No PSD for Aker

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

No PSD for Aker

Post by j-mac31 »

I'm not sure if the possibility of getting Akermanis in the pre-season draft has been floated, but it won't work, a trade must be done to get him from Brisbane.

He still has a year to go on his contract and Olarenshaw said that if a trade wasn't agreed upon, he would stay.

Matthews also said that Akermanis might stay next year.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

No, i would have thought he wouldn't make it to the PSD, someone would pick him up in the draft anyway.

If anything, he'll be traded. the lions arn't going to give him up for nothing
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: No PSD for Aker

Post by swoodley »

j-mac wrote:I'm not sure if the possibility of getting Akermanis in the pre-season draft has been floated, but it won't work, a trade must be done to get him from Brisbane.

He still has a year to go on his contract and Olarenshaw said that if a trade wasn't agreed upon, he would stay.

Matthews also said that Akermanis might stay next year
And the process begins...this reeks of setting the scene for Brisbane and Akermanis gouging as much as possible out of potential suitors.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Look, there's no doubt that Akermanis is a great player and would make a great addition to most sides, but Brisbane have to be realistic, they are not going to get the world for him.

If Essendon could trade two players for him that would be, in my opinion, the best outcome because therefore it frees up a bit of room on the list to be fully involved in this superstar draft and Essendon have the extra picks in the first round to use. If that dosen't eventuate, then the question must be asked, is he worth giving up a first round pick for.

Mabye the bonus priority pick and a player, but nothing more than that
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Aker is Gone!!!! No way on earth the Lions will back down now. Matthews is simply trying to up his market value. He wants a top 20 pick but what if every other club calls his bluff?
Tamworth Bomber
Top Up Player

Post by Tamworth Bomber »

I think Brisbane will want to do a trade. If Mathews won't trade him, Acka would continue to destabilise their playing group because he would want out. Mathews knows this & will trade him (hopefully to us). Initially when word first got out about Acka coming to us, I was against it. But the more I have thought about it, the more I like the idea - but not for our draft picks.
nemir
Top Up Player

Post by nemir »

dom_105 wrote:Look, there's no doubt that Akermanis is a great player and would make a great addition to most sides, but Brisbane have to be realistic, they are not going to get the world for him.

If Essendon could trade two players for him that would be, in my opinion, the best outcome because therefore it frees up a bit of room on the list to be fully involved in this superstar draft and Essendon have the extra picks in the first round to use. If that dosen't eventuate, then the question must be asked, is he worth giving up a first round pick for.

Mabye the bonus priority pick and a player, but nothing more than that

Dom, I don't know what you're smoking, but you're seriously over rating the value of Aker. He's 30. He's got 3 years left. 4 at best. And the next two will be his best years.

Counting a loss of some games due to injury over that time, that means he could play around 55 or 60 games total.

In this draft, if our first three picks don't get us 200+ game players, I'll eat my shorts man.

If they want any one of our first three picks, they'll have to fork out something way better than just aker.

Don't forget that we already have a young bunch of pretty fine players who'll all be competiting with him for the sort of position and roles that he'd be playing.

I also believe that it would take a little bit of time for him to get his mojo back, after this season's lack of games.

And while there might seem to be a bidding frenzy, the Melbourne clubs are all understanding that Brisbane are committed to getting rid of him. From Brisbane's point of view, anything they get is a bonus, cause it means they're not having to pay him out this season.
mrredfox
High Draft Pick

Post by mrredfox »

Aker will not be at Lions next year and Brissy will take the best offer. If they dont then he will go in PSD as there is no way he would play for Brissy next year and they arent going to pay him to galavant around the country side
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Windy_Hill wrote:Aker is Gone!!!! No way on earth the Lions will back down now. Matthews is simply trying to up his market value. He wants a top 20 pick but what if every other club calls his bluff?

exactly!
Ramanama
Regular Senior Player

Post by Ramanama »

Windy_Hill wrote:Aker is Gone!!!! No way on earth the Lions will back down now. Matthews is simply trying to up his market value. He wants a top 20 pick but what if every other club calls his bluff?

exactly!
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

exactly! :wink:
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

I love the Lions fans bullshit, "We are in prime position you have to give us what we want hahaha."
Uh no we'll give you what you want and if you dont take it then enjoy paying Aker to sit on his ass next year.
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

not to mention trying to fit him into the salary cap that will have 475-800,000 of Vosses money.....
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

However there will be a big bidding war which will bump up his market price.

Clubs will simply not let him slip by.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

The bidding war has begun with the Bulldogs upping the ante for Aka.

I say he is worth no more than Pick 20 and 350K-400K per annum.

Anything beyond that I would baulk at. Would prefer to look at Spida's value to the side that could do with a similar injection that John Barnes delivered to the side.