Changes vs Richmond

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Re: Changes vs Richmond

Post by j-mac31 »

boncer34 wrote:Back line of Hurley, Carlisle, Fletcher and Hooker is to tall.
So Hooker goes out. He's been "good" this year. That is all. Hurley will be better.

I'm not usually one to compare players to others, but Hurley could be like M Scarlett - on the short side of KPPs, but very strong, quick, able to beat key forwards 1-on-1 but doesn't have to because someone else takes the best so he can be amongst our best every week.
robbie67 wrote:If we are going to move Hurley back, which I am not convinced will work anyway
Why not? He's consistently played well when he's played in the backline in the past.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

robbie67 wrote:I appreciate all of the effort you have gone to in that post, but something you have not addressed, and which I believe is the massive hole in your case for Gumby, is the fact that he can doesnt provide much more than a marking option. He is woeful below his knees, he doesnt have much aerobic capacity, and if he doesnt mark the ball, and kick a goal, he offers little else.
I think Gumby's aerobic capacity is pretty good, but he doesn't utilise it. If we get the ball near the forward 50 and he doesn't get a pass on his first lead, he just makes a few short ones.

And while he's certainly shit at ground level, I'm not sure there's much value in having a CHF who can't take a mark.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

The team is going to be "cautious" with Hurley and Hibberd is expected to play after being injured last week. Davey unlikely.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

As for the team this week, I would definitely bring back Gumbleton, even if Hurley is in and plays forward and Dempsey has to be in.

Colyer for some speed would be a great addition. It was mentioned in another thread that he could be used as a forward. Whether he is or isn't surely with his pace he provides something more than Melksham in a similar number of possessions?

I would seriously consider Daniher, especially if Hurley doesn't get up, although I'm going to say that every week until he is actually in.

I also think Kavanagh has to play. He hasn't ever played two in a row and last week was his best game so far, not that it was spectacular.

Assuming Hulrey plays and Daniher doesn't:

In: Gumbleton, Demspey, Colyer
Out: Hooker, Melksham, Merrett/Kommer
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Id def bring in Gumby, Colyer and Demps (have a feeling Natrat will get a game seeing as its the dream time game)

Merrett, Melksham and Kommer out.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

You blokes are dreaming if you think Melksham will dropped. The bloke is a protected species and he even managed a few kicks on the weekend even if they went sideways.

In: Dempsey, Gumbleton, Jetta

Out: Merrett, Hurley, Kav
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ZeroEffect wrote:You blokes are dreaming if you think Melksham will dropped. The bloke is a protected species and he even managed a few kicks on the weekend even if they went sideways.

He was dropped a couple of weeks back. No reason why it can't happen again.
Essendunny
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

BenDoolan wrote:
ZeroEffect wrote:You blokes are dreaming if you think Melksham will dropped. The bloke is a protected species and he even managed a few kicks on the weekend even if they went sideways.

He was dropped a couple of weeks back. No reason why it can't happen again.
Before he was dropped he was absolutely putrid for a couple of weeks in a row, they had no choice. Like I said he actually got the ball on the weekend so it's probably a pass mark for him.

I hope I'm wrong Ben and they keep Kav in the side at his expense. Kav showed so much more on the weekend and we should be getting games into him. This is what we have done with Melksham over the last 3 years but it hasn't work out. With any luck and a couple more pre seasons Kavanagh will be a gun player in a few years.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

ZeroEffect wrote:I hope I'm wrong Ben and they keep Kav in the side at his expense. Kav showed so much more on the weekend and we should be getting games into him. This is what we have done with Melksham over the last 3 years but it hasn't work out. With any luck and a couple more pre seasons Kavanagh will be a gun player in a few years.
Completely agree. How can we truly figure out what he's got and/or get him some experience and the best chance to improve if he never plays more than one game in a row.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

JockStraps wrote:
little_ripper wrote:I don't believe this post. There was a pretty handy guy playing forward for the lions.

Initals JB mean anything to you?

Thats what hurley offers the side up forward for us. Forget playing him in the backline.

Heck if Merret hadnt KOed him i think we would be 7 and 1

Comparing Hurley to Jon Brown is well, amusing. Yep, both courageous players but honestly, that's where the comparison ends (on current form)
Brown played one out of the box against us...bugger always lifts. Hurls isn't as consistent, but when he has a great game he is on par.

FWIW, I think the only changes(other than forced) this week should be Dempsey.

The side needs stability.