NAB Rising Star

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
DYSON#2

NAB Rising Star

Post by DYSON#2 »

My prediction is from Andrew Raines & Grant Birchall*

Will be tight, been lots of good consistant performances. Will be interesting. Some very proven players have won the award, last years being Brett Deleidio
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

I think Pearce might get it. Raines also close. Not sure if Birchall played enough games, but did very well towards the end of the year.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

Living in Victoria, we don't really realise how good Pearce is. He'll win it.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

The 20th loser Shaw will probably get it with the way the AFL are trying to hand the filth success this year.

Marc Murphy is the best player to come out of this year but he did not play enough.

Is anyone else slightly concerned that we did not even produce a nominee in such a shithouse year when we should have been blooding some younger players for the future
johng
Club Captain

Post by johng »

I`ll go Pearce, Shaw and raines have been obviously good, but I`ll go the mid-fielder.
Member 1973-
Missed 4 games in Vic.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Yeah i reckon Pearce has to win. I have watched a bit off him over the last few weeks, and he is going to be one hell of a player. Very very good.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Its raining raines!

He'll win it by a bit i reckon!
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Living in WA (18 years this week), I don't seem to hate collingwood so much anymore (I f****** detest the eagles) and from what I've seen on the box, Shaw would be a deserving winner. I tend to agree with johng though as Pearce has a touch of class and I really enjoy watching him.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

pearce showed alot and deserves to win it
A Smith and Wesson beat 4 aces
sconsey
On the Rookie List

Post by sconsey »

I read an article in the age a few weeks ago about Pearce. I havn't watched him much, though when I've seen him, he has looked quite good...How's this for commitment, and determination. The age article mentioned that he was training to be a chief, though left one night to go to footy training, and the cook said he would never make it! Was also trying out for his state team in Basketball, he skipped a training session for footy training, and the coach dropped him and said he would never make it as a footballer....I suppose we get to see whose laughing now :P
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

Raines has it in the bag for mine.

And as a special note - the guest speaker for the count tomorrow - Rama.
BT's resident umpire
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Pearce
Raines
Murphy
Shaw
Bartram

I reckon Murph will get a lot of "3s and 2s" because the judges will feel he still needs to be recognised for half the season.

Quite a good year for new kids, great 5 up there plus chuck in Bate, Birchall, Thomas, Polo, LeCras, etc.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

If Murphy had have played another handful of games, he would still take it out. Gun player.
Pazza
Essendon Legend

Post by Pazza »

That's the sad thing about it all. Murphy's season was amazing - then it was over in a flash - and people forgot him quickly.
BT's resident umpire
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

For attitude, it should be Pearce.

Do any of you remember the interview with him after we lost to Port?

He was asked about how he was coping with the extra training that Williams had them doing and whether or not the players were getting sick of it.

His reply was something like this:

How could I be sick of it...I'm living every young Australians dream of playing in the AFL. If I was sick of it, I shouldn't be playing.

That's not completely accurate but it was along those lines and said with a mixture of both pride and humility.

Very impressive stuff I thought at the time (and still do)

AND HE CAN PLAY
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Pearce.

Were any young Dons even a possibility of being nominated?

I think CJ was eligible but didnt do enough. Maybe Nash?
nemir
Top Up Player

Post by nemir »

bomberdonnie wrote:The 20th loser Shaw will probably get it with the way the AFL are trying to hand the filth success this year.

Marc Murphy is the best player to come out of this year but he did not play enough.

Is anyone else slightly concerned that we did not even produce a nominee in such a shithouse year when we should have been blooding some younger players for the future
No, not particulalry concerned. We didn't actually have a head of players eligiable at the start of the year and those that were weren't quite ready for senior footy or spent too much time on the sidelines with injuries.

One thing is for sure though, if the Gibbs hype doesn't hand him the Rising Star next year, then the boy Dempsey has a great shot at it.
antcl
Top Up Player

Post by antcl »

Its very very concerning we didn't have anyone good enough to win a nomination.

Slattery, Nash, Cartledge, Johns, Lee plus the 2005 draftees didn't show enough to get a nomination.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

Danyle Pearce WINS the NAB rising star award with 43 of a possible 45 votes from Raines on 33 and Shaw 31
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

i suppose no suprises in the end!