We should make the 8: M.Michael!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

We should make the 8: M.Michael!!

Post by Filthy »

Interesting.

Dream draw a help for Bombers
21 January 2007 Sunday Herald Sun
JACKIE EPSTEIN

NEW Essendon defender Mal Michael is not sure if he will be the club's saviour, but he won't accept anything less than finals this season.

Michael believes the depth of talent on the list points to a dramatic improvement after finishing last season in 15th position with only three wins and a draw.

James Hird has already spoken of his desire for a top-eight finish in his final season.

Michael, 29, believes he has come in at the right time and has labelled the club's recruits as the best he has seen.

"I don't know if I'll be a factor, but I'll be very disappointed if we don't make the finals," he said.

"(Matthew) Lloyd's back and he's not a bad player. There's definitely light at the end of the tunnel and I don't think Essendon will have another year like they did last year.

"In my 10 years of AFL footy I've never seen a group like this that's come into a club.

"I can confidently say that every one of them looks like they're ready to play AFL. I'm usually pretty reserved when I make that comment, especially about first-year players because I always think they need a little bit of time, but these guys look sensational.

"I just hope I can be around long enough to see them fully develop."

Michael has finally settled into Melbourne with wife Kim and daughter Ella.

He was lured out of retirement by Kevin Sheedy and signed with the Bombers in late November.

He has not yet visited Papua New Guinea where he is doing charity and business projects, but will go there during the season.

And he has not yet spoken to any former Brisbane teammates.

"To be completely honest, I'm trying to give all my efforts and my energy to my new teammates because they need me now," Michael said.

"I need to fit into the group. If someone calls me I'll answer, but at the moment it's all about fitting in at Essendon and making sure I build relationships there.

"I want to just give some confidence to the young players who got put through the wringer last year. What happened was unfortunate, but hopefully things turn around this year."

Michael said he played 140 of 145 games while in Brisbane and hopes to show similar durability at Windy Hill. He wants to slot into full-back alongside Dustin Fletcher.

"I'm just hoping with me coming to the club it'll give him a lot more flexibility and freedom which he didn't have last year," Michael said of Fletcher.

"I'd like to play full-back, but these days you get a three-pronged forward line. I'll get a bigger, more solid player. I think Dustin's more effective when he can float across there and dictate terms and make someone play on him rather than him playing on someone. That's when Essendon's at its strongest."

Michael is eyeing several NAB Cup matches ahead of a dream draw for the Bombers in the home-and-away season.

"For me, NAB Cup is the way I get fit," Michael said.

"Match fitness is the best method of fitness for myself.

"I had a look at the draw and we travel four times. I had to look at it again because I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

"We play Adelaide in Adelaide Round 1 and then we have nine games in Melbourne.

"My body's going to love that because I used to go down from Brisbane the day before because my back couldn't cope."
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

I'm likeing this.. The more he talks the more i get exciting, i havnt heard one negative word come from his mouth yet.

And for a bloke coming from a triple premiership team and saying he has never been so excited about first year picks, you have to be happy to hear that after he has seen brisbanes.
SuperSonic
High Draft Pick

Re: We should make the 8: M.Michael!!

Post by SuperSonic »

Filthy wrote:"I had a look at the draw and we travel four times. I had to look at it again because I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

We played 1 interstate game in our first ten last year, we all know how well that went.

Usual pre season puff peice wank.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

I thought Mal wasnt the sharpest knife in the draw, but he actually sounds pretty smart.

He says some decent things, but then as SS says, its only early days.

Every team will be good this year, just like every other year :roll:
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

Gossy7 wrote:I thought Mal wasnt the sharpest knife in the draw, but he actually sounds pretty smart.

He says some decent things, but then as SS says, its only early days.

Every team will be good this year, just like every other year :roll:
so ya thought he was pretty dumb hey? gee wait till i tell him this.. yo better run goss i wouldnt wanna be on the end of a Mal Micheal blow lol :wink:
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

I didnt think he was too smart no.

But i do like the sound of what hes saying :lol:

Yeah i would be gone if Mal hit me.
pevfan
On the Rookie List

Post by pevfan »

Interesting to see that he played 140 out of a posssible 145 games with the bears. Bit like Campo who hardly missed a game with the scum...comes to the Dons and pulls a hammy in the first few weeks. Be very interesting to see if, heaven forbid, the same thing happens to MM then I reckon it will really put our fitness staff under some serious scrutiny.
chickster
On the Rookie List

Post by chickster »

SuperSonic wrote:
Filthy wrote:"I had a look at the draw and we travel four times. I had to look at it again because I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

We played 1 interstate game in our first ten last year, we all know how well that went.

I think he was refering more to the fact that playing with a Melbourne side means he doesn't have to travel every second week, like he used to with the Bears. In all the excitement when he first signed I think this point was largely overlooked in the whole "why did he backflip" decision.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Sir Jim and now MM.

What are we on Sportsbet to make the 8????
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

SuperSonic wrote:

Spot on.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Mal is only really commenting on what I am sure everyone here already knows

1) Best Spine in the League

2) Solid Experienced players coming off bad year - can only play better scenario

3) Best FF in the league returning - almost a 'new recruit'

4) Sensational bunch of kids who can only get better

5) History of recovering from Bad Years. 87/88 followed by 89/90 success. 91/92 fllowed by 1993 success. 97/98 followed by 99/00/01 success

All good - put your money on Top 8 - for sure
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Windy_Hill wrote:Mal is only really commenting on what I am sure everyone here already knows

1) Best Spine in the League

2) Solid Experienced players coming off bad year - can only play better scenario

3) Best FF in the league returning - almost a 'new recruit'

4) Sensational bunch of kids who can only get better

5) History of recovering from Bad Years. 87/88 followed by 89/90 success. 91/92 fllowed by 1993 success. 97/98 followed by 99/00/01 success

All good - put your money on Top 8 - for sure
...And a totally revamped skills department who will professionally eradicate the players deficiencies to help the individual improve that extra 1%, meaning the team will improve at least 22% from last year!
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

...And a totally revamped skills department who will professionally eradicate the players deficiencies to help the individual improve that extra 1%, meaning the team will improve at least 22% from last year!
It would be nice Doolsy if that was the case but a 1% improvement from each individual would only equate to a 1% improvement for the team. I'd do the maths for ya but I can't be bothered and figure you would take my word for it.

As for the comment about the best spine in the league Windy - Since im a bit of an optimist when it comes to Essendon i'd say i'm pretty close to agreeing with you on that. Although St Kilda, Sydney and Adelaide would definitely have claims on that. I think the difference would be that there stars are younger and not as decorated. Our spine in its prime would be feared by all but unfortunately most of these guys have question marks over their ability to get back to their best. Not to mention being let down by a very poor midfield.

Top 8 is bordering on optimism but I think anything below 10th would be fairly disastrous. But the optimist side of me tells me that we are a crack at the top 8 - here's hopin'!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nmgilbert wrote:
It would be nice Doolsy if that was the case but a 1% improvement from each individual would only equate to a 1% improvement for the team. I'd do the maths for ya but I can't be bothered and figure you would take my word for it.
I'll take your word for it.........you always prove me wrong!

Well yeah, a 1% improvement by every individual in the team will only be a 1% improvement overall. My bad!!!!!!

OK then, the totally revamped skills department will professionally eradicate the players deficiencies to help the individual improve that extra 10%, meaning the team will improve at least 10% from last year!

How's that?

Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

I like the sound of this:

Michael said he played 140 of 145 games while in Brisbane
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

Lol, Doolsy I like it - 10% sounds much better. I'm just imagining Welsh smacking Lloyd on the chest with a 60m drop punt - wishful thinking? I guess you never know.
The Don
Top Up Player

Post by The Don »

Like many on this thread, I like Mal and the sounds he is making more and more. I met him a couple of times when he owned a bar in Brunswick Street in New Farm. He was a very quiet sort of bloke. He had an American wife in about 2001 who was pretty brash and loud she seemed to be able to talk adequately enough for both of them. i dont think she is around any more by the sound of recent reports.

One thing is for sure- he is a big unit and will take some stopping. One great thing that he offers in the backline is a physical presence not seen since Wallis and Hardwick. For developing players and bodies or even guys like Bradley who are still learning the art of backline play having a guy like Mal around will give him some confidence and there arent many better people to learn from than a Triple Premiership Full Back!

There is alot to like about the Dons at the moment- The Redemption has begun!

A question: Has Mal Michael been All Australian? If so which year?