demonstrating professionalism by 2007 with his efforts in 2006. Sheedy must have had sawdust for brains if he did not recognise this.
I'm with you on this one BD
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

JockStrap wrote:
boncer34 wrote:

As I posted recently - he still thinks Jobe sucks - http://www.bombertalk4.com/viewtopic.ph ... dy#p224408
And I posted in that thread to a source that says you're full of shit.
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

boncer34 wrote:
JockStrap wrote:
boncer34 wrote:

Bonce, we don't know each other so it's hard to post on a forum and say, you just gotta trust me. In this case, you just gotta trust me. The dinner was about a month ago with Sheeds and 5 good friends. I was not there ... I was overseas. But the guys had a raging argument with Sheeds over the Jobe issue and he stands firm in his assessment. It was even thrown at him that he would have to change his tune if Jobe won the Brownlow. He again refused to budge. All I can say is if you have connections to Sheeds, ask them if he had dinner in Melbourne about a month ago with 5 guys. The dinner with Sheeds was purchased as a Charity fundraiser.

I have no reason to lie about this. So I hope you might find a way to retract the "full of shit" comment
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

JockStrap wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
JockStrap wrote:
boncer34 wrote:

Bonce, we don't know each other so it's hard to post on a forum and say, you just gotta trust me. In this case, you just gotta trust me. The dinner was about a month ago with Sheeds and 5 good friends. I was not there ... I was overseas. But the guys had a raging argument with Sheeds over the Jobe issue and he stands firm in his assessment. It was even thrown at him that he would have to change his tune if Jobe won the Brownlow. He again refused to budge. All I can say is if you have connections to Sheeds, ask them if he had dinner in Melbourne about a month ago with 5 guys. The dinner with Sheeds was purchased as a Charity fundraiser.

I have no reason to lie about this. So I hope you might find a way to retract the "full of shit" comment
I'm not retracting anything. I know Sheedy rates him now, he said so on SEN earlier this year.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

swoodley wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
I'm with you on this one BD
+1
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

There was a thing in the Age today or yesterday talking to several people about Timmy's development, including Mr Giles - he said that he trained Timmy up really hard, not to break him down (Weapon style?), but so that when he gets to that point in a game where his body is f*****, he is familiar with the feeling and knows that/how he can push through the pain and coninue to play well.

Which goes back to what you said in the OP Benny - ghe method clearly resulted in a super footballer at the end of the program, perhaps it really should be looked at for the rest of the players. And it would be a very easy way to work out who is serious about improving.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
JockStrap

Post by JockStrap »

@Mr Boncer

So in other words you are calling me a liar. If it makes you feel better, then go ahead. I will take what Sheedy says in a private discussion with trusted friends 4 weeks ago over the PR spin on SEN earlier in the year.

But more to the point, I seriously can't understand why you would think I would come here to simply bullshit? At least give me the benefit of doubt.... Geez. Tough crowd in here!
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

JockStrap wrote:@Mr Boncer

So in other words you are calling me a liar. If it makes you feel better, then go ahead. I will take what Sheedy says in a private discussion with trusted friends 4 weeks ago over the PR spin on SEN earlier in the year.

But more to the point, I seriously can't understand why you would think I would come here to simply bullshit? At least give me the benefit of doubt.... Geez. Tough crowd in here!
Sheedy said in public he rates Jobe highly as a footballer.

Excuse me for taking the word of the man directly over second hand information.