Carrrlton...seriously Farked!!!!

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

Carrrlton...seriously Farked!!!!

Post by Filthy »

Geez I am so upset about this. :roll:

Blues: We're far worse than Fitzroy
30 January 2007 Herald-Sun
Mark Stevens

CARLTON is in a more perilous financial state than a dying Fitzroy and at risk of being merged or shipped off interstate.

That is the blunt assessment of the Blues' own finance director, Marcus Rose.

Rose, the mastermind of plans to redevelop Princes Park, said yesterday the club had to make significant changes to improve its income streams.

"Carlton's financial position is far worse than that of Fitzroy that was swallowed by Brisbane and sent interstate in the 1990s," Rose said.

"If the club does not make dramatic changes to improve its income generation, but continues to rely on the same things it has been doing, it runs the risk of either being amalgamated with another team or forced interstate by the AFL."

Described as a fantasy by its deriders, Rose said the $67 million redevelopment of Princes Park would wipe away the club's debt and remove it from the endangered list.

Rose, up for re-election on February 6 as part of president Graham Smorgon's Carlton Unity ticket, said the Blues now had no choice but to think outside the square.

Carlton Unity claims that the redevelopment and linked financial strategy will be outranked in size and boldness by only the AFL's $780 million media deal.

Rose said the struggling Blues' balance sheet showed $7.5 million in negative net assets.

"The club started the 21st century with more debt and liabilities than any other club has ever carried. Notwithstanding that the position has improved, its underlying financial circumstance has in effect proven to be intractable," Rose said.

"Carlton's position has reached the point where it can no longer be certain that the usual revenue-generating methods that it and the other football clubs have been employing will extricate it from its current and prospective financial circumstance.

"Membership, corporate sponsors, raffles, poker machines, donations and the like, as vital as they are, are unlikely to produce sufficient revenue, at acceptable margins, to guarantee Carlton's independence in the foreseeable future.

"Regardless of who comes to office following the election, if the club continues to do the same old things that it has been doing, and which are essentially being advocated by the rival tickets and candidates, the club, in my opinion, will not exist in its present form."

Fitzroy merged with the Brisbane Lions at the end of the 1996 season.

The Blues were a powerhouse in the same mid-1990s era, winning a flag in 1995 and losing only two games. Back then it was unthinkable that the mighty club would fall to the depths of the Lions financially.

The Carlton Unity ticket recently announced a proposed Stage 2 redevelopment as a key plank in its re-election campaign.

Planned to expand on the approved Stage 1 elite training facility, it would create a new community hub at Princes Park, initially to be known as Carlton Community Park.

The Stage 2 redevelopment also calls for the establishment of an investment company, CFC Investments, to develop and operate the new buildings.

"Once fully implemented, Carlton will be debt-free, it will receive future dividends and cash flow and see a significant enhancement in its balance sheet, which currently has $7.5 million in negative net assets," Rose said.

"I believe this strategy will secure the future of the club and its independence. It will re-establish the Carlton Football Club as the pre-eminent sporting organisation in the country."

Plans for Stage 2 will only go ahead if Rose and other members of the Carlton Unity ticket are re-elected.

"It will enable Carlton to reinvest in its football team by providing it with the infrastructure and resources, particularly in the sports medicine field, it requires," Rose said.

Rose said a series of negative factors had had an impact on the Blues in recent years.

The included a $1 million fine for salary cap breaches, expensive long-term contracts to leading players and maintenance of a deteriorating stadium.
Doctor Fish
Regular Senior Player

Post by Doctor Fish »

"Carlton" and "unity"??? They're kidding aren't they? :roll:
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Eat shit Carlton. Its your own fault. As far as new buildings go they have got to be kidding. Theyre right in the middle of parkland. They should get rid of a lot of that monstrosity legends stand for starters.

Maybe its poetic justice. They raped Fitzroy when they were a tenant at no-name park so now its their turn.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

They've got themselves into all this trouble so f*** them.

Maybe they could sell some of their home games!!!
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

robrulz5 wrote:They've got themselves into all this trouble so f*** them.

Sounds like a good idea. They said themselves they need to think outside the square. I reckon Gold Coast is far enough outside the square although I think somone once suggested Baghdad which is hard to top. Maybe they could play Collingwood there.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Carlton are in strife, but they are not in danger of folding or relocating as the article alleges.

Marcus Rose just wants the Carlton members to think that so they vote for his ticket to redevelop Princes Park. He is trying to scare them into voting his way. That's all.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Crowny wrote:
robrulz5 wrote:They've got themselves into all this trouble so f*** them.

Sounds like a good idea. They said themselves they need to think outside the square. I reckon Gold Coast is far enough outside the square although I think somone once suggested Baghdad which is hard to top. Maybe they could play Collingwood there.
A one way trip to the moon maybe.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I obviously don't give a tinkers cuss what happens to them, but it is rather scary that this could happen to any club regardless of historical stature, success and supporter base. Let's hope our administration will always be a sound, competent and responsible one......
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

BenDoolan wrote:I obviously don't give a tinkers cuss what happens to them, but it is rather scary that this could happen to any club regardless of historical stature, success and supporter base. Let's hope our administration will always be a sound, competent and responsible one......
Simple....hand cuff PJ to his desk. :wink:
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

It all reeks of deperate men prepared to do desperate things. If Rose's outside the square strategy is so gilt edged, why the hell isnt every club in the league betting the family jewels to generate extra revenues??

Isnt the over capitalisation of Princes Park half the reason they are in the shitter now???

Having said this, there is no way in hell the AFL will let Carlton sink into the mire. The whole broadcasting deal is dependent on there being 16 clubs
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Windy_Hill wrote:It all reeks of deperate men prepared to do desperate things. If Rose's outside the square strategy is so gilt edged, why the hell isnt every club in the league betting the family jewels to generate extra revenues??

Isnt the over capitalisation of Princes Park half the reason they are in the shitter now???

Having said this, there is no way in hell the AFL will let Carlton sink into the mire. The whole broadcasting deal is dependent on there being 16 clubs
In the competition yes, but there's nothing about retaining them all in Melbourne so off to the boondocks for the blues :twisted:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

swoodley wrote:
Windy_Hill wrote:It all reeks of deperate men prepared to do desperate things. If Rose's outside the square strategy is so gilt edged, why the hell isnt every club in the league betting the family jewels to generate extra revenues??

In the competition yes, but there's nothing about retaining them all in Melbourne so off to the boondocks for the blues :twisted:
Thats it swoods. The AFL and the broadcasters would be happy to see Carlton moved interstate to improve there exposure in non footballing regions (ie NSW/QLD).

Go the Gold Coast Blues!!! :shock:
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

BenDoolan wrote:I obviously don't give a tinkers cuss what happens to them, but it is rather scary that this could happen to any club regardless of historical stature, success and supporter base. Let's hope our administration will always be a sound, competent and responsible one......

Benny their "success" is one of the reasons they are in the shitter right now. Every time they looked like they were going to slide they propped themselves up by buying players or in some cases paying them to stay away from other clubs eg Craig Bradley
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

As much as I hate Carlton I wouldn't want them to fold or move interstate permanetly.

We have a good rivalry with them and I wouldn't want to lose that.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Rivalries come and go and if they were to be relocated, then there would be one less club in Melbourne vying for the sponsorship dollar.

Western Red's point about them playing in a non traditional state and improving the games exposure also makes good sense.

So piss 'em off up North and they can take John Elliott with them :twisted:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
On the Rookie List

Post by 84859300 »

The AFL has alway touted the Sydney market as a good option to introduce a second AFL team and it has more than enough population to support two teams. With Telstra Stadium, the SCG and the new stadium being built in the Western suburbs opens up plenty of situations for cross town rivelry.

It really just leaves it up to who out of the current 10 Melbourne teams will now go and fill that role.

Hawthorn has taken over from the Saints in Tassie. North have sold their sole for the Gold Coast. Doesn't leave too many options.

I too hope our admin perform, not resting on laurels of a healthy bank balance just for 2007.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

If they move to the Gold Coast they can live next door to the Lions again. It will be like old times when they were in neighbouring suburbs.
Western Red
Regular Senior Player

Post by Western Red »

Rose has resigned!!!!

They are stuffed!!!
Rossoneri
Essendon Legend

Post by Rossoneri »

Re-locate to the Phillipines.

They they can be known as the Manilla Folders :lol:

*I heard it on SEN before, old but still good when its about Carlton.
He kicks on the left
He kicks on the riiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttt
That boy Hurley
Makes Riewoldt look shite!
F111
Essendon Legend

Fallout

Post by F111 »

Blues director falls on his sword over merger comments

Jake Niall
January 31, 2007

CARLTON director Marcus Rose, the architect of the club's ambitious redevelopment of its ground, yesterday resigned from the board following a fallout from comments he made about the club's parlous financial state.

Rose yesterday offered his resignation to president Graham Smorgon following discussions with the Carlton Unity ticket, saying he did not wish to be responsible for hurting the electoral prospects of other board members.

Rose had compared Carlton's financial position to that of Fitzroy before it went into administration and was forced into a merger with Brisbane, but Rose yesterday told his fellow directors, and Smorgon, that he had not intended to harm the board and that his comments — made to sell the necessity of the $67 million redevelopment plan — did not reflect the club's position.

As a result of the Rose resignation, 13 candidates are now vying for 10 board positions, with one of the challengers, Ari Suss, almost certain to be elected, given that he has been recommended for the 10th spot by the Carlton Unity ticket — which is opposed to the re-election of rebel director Lauraine Diggins.

Votes cast for Rose now will be ignored with the other names marked on the ballot to count. The polls close on Friday.

"I was just trying to draw the scenario that, given Carlton's financial circumstances and given the facts that, you know, it was having difficulties balancing the books, that it required to develop new avenues of new income-producing revenues." Rose said of his comments.

"It (the re-development) could deliver profits and earnings and cash flows and whatever have you. It's not pie in the sky, the bloody thing will happen. I mean, we've got to get it past the council."

The investment bank Babcock and Brown and BankWest are backing the deal, and one of the former's conditions is that Smorgon and Rose sit on the board of the investment company that would own the redevelopment.

Rose said while he was no longer a director of the club, he was willing to sit on the board of that new entity to ensure the deal happened.

"I'm prepared to help them … If it comes to getting the deal across the line, and Carlton want me to, I'm happy to make myself available and sit on that board, to get the deal across the line for Carlton," he said.

"It's desperately needed. There's no question about it. It's having difficulty balancing the books. Regardless of what you're hearing, the fact of the matter is that the club is going to have another half-million-dollar cash shortfall in 2007 and it, you know, can't continue to do that. It needs to get further revenue streams," he said.

Rose said it had been his own decision to resign.

"Having created a controversial situation that may adversely affect the chances of other Carlton Unity members, I just didn't want to be in a situation where anyone could turn around and blame me for a loss or some members not be elected, and appointments and so forth," he said.

"For my part, I thought the appropriate thing to do was to resign."

Rose said he had spoken to all the Carlton Unity members to explain the circumstances of "how the interview and the article came about".

"After that, I spoke to Graham and in the discussion with Graham, I said to him, 'I don't want to be in any way responsible for any of you guys not getting across the line and perhaps in the circumstances it would be best if I resign'."

Smorgon said Rose regretted his comments. "Marcus has admitted that if he were to conduct the interview again, he would do so very differently. He understands the position his comments have put him in and as a result, he has retired. Marcus has been a valuable member of the Carlton board since late 2002 and his contribution in a number of areas has been appreciated.

"I assure all Carlton supporters and indeed the football public that the Carlton Football Club will not be relocating or merging with another club. This is simply not an option for our club and it has not been and will not be considered by the Carlton Football Club board under my watch."