Season 2007

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sol
Top Up Player

Season 2007

Post by Sol »

My predictions of our preparation next season are that Rioli, Henneman, Heffernan and Bolton will be delisted. Rama will be either delisted or temporarily delisted under an agreement we applied for with the afl.

We will seek a trade of Welsh with pick 38 to Brisbane for Acker. I think Welsh suits Matthews style best and he is very good player with trade value. Sad to see him go, but I’m jumping out of my skin to have Acker in the Black and Red.

I think Nash will definitely get some interest and we might be able to trade up Nash and pick 54 for another 3rd round pick, maybe to a SA club like the crows (pick 35) ,who have an aging group of midfielders with a good core group of players peaking now. They will want advanced young players who can slot straight in rather than 2-3 year projects who cant support their 25-28 year old’s straight up.

So we would then be left with picks 2, 20, 22, 35

I think Carton will be after a key position defender as a priority and have read that Pagan has his eye on someone. Hopefully that leaves us Gibbs. With pick 2. Assuming we get Gibbs at 2, our priorities I feel would be as per below.

20 – Key position defender
22 – Skillful forward flank/pocket polished disposal and goal sense a MUST
35 – Fast Winger (outside receiver type) with polished disposal

I think our best 22 next year should make a huge difference and can’t see why we shouldn’t be pressing for a finals berth.

Here it is.

FB: McVeigh, Fletcher, M. Johnson
HB: McPhee, Lucus, NLM
C: Acker, Stanton, Campo
HF: Lovett, Lloyd, Monfries
FF: Hird, Johns, Gibbs
Rov: Hill, J Johnson, J Watson

Int. Bradley, Solomon, Laycock, Winderlich

Anyone agree, disagree or predicting any other possible movements?
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

We have picks 2, 18, 20, 36 and 52.

If either South Australian sides want Nash, we'd be stupid to trade him. Their lists are both in better positions than ours.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I am a tad confused about your draft selections - I think antcl seems to have it right.

I doubt we will trade Welsh and I doubt Brisbane would forgoe a $400,000 a year Brownlow medalist for him and Pick 38 (36)

My suspicion is we will use our second draft selection (not priority selection) - pick 20 straight up for Aker.

I am a huge Gibbs fan but you mention Carlton's need for a key defender - I suspect that our need for such a player is as acute given the pathtic defense we had all year and with the liklihood of Fletcher finishing up in 2 seasons.

However, there are risks in taking such a player as they are not so obviously developed as say a smaller mid fielder like Gibbs.

However, if Gibbs is available I think we should take him anayway as he is widely considered as good as any player every taken in previous drafts, including the likes of Judd.

My suspicion is that Lee is the best option we currently have for CHB but I like the idea of Laycock being groomed for this role. He is mobile, strong and tall. He would also be less prone to injury in this position than say in the ruck.

I would like to think that we do draft a tall defender with pick 18.

My best team for next year assuming the above will be (and this changes all the time but for today at least...)

McVeigh Fletcher Welsh
Lovett-Murray Laycock McPhee
Dyson Watson Camporeale
Hird Lucas Akermanis
Monfries Lloyd Lovett

Hille Stanton J Johnson

I/C M Johnson, Gibbs, Bradley, Ryder

On the fringe

Lee, Slattery, Johns, Nash, Dempsey, Lonergan, Lucy, Solomon, Peverill
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

That's a good side Windy but wouldn't MJ start on the ground?
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

nice side windy, CJ in Bradley out for me. also i dnt no about laycock
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

im with rama that CJ should be in the side, and I think lucas should go to CHB.

but agree that our priority this draft is KP defenders