Whats your round 1 team...

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

Royza wrote:McVeigh Mal MJ
McPhee Fletch NLM
Stanton Watson Campo
Hird Lucas Lovett
Laycock Lloyd Monfries

R: Hille JJ Pev
IC: Bradley, Welsh, CJ, Dyson
I like this line up Royza.

Some of the tinkering that I would do would be to inject some raw pace up the ground by swaping Andy Lovett with Stanton.

Having Stants on the HFF (unfortunatly) would assist us as he has a high turn over rate from his poor disposal. This way, if he misses a target, the ball is entering our F50 rather than being rebounded from the HF line. Playing him at HFF still allows him to have his penetrating runs, which can be damaging to the oposition at times.

I'm also a fan of the let Bradley run on the wing for a time. This allows Campo a rest from pumping his aging hamstrings and might cause a few interesting matchups and transitions.

I might also swap Pev with Ricky D as a starting rover. Although Pev still has a reasonable tank, he's not as quick as he used to be and small spurts from the bench would be best to manage him.

The day of the resting ruckman has long passed, but I also think that Hille in the forward line can be quite damaging as Laycock is having a run for his 7 or so minutes a quarter. Also a handy tall if CJ isn't able to extend the oposition back 3 or 4.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

84859300, i think you'll find that Stantons disposal has improved heaps over the last season. He was leading effective kicks for us in most games by the end of the season. He can be very accurate especially with longer kicks.
spikefan
On the Rookie List

Post by spikefan »

Could not resist a good "best 22" thread :wink:

I don't think Nash will be ready for Round 1 even though I would like to be be wrong..
Round 1 is against Adelaide, McVeigh goes to ruck rover
(Play McVeigh as BP only against elite small forwards)
Only new player I am willing to bet on for round 1 is Davey, maybe I got too impressed by the practise game.

FB: M Johnson Michael Welsh

HB: Mcphee Fletcher Natrat

C: Stanton Watson Lovett

HF: Hird Lucas Monfries

FF: Davey Lloyd Johns

Followers: Hille McVeigh J Johnson

Bench: Bradley Laycock Winderlich Slattery.

Em: Campo, Pev, Dyson, Ryder
Red and Black Forever
ppops
Top Up Player

Post by ppops »

DYSON#2 wrote: MJ playing two positions?
Oops. Fixed!

MJ............Michael........Welsh
Mcphee.....Fletch.....L- Murray
Bradley.....Stanton......Watson
Lovett.......Lucas...........Johns
Hird..........Lloyd...........Davey

Rucks: Hille, JJ, Dyson

Bench: Laycock, Camporeale, McVeigh, Monfries
Emergencies: Gumbleton, Slattery, Winderlich
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

by the look of everyone's team, it looks like our 2nd pick will stuggle to get a game? i havernt been to any sesons so i dont no how good he is, but he couldnt be that bad if his 2nd round pick? i thought he would make the side ahead of laycock and ryder?? or maybe not?
V-BOMBERS:
Premiers of the BTCL OD 0'7. V-Bombers!!!
BomberTalk POTY - Ramanama
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

I reckon:

MJ Michael McVeigh
McPhee Fletcher Natrat
Winder Watson Stanton
Monfries Lucas Hird
Johns Lloyd Lovett

Rucks: Hille, JJ, Dyson

Bench: Layock, Camporeale, Davey, Dempsey

Emergencies: Cole, Slattery, Bradley

I reckon this side is reasonably experienced and has a reasonable amount of pace as well which was lacking last season. I threw Davey on the bench as I would expect him to be more developed than the other recruits and be expected to make an impact sooner.

Dempsey is in his 2nd year so a few games off the bench might be a possibility. Didnt see the practice match so not sure where Cole is at. If he performs he might be able to take a BP and allow Spike to be thrown into the midfield from time to time.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

McVeigh, Michael, Welsh
McPhee, Fletcher, NLM
Winders,Stanton,Bradley
Hird,Lucas,Johns
MJ,Lloyd,Lovett

Foll: Hille, Watson, JJ

Bench: Monfries,Laycock, + next best 2 from the seconds/praccy matches

Placing in winders and bradley is a bit dangerous. but they have the experience now and will be expected to produce, and I have read reports somewhere winders is in for a big year.

I also think Kepler will be given the wing to prove himself early on. No improvement and he'll be out of the team.(failed on the backline).

Pev and Campo will be there abouts, handy backup players in their twilight, will be used as 'depth' players.

thats what i'd do.

cheers

tom