Essendon v Freo Match Thread

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dom_105
Club Captain

Re: Essendon v Freo Match Thread

Post by dom_105 »

Stick your distractions up your arse.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

nomolos wrote:back to earth though.

Hurley injured
Crameri on 1 leg
Ryder and Kommer in trouble
Fletcher either poor form tonight or some little niggle.

Gumby where are you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing in Ryder's bump - he didn't leave the ground- looked fair to me - his shoulder connected low and slid up catching McPharlin on the chin - very unintentional

Kommers looked ok as well
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Possibly for the first time since Hirdy took over, I believe we actually outcoached the opposition.
Great job by the coaching team.
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Fletch ok according to Hird. Bit of a strain, but also taken off for a better match-up.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

JockStraps wrote:
nomolos wrote:back to earth though.

Hurley injured
Crameri on 1 leg
Ryder and Kommer in trouble
Fletcher either poor form tonight or some little niggle.

Gumby where are you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing in Ryder's bump - he didn't leave the ground- looked fair to me - his shoulder connected low and slid up catching McPharlin on the chin - very unintentional

Kommers looked ok as well
Ryder is dead set gone. That's football these days....
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:Kav!
How good does he look!? Just needs some more game time and a few more possessions each time.
BenDoolan wrote:Hooker has been very good tonight
Aside from the dropped uncontested marks in the first quarter.
BenDoolan wrote:Hang onto those f***'n marks Belly :evil:
How many kick ins in the second half went straight to him and he couldn't get one!? #-o
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

j-mac31 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Kav!
How good does he look!? Just needs some more game time and a few more possessions each time.
BenDoolan wrote:Hooker has been very good tonight
Aside from the dropped uncontested marks in the first quarter.
BenDoolan wrote:Hang onto those f***'n marks Belly :evil:
How many kick ins in the second half went straight to him and he couldn't get one!? #-o
To be fair on Hooker in the 1st Q - no-one was grabbing any marks. It was a bit wet and hard to handle. Even the kicking was atrocious - OOB's and absolute crud kick at goal.

I don't normally comment on umpiring, but that DELIBERATE paid in the last quarter against us was absolutely faaarked. Insane in the membrane.
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:To be fair on Hooker in the 1st Q - no-one was grabbing any marks. It was a bit wet and hard to handle. Even the kicking was atrocious - OOB's and absolute crud kick at goal.

I don't normally comment on umpiring, but that DELIBERATE paid in the last quarter against us was absolutely faaarked. Insane in the membrane.
We were at the pub, so couldn't tell how wet it was, but there did seem to be plenty of drops.

But Hooker's were still pretty easy to take. There was one in particular when no one was around him and he still fumbled it out.

Freo seemed to drop quite a few handballs.

The deliberate was shit. They seemed to get a few other very soft ones which I've forgotten. Beer friend me good.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

All in all I reckon the umpiring worked out pretty square - mostly 50-50's that you couldn't complain about. Just the 2 howlers in the last 1/4 against us, and a couple of "maybe" 50m penalties that weren't given for us
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I'm still pumped!!

I can't fall asleep. Gonna have another drink in fact! And watch the game AGAIN 8)
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote:I'm still pumped!!

I can't fall asleep. Gonna have another drink in fact! And watch the game AGAIN 8)
Cool - if I had a copy I'd watch it again too. Fortunately, I DO have another drink :)
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

nudder12 wrote:All in all I reckon the umpiring worked out pretty square - mostly 50-50's that you couldn't complain about. Just the 2 howlers in the last 1/4 against us, and a couple of "maybe" 50m penalties that weren't given for us
How's the sliding into the contest rule! Kommer getting to the ball first and giving away the kick! They have f***** our sport those jerks on the rules committee.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

tonysoprano wrote:
nudder12 wrote:All in all I reckon the umpiring worked out pretty square - mostly 50-50's that you couldn't complain about. Just the 2 howlers in the last 1/4 against us, and a couple of "maybe" 50m penalties that weren't given for us
How's the sliding into the contest rule! Kommer getting to the ball first and giving away the kick! They have f***** our sport those jerks on the rules committee.
Wouldn't blame the rules committee - just trying to make it safe (along with all other considerations), but yeah, that particular interpretation was one of the howlers I referred to
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Rewatching the game now. Kavanagh involved in the first goal of the third quarter comeback, kicks the second and assists the third.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

Sismis wrote:Rewatching the game now. Kavanagh involved in the first goal of the third quarter comeback, kicks the second and assists the third.
He is a beauty. Even I am excited by this kid. He could be somethng special.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

f****** weird game...1st half couldn't get near it and didn't look like kicking more than the one goal we had...
2nd half - complete opposite as it dried out...I seriously hope we don't have to play in the wet again (it can rain all week as long as it is dry on match day...) cause we were terrible until half-way through the 2nd quarter when it dried out... :shock:
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

The third quarter they started playing wet weather rules. They just kept the ball moving forward instead of trying to take possession every time. Once we cleared their zone they were f*****.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

just saw a few snippets of the Melbourne game and it was like watching AFL and table tennis.... Dees didn't come near us, no wonder we won by 148! after watching the Freo game this was highlighted to the extreme

maybe we just wern't ready for a contested game, too accustomed to the previous week and it took us a while to adjust and being freo, that meant massive adjustment! VERY proud of our boys to get up and win while not up and going from the first bounce
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

Crazyman wrote:f****** weird game...1st half couldn't get near it and didn't look like kicking more than the one goal we had...
2nd half - complete opposite as it dried out...I seriously hope we don't have to play in the wet again (it can rain all week as long as it is dry on match day...) cause we were terrible until half-way through the 2nd quarter when it dried out... :shock:

Seriously, don't think the conditions had anything to do with the first half performance. Both sides were fumbling the pill like it was a bar of wet soap. Difference being that when Freo fumbled it, they always had more numbers around the contest - always. I was watching this as it unfolded and it was quite apparent that in 75% of the 50/50's, they had extra players present and through sheer numbers were able to clear
5Alive
Top Up Player

Post by 5Alive »

Hi guys, Ive been hiding for awhile.
I just want to say I have had a lot of pain at Subi watching the boys but that was all wiped on Friday night. My little WA Bomber family (and a few from East hi Paddy) just made the night awesome. We were out numbered but definately cant question our passion. Where do you start with players... a little slow to get going but boy did they want it.

Love my Bomber family
I bleed black with a red sash