Dustin Fletcher

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Dustin Fletcher

Post by BenDoolan »

I'm torn about my thoughts of this icon's retirement. I would love him to reach 400 games. He deserves it, and he is physically and competently capable of doing it. However, I believe our defence is in good hands these days with the likes of Carlisle, Hooker, Hurley, Hibberd, Baguley, Dempsey, Pears putting in solid performances weekly.

Fletch has 5 more games to break Madden's record. He will finish with 380+ games if he retires at the end of the season (plus finals if we escape sanction on that). Really love Fletch, and I'll be quite emotional when he retires - moreso than any other Bomber in my lifetime. But I would rather him bow out of the game when he is playing as well as he is than to go on one more season and perhaps limp over the 400 mark.

I wouldn't be upset if he plays on. But I believe he should probably hang up the boots at the end of the season.

Wot do ewes reckon?
Essendunny
JockStraps
High Draft Pick

Re: Dustin Fletcher

Post by JockStraps »

Couldnt agree more...and you know, I don't think Fletch is the sort of guy to simply play on for records and milestones. I think this will be his last hurrah.

I noticed Man Utd has just signed their veteran Ryan Giggs as a coach. I would be doing exatly the same thing with Fletch.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

JockStraps wrote:Couldnt agree more...and you know, I don't think Fletch is the sort of guy to simply play on for records and milestones. I think this will be his last hurrah.

I noticed Man Utd has just signed their veteran Ryan Giggs as a coach. I would be doing exatly the same thing with Fletch.
He said as much when he was interviewed before the ANZAC Day match - another game he sat out due to injury. His body isn't as durable as it once was (back last century) - this is the reason that his place in the team is under pressure.

Let us allow him the grace of playing out this year. If he can stay fit, if can still get to the contest, if he can still find team-mates 40 to 60 metres away and if he still wants to play then 2014 should see old-man-river saddle up again.

It will be a very sad day when Fletch hangs 'em up. Let's hope it's not a losing interstate final.
Last edited by hop on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Fletcher does seem off the pace this season.

However, I saw a glimpse of the tried and true Fletcher in the later part of the game yesterday. He hit a couple of pack really hard.

Perhaps he's just a poor patch of form that may be associated with a wear and tear injury. He also might, of all the players at the club, be in most fear of the outcome of this ASADA inquiry. Imagine playing 20 magnificent seasons and then being banned as part of a blanket punishment because of this whole ridiculous saga. It is thinking about guys like Dustin Fletcher that really gets me riled up when you here these drop kicks talk of bans and losing points. Gee I hope we have that smoking gun that will completely exonerates us.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

MH_Bomber wrote:Fletcher does seem off the pace this season.

However, I saw a glimpse of the tried and true Fletcher in the later part of the game yesterday. He hit a couple of pack really hard.

Perhaps he's just a poor patch of form that may be associated with a wear and tear injury. He also might, of all the players at the club, be in most fear of the outcome of this ASADA inquiry. Imagine playing 20 magnificent seasons and then being banned as part of a blanket punishment because of this whole ridiculous saga. It is thinking about guys like Dustin Fletcher that really gets me riled up when you here these drop kicks talk of bans and losing points. Gee I hope we have that smoking gun that will completely exonerates us.
Model citizen, Model footballer, Model bloke - 21 seasons of oustanding contribution - having followed in his illustrious fathers' footsteps.

Yet, he may do time for something he is totally innocent of - (we all know he needs anti-obesity drugs :roll: ).

Meanwhile - tattooed, smart-arse gob-shites who have been in the game 5 minutes, are thumbing their noses at the rules because they get 3 chances - or maybe more - as long as they take a Buddy-break.

If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I thought Fletch was really good yesterday. Fletch has always had bad games during his career but when he has one now it gets noticed more because he is 65 years old. Fletch seems pretty laid back so I don't think the ASADA thing will worry him to much and he said so on Before the Game a few weeks ago.

I think he will play on next season, not to get to 400 games but to get a flag 22 years after he started. A flag in your first and last seasons.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Our defence is the strongest it's been since the early 2000s, one of the reasons for this is the fact we have Fletch who can play multiple roles. He also provides one of if not the best kick outs in the game. He has still be solid this year with moments each game where he stops the opposition scoring through sheer Fletcherness. With Hooker and Fletcher we have two defenders the opposition has to pay attention which will effect their structure.

With Fletch in the back six we can always afford to play three talls, I don't think any of the other options provide this.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Make him Captain while Jobe is absent.
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

hop wrote:Make him Captain in Jobe absence.
With all the shit that we have been through, it was comforting to see the old bloke on the backline again drilling 60 m kickouts lace out.

There is nothing worse than seeing a champion outstay his welcome through declining form which everyone except himself can see.
I do not think that Fletch is at that stage yet.

He more than justifies his position in the team at present and something tells me that if his form drops off, he is the type of person that will acknowledge the fact and gracefully withdraw.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

I want him to reach 400 more then anything but in saying that our defence is more then capable without him.... I feel he will retire, but wait and see how the last 8 or so rounds go for him
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sismis wrote:Our defence is the strongest it's been since the early 2000s, one of the reasons for this is the fact we have Fletch who can play multiple roles. He also provides one of if not the best kick outs in the game. He has still be solid this year with moments each game where he stops the opposition scoring through sheer Fletcherness. With Hooker and Fletcher we have two defenders the opposition has to pay attention which will effect their structure.

With Fletch in the back six we can always afford to play three talls, I don't think any of the other options provide this.
I agree with all of this.

The last part is a particular concern for me. Fletcher is so valuable in that way. If Pears ever remembers how to play well at AFL level he could maybe play on smaller players. Hurley might just be quick enough too. They wouldn't be playing on the best small forwards, so it could be done. But no one will ever replace Fletch.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
bomberchampion
Top Up Player

Post by bomberchampion »

MH_Bomber wrote:Fletcher does seem off the pace this season.

His slowed a ton this year.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

At the start of the year I was sure he would play on and get to the magical 400 games.... over the past month when he has been out of the side and with the amazing improvement from Hooker, Carlisle, Hibbo, Baguley, Pears and co it does seem that our defence is finally capable of being tight without having him out there.

Being the champion he is im sure Fletch will know when his time is up, but if he still feels he has a part to play next year then I wont be upset if he goes around one more time in 2014!
bomberchampion
Top Up Player

Post by bomberchampion »

Mrs Mercuri wrote:At the start of the year I was sure he would play on and get to the magical 400 games.... over the past month when he has been out of the side and with the amazing improvement from Hooker, Carlisle, Hibbo, Baguley, Pears and co it does seem that our defence is finally capable of being tight without having him out there.

Being the champion he is im sure Fletch will know when his time is up, but if he still feels he has a part to play next year then I wont be upset if he goes around one more time in 2014!
Reckon he will be kept as back up next year. Kinda like Hille role this year.
chickster
On the Rookie List

Post by chickster »

JockStraps wrote:I noticed Man Utd has just signed their veteran Ryan Giggs as a coach. I would be doing exatly the same thing with Fletch.
Man U have actually taken the lead from Essendon. Just like Fletch, Giggs has been signed up as a player/coach.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Pears is junk.

With west coast sniffing around to replace brown letd take St Kilda second rounder and run.

Fletcher to keep going.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

Quite right, hop.

I love Fletch - named my new pup Fletcher in his honour - but you can't deny that he's slowed this year. I desperately wanted him to go around again but at this rate, you'd think it unlikely.

Unless we get runners up in the GF. Then I reckon Hirdy would move heaven and earth to keep him on just to let him get another crack at the GF in 2014. Unfinished business!
Proud member of 'Cult Hird'.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I think Fletcher is still more than handy and of great value to the side.
boncer34 wrote:Pears is junk.

With west coast sniffing around to replace brown letd take St Kilda second rounder and run.
Do it.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
bomberchampion
Top Up Player

Post by bomberchampion »

j-mac31 wrote:I think Fletcher is still more than handy and of great value to the side.
boncer34 wrote:Pears is junk.

Do it.
second round awesome.
npskinner
Top Up Player

Post by npskinner »

This thread is insane. The guy does 2/3 things a game that really blows me away, and often saves our arse defensively. Whether it be a timely spoil, a touch on the goal line, crucial pressure acts, an important smother, 1%ers, or effective defensive rebound. Not only that, he is one of the best kicks in the team, can play on a tall or a small, and overall no one has consistently laid a claim to replace him.

Of course their has been a great amount of improvement from Carlisle and Hooker, but I see no need to cull someone who can still help your side win. He had an injury, returned, and first week back racks up 24 disposals (5th highest disposals of any bomber) kicking at 83% DE.

The man adds footy smarts and composure to what can be a pretty shaky backline under pressure at times (think Pears, Hooker). If another defender conclusively proves they are a better player I will agree that he must move on and pass the torch so to speak. Right now, Fletch is in the best 22.