Changes for the Scumbaggers

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Changes for the Scumbaggers

Post by BenDoolan »

OUT: Dempsey inj, Gumbleton omit, Jetta omit, Kommer omit

IN: Howlett hopefully, Daniher surely, Davey, Merrett (or Kavanagh)

The club should look to putting Jetta on the long term disinterested list and upgrading Corey Dell'Olio
Essendunny
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Re: Changes for the Scumbaggers

Post by JockStraps »

Gumbleton is on a hiding to nothing
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

In this age you cannot afford a key forward who is a one trick pony and at the moment that is all Gumbleton is. If he doesn't mark the ball he is absolutely useless.

Hurley is exactly the bloke we were missing in the forward line, the bloke who will bust the packs and bring the ball to ground, provides a physical presence and provides some form of forward pressure

Also do not understand how Davey's form this year meant he wasn't an automatic in once fit!!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ealesy wrote:
Hurley is exactly the bloke we were missing in the forward line, the bloke who will bust the packs and bring the ball to ground, provides a physical presence and provides some form of forward pressure
I don't think we're really missing him up forward ealesy. IMO, he's part of the problem. While it is good (on occasions) to have someone hit the packs hard and bring the ball to the ground, I would much rather have a guy hit the packs hard, take the f****** grab, and kick the f****** goal. Hurls has kicked 8 goals in 7 games. Simply not good enough for a key forward target. Bringing the ball to ground only creates a contested situation, which may or may not work in our favour.

And his hard hitting style has only resulted in frustrating impact injuries to himself.

Love the bloke, but I'm simply not impressed with what he's brought to the table this season.
Essendunny
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:
I don't think we're really missing him up forward ealesy. IMO, he's part of the problem. While it is good (on occasions) to have someone hit the packs hard and bring the ball to the ground, I would much rather have a guy hit the packs hard, take the f****** grab, and kick the f****** goal. Hurls has kicked 8 goals in 7 games. Simply not good enough for a key forward target. Bringing the ball to ground only creates a contested situation, which may or may not work in our favour.

And his hard hitting style has only resulted in frustrating impact injuries to himself.

Love the bloke, but I'm simply not impressed with what he's brought to the table this season.
Agree 100%. Love Hurley's "crash and bash" style, but at the moment it isn't working for the team (aka dysfunctional forward line) and it isn't working for Hurley himself (aka constant injuries).
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

billyduckworth wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:

Agree 100%. Love Hurley's "crash and bash" style, but at the moment it isn't working for the team (aka dysfunctional forward line) and it isn't working for Hurley himself (aka constant injuries).
I'll third all of that. Also another reason why I think he should play back...reads the ball well, crashes the pack and gets the ball going our way and then can push up to snag the odd goal...also tonight he would've been a liability...holds less marks than Gumby and tonight would've just created more opportunities for turnover...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Oh, and Hams out, Kaviar in.
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Will Hurley be available this week?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote:Will Hurley be available this week?
I doubt it. Looked like a bad ankle strain to me.
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Kavanagh and Merrett have more nous in their little fingers than both Jetta and Melksham respectively.

Out: Jetta (did absolutely nothing) Melksham (the turn over king), Dempsey(inj), Hams, Gumbleton,

In from : Howlett, Kavanagh, Colyer, Davey, Hardingham, Merrett

Last chance for Gumby if dry conditions AND uninjured, if wet DO NOT play him.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Last chance for Gumby????
Sure, he had a poor night - but so did every other tall guy on the field. Conditions were against them all.
Besides Vs Swans, what has he done wrong in the last 4 or 5 weeks??
ps - his stats will say he's been better value up forward than Hurley and Ryder and even TBC over the last few weeks. And he's done just as well as Joe D in the 2's
pps - reading between the lines in Hirdy's post match video, Gumby was not well - Hird said we "lost" Gumby
Give the dude a break, he's played 4/5 matches in a row, among several seasons of injury. He's allowed one poor game, esp when conditions were totally against him. If you want to throw stones, throw them at the selection committee who ought to have known better than going in with such a tall structure.
Sorry for the rant, but it gets to me that people single out Gumby, who's barely had a chance to impress
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Gumbleton has been serviceable and his best game this year was the first game he was selected for. However as someone else said if he doesnt mark it there is no ability to recover because his body just doesnt seem up to it.

I dont think any of the key forwards have played well at all.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

BenDoolan wrote:
nudder12 wrote:Will Hurley be available this week?
I doubt it. Looked like a bad ankle strain to me.
he made the trip up to Sydney and was very close Hirdy said so I'd assume he'll be right for Friday night
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Id def play Gumby against the Blues- set him loose on the Friday night stage (especially if conditions are clear and dry)

Howlett will return probably for Hams, Davey in for Dempsey, Hardingham in for Melksham, Merrett in for Jetta.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Crazyman wrote:
billyduckworth wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:

I'll third all of that. Also another reason why I think he should play back...reads the ball well, crashes the pack and gets the ball going our way and then can push up to snag the odd goal...also tonight he would've been a liability...holds less marks than Gumby and tonight would've just created more opportunities for turnover...
He's been very very unlucky this year, his stats look poor but that's only because he keeps getting injured. Let's not forget we lost yesterday without him and we lost against the Lions when he was subbed off in the first 5 mins. He's been good without being great but the bloke has a dip and usually takes the best defender playing the hardest position on the ground, we are a better team with him in it.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

ZeroEffect wrote:
Crazyman wrote:
billyduckworth wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:

He's been very very unlucky this year, his stats look poor but that's only because he keeps getting injured. Let's not forget we lost yesterday without him and we lost against the Lions when he was subbed off in the first 5 mins. He's been good without being great but the bloke has a dip and usually takes the best defender playing the hardest position on the ground, we are a better team with him in it.
Needs to do more and get injured less. Simple as that really.
Essendunny
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

ZeroEffect wrote:
Crazyman wrote:
billyduckworth wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
ealesy wrote:

No argument there Zero, I just think he would be better (individually and team) going into the back half...it's not as if we are struggling for tall players...we are struggling for tall players that can a) take a grab and b) stay out of each other's way...
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Re: Changes for the Scumbaggerse

Post by tonysoprano »

Whoever plays this week - the most important thing of all is that we get a win. If we go down - losing 4 of our last 5 including losses to Carlton and Bris is a very bad sign and may be the slippery road to a September holiday once again.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

we need caro to write some vitriolic abuse about hirdy....boy we have missed her motivational pieces over the last few weks
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

And then we do "whatever it takes" to get Buddy at seasons end. Timmy is certain he is not going to remain a Hawk. GET HIM!
Image]