Gumbleton looks to Lucas

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Gumbleton looks to Lucas

Post by Sartorius »

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=4997
Gumbleton looks to Lucas
Thursday, 11 January 2007
Last year he was seen taking strong marks for Peel Thunder in the WAFL, but in 2007 you may find Scott Gumbleton lining up with the likes of James Hird, Matthew Lloyd and Scott Lucas.

Arriving at Essendon on the back of one of the most hotly debated drafts in years, Gumbleton pipped a pool of talented draftees including Lachlan Hansen and Matthew Leuenberger with the Bombers first selection.

And who could blame the Essendon selectors? Who couldn’t go past the 197cm, dynamic key position player who can play at either end of the ground?

Since draft day, Gumbleton, or Gumby as he is more affectionately known by his teammates, has made the move from Perth and is now focused as he begins developing his body in his first gruelling pre-season.

"Training has probably been a lot harder than I expected. Obviously I always thought that it would be a step up from what I have been used to but I think it is even a step above that," he explained.

"It is definitely a lot more difficult than what I thought it would be."

While recognising the challenge ahead, Gumbleton concedes this is a small step that will bring him closer to fulfilling his dream of playing AFL football.

But just when this dream debut will become a reality still remains a mystery to the 18-year-old.

"I don’t know if I will even get the opportunity to play senior footy this year," Gumbleton explained.

"I do have to work fairly hard on developing my body but hopefully I will get a taste of senior footy this year if I am lucky. But if not then hopefully I will start to play a few games next year."

Once idolising, and now training alongside, champions such as Lloyd, Hird and Lucas, Gumbleton has great expectations and big boots to fill as focus grows on developing future Essendon stars.

"I’ve always looked up to Lloydy and Lucas and Hirdy and now I have the opportunity to see how hard they work and get an idea of what they have had to do to get where they are today."

One man who has been in his position is Scott Lucas who once himself arrived at the club as a future key position player.

"He has come to the club displaying a good work ethic and is prepared to listen which I think are two of the most important qualities for a young player to exhibit," Lucas revealed.

"Now he just needs to work on his deficiencies and build up his strengths and then he will improve as a player from there.

"Obviously it is early to make predictions but after seeing footage of him, he looks like an outstanding prospect. However in saying that I think Gumbleton, like all players, will take some time to develop but I am really looking forward to seeing him improve."

Gumbleton’s smooth transition into the AFL system has been aided by his ability to fit in with his fellow teammates.

"I’ve settled in pretty well. All of the guys have been really good.

"I lived with Kepler Bradley for about a month to start off with when I first got here and I found that really beneficial because it enabled me to get to know a few of the guys a bit better.

Despite settling in to Melbourne life, Gumbleton confesses that the biggest challenge he has had to overcome is missing the constant support of his parents.

"I’m probably missing Mum and Dad over here because they were always there for me. Now it’s a bit hard to see them so I just have to speak to them now which is always difficult."

However despite openly confessing that he misses his parents, Gumbleton assures us that he is being well looked after, currently living with Damien Peverill who has assumed the motherly duties.

Let's just hope Pev is as good in the kitchen as he is on the field.
Sounds like he is doing alright. He has some beauties to learn off in Lucas Lloyd and Hird.

Love how Scotty said "Now he just needs to work on his deficiencies". Thats right scotty good advice, if you can only kick one foot, practice the other. Maybe he didnt mention that bit.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

Lol, Pev must be the ugliest mother in the world!
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

hahahahah poor pev
Makaveli
High Draft Pick

Post by Makaveli »

nmgilbert wrote:Lol, Pev must be the ugliest mother in the world!
Haha :D
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

nmgilbert wrote:Lol, Pev must be the ugliest mother in the world!
Would be the ugliest father too.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Hey!!...I resent that!!... :)
DC
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC »

im looking forward to seeing the big gumby play.

I doubt he will line up at CHF, but im sure he will get a run there at times during games, esp when Lucas is rested.

The forward line will look quite daunting with the quality talls we have.
Sheeds can play a very tall, hard forward line to match up on.

F Lovett Lloyd Johns
HF Gumby Lucas Hird

Thats is pretty top heavy, but it would be hard to match up on. Gumby and Lucas out on the long leads, with Lloyd and Johns in the square, and Lovett and Hird to crumb.

Who reckons the Gumby will start Round 1?

I know its hard to say this early, and I suppose his NAB cup form will decide his fate as far as a rd 1 game goes.