BRILLIANT BUCKETS

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

BRILLIANT BUCKETS

Post by BenDoolan »

IMO, I reckon Jake Carlisle is a far bigger talent than Michael Hurley. He is an excellent prospect at both ends of the ground and looks like a natural in either position. Hurley's technique as a forward is quite poor in my book. Struggles quite a lot with leading, marking and positioning as a key forward. He relies too much on trying to use brute force to dispose of his opponent and trying to win the loose ball as a result. Rarely works. He is a very good defender though. A natural.

Buckets just reads the flight of the ball so brilliantly, and makes great position to mark the ball. He is also excellent at ground level for such a tall bloke. His rise as a footballer has been astronomical. Absolute star.
Essendunny
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Re: BRILLIANT BUCKETS

Post by Megan »

Boy has been taught well. Fast becoming a firm fave of mine. Is quietly going around getting the job done, and done very bloody well.
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
robbie67
Essendon Legend

Post by robbie67 »

He doesn't go forward, we don't win. Priceless, and maybe the second best player in red and black.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

It's great to have a player that we can put where we need him most and we know he will perform. He is only young so surely will continue to improve.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Hurley's technique as a forward is quite poor in my book.
Totally agree. A couple of times tonight he flung himself into a marking contest in such a way as to sustain another injury without any prospect of marking. Dont know if this is to do with his two stuff wrists that he is playing poorly.

I think until he is right he has to play back and Carlisle is such a revelation forward. I simply dont get why we are persisting with them as they started tonight.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

As my brother said tonight (42.7% sarcastically) - maybe they should just start with Hurley back and Carlisle forward?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Game changer.

Won that game for us last night. That goal at 3 qrter time kept us in the hunt.

Hurls when he is on can dominate a match. Too good a competitor not to find his feet and be great.

I an in favour of keeping them both swingmen. swap them just like last night when one isnt beating his man.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Buckets was fantastic in defence initially - replled their attacks many times.
Then he basically won the game for us when switched into the forward line.
You can't really ask for anything more than that. BOG in my opinion.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Put him in the ruck to check there is NOTHING he cannot do.
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

Sismis wrote:Put him in the ruck to check there is NOTHING he cannot do.
Actually, I think they did do this for a few minutes in the last quarter, since Belly had been subbed off.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

worst part is Hurley doesn't want to play back and Carlisle doesn't want to play forward...... yet they are their best positions and it wins us games, buggers me how Hirdy is going to manage it
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

Credit should be given to the coaches for having the guts to swap Hurley and Carlisle again and subbing TB off for Myers straight after half time. Carlisle is great wherever he plays so if Hurley happens to be struggling up forward the change can be made and it's a win for us. It's a system that's working at the moment so I don't care where either of them play as long as we win.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

little_ripper wrote:Game changer.

Won that game for us last night. That goal at 3 qrter time kept us in the hunt.
And that goal he kicked in the last quarter was an absolute ripper also. Such a magnificent kick.
Essendunny
azza78
High Draft Pick
Location: Cairns, FNQ. Home of the mighty Cairns Draught, may it RIP

Post by azza78 »

G.U.N. Save the money on the new training digs and spend it on cloning this bloke, then we can play him forward and back at the same time... vingertje
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Jazz_84 wrote:worst part is Hurley doesn't want to play back and Carlisle doesn't want to play forward...... yet they are their best positions and it wins us games, buggers me how Hirdy is going to manage it
Its easy. Start hurls forward carlisle back. Its only a prob when one isnt firing. Thurs it was hurls. A swap and they were both winning. Same sorta thing vs Carlton. Buckets was getting done by Waite. We swapped em and we won the game.

I think its great having them both. Their styles complement each other.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

I think the retirement of Fletch and emergence of JD will make things a little easier. Both Hurley and Carlisle could conceivable play back.

We then have the options of Ryder/Bellchambers, Crameri, Daniher/Gumbleton up forward

Of course the great thing is we have flexibility to swap things around when/if required

Either way, it would be better to give the players some clear direction on where they will be playing
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

JockStraps wrote:I think the retirement of Fletch and emergence of JD will make things a little easier. Both Hurley and Carlisle could conceivable play back.

We then have the options of Ryder/Bellchambers, Crameri, Daniher/Gumbleton up forward

Of course the great thing is we have flexibility to swap things around when/if required

Either way, it would be better to give the players some clear direction on where they will be playing
I completely agree with this. I think its looking ever more likely that the great man Fletch may call it a day at years end. It makes sense so we don't lost any of our tall talent to other clubs simply because they couldn't get in the team. If Hurley & Carlisle could both play back it would be great but is that putting way too much pressure on Gumby & JD to kick goals each week? We also have Hooker and Pears up our sleeve too.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

JockStraps wrote:I think the retirement of Fletch and emergence of JD will make things a little easier. Both Hurley and Carlisle could conceivable play back.
Well that's what I've said all along but Hooker won't be dropped apparently, so we'll have to wait until Fletch goes.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

little_ripper wrote:
Jazz_84 wrote:worst part is Hurley doesn't want to play back and Carlisle doesn't want to play forward...... yet they are their best positions and it wins us games, buggers me how Hirdy is going to manage it
Its easy. Start hurls forward carlisle back. Its only a prob when one isnt firing.
On Jazz' point, simple: you do what the coach says whether you like it or not. I don't think they're going to chuck a hissy if they play at the end they don't prefer.

ON LR;s point: it's not a bad idea, except that Hurley consistently struggles as a forward. And then goes and kills it in defence.
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Post by JockStraps »

j-mac31 wrote:
Well that's what I've said all along but Hooker won't be dropped apparently, so we'll have to wait until Fletch goes.
correct, all subject to when Fletch hangs up his boots as I certainly don't want to see Hooksey sidelined