Round 7 vs Kangaroos

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Round 7 vs Kangaroos

Post by BenDoolan »

Flip wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Stanton can't win.

Poor bastard gets knocked for not being defensive and now he's being knocked for being too defensive.
Indeed.

It is not as if the team and he are not trying their guts out. It is not our time ATM.....what goes around comes around.
LOL, "he tries his guts out".

More like he drops his guts when the heat is on.

But watch him come out against the "MIGHTY" Lions next week and put in a "oh look how good he is" performance...
Essendunny
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip »

More of a general comment about the team trying Ben. Just feel after this week and last 2.5 years it isn't helpful bagging individuals after listening to Hirdy and Bomber talking about Dudes not sleeping, stressing, training like under 10's etc this week.

I assume Mental Illness is included in OH&S issues in Workcover claims as I am sure some of guys will be putting claims in, in the future.

Inhuman what these young blokes have been put through for the sakes of ego's, politics, AFL face saving, MSM wanting to sell product etc. If I hear another "commentor" say "I feel for the players BUT"...." I'll fling the radio.

Just wrong.....cruel.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

although stants is an easy target, there are many others. one i'd like more heat on his Hibberd, He is barely a shadow of his best. hasn't got the pace to man up, barely takes a contested mark anymore, hand and foot skills have dropped off terribly, and where is his run off half-back from a couple of years ago?

and there is something inherently wrong with our team atm - and i'm not sure it has anything to do with asada / wada. i suspect it is more about the message and gameplan. players appear so uncertain.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

tonysoprano wrote:although stants is an easy target, there are many others. one i'd like more heat on his Hibberd, He is barely a shadow of his best. hasn't got the pace to man up, barely takes a contested mark anymore, hand and foot skills have dropped off terribly, and where is his run off half-back from a couple of years ago?

and there is something inherently wrong with our team atm - and i'm not sure it has anything to do with asada / wada. i suspect it is more about the message and gameplan. players appear so uncertain.
Agree.

They look "lost" out there. The coaching has a lot to do with it.

I just want to know what happened to exhibit A (R1 & R2), and why we're stuck with exhibit B ever since...
Essendunny
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

I don't think people understand how debilitating this whole saga has been and is for the players and staff and their families. We supporters know how its been for us but we cannot get a clear picture of what its been like for them unless, we are around them and they let us in. Even Jobe is starting to show the strain, some days he looks very wrung out. James Hird has aged in the last couple of years since this began. Everyone is experiencing the drama and doing their best to perform despite living on the edge of something uncontrollable and unpredictable. At least now, there is an end in sight because there is NO appeal after CAS. The decision handed down is final. The players must be thinking about the what if's. We must think about the what ifs because so much since this began has been unknowable. Even the experts have been wrong in their predictions. We'd like some surety around the future but there is none. Only hope and a belief that all will be well.

Its much easier to understand a physical injury because it can be easily seen but the mental and emotional stuff, is hidden and unseen. People might have the idea, the players are physically strong and tough, they should be able to deal with or handle whatever comes. They'll all be handling it in their own way and some much better than others. Even the Essendon players not part of the supplements program, will be affected and effected by the consequences just by being around those who are. When the booing and the harsh criticism starts, it affects ALL the players not just those whose confidentiality has been breached in the media, ALL the players who form part of the EFC team.

Fortunately, we are getting better at expressing feelings but it is the helplessness surrounding this event which must be hard. We can intellectually understand it but feeling it, is entirely different. Beliefs about how things should be, ought to be and how they really are. The gap or the difference in between, represents the breaching and betrayal of trust, personal boundaries and beliefs.

In some way we are all being forced to learn about discernment and discrimination. For all associated with the EFC it is a bitter sweet experience and as a result we will all be changed.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip »

mdso wrote:I don't think people understand how debilitating this whole saga has been and is for the players and staff and their families. We supporters know how its been for us but we cannot get a clear picture of what its been like for them unless, we are around them and they let us in. Even Jobe is starting to show the strain, some days he looks very wrung out. James Hird has aged in the last couple of years since this began. Everyone is experiencing the drama and doing their best to perform despite living on the edge of something uncontrollable and unpredictable. At least now, there is an end in sight because there is NO appeal after CAS. The decision handed down is final. The players must be thinking about the what if's. We must think about the what ifs because so much since this began has been unknowable. Even the experts have been wrong in their predictions. We'd like some surety around the future but there is none. Only hope and a belief that all will be well.

Its much easier to understand a physical injury because it can be easily seen but the mental and emotional stuff, is hidden and unseen. People might have the idea, the players are physically strong and tough, they should be able to deal with or handle whatever comes. They'll all be handling it in their own way and some much better than others. Even the Essendon players not part of the supplements program, will be affected and effected by the consequences just by being around those who are. When the booing and the harsh criticism starts, it affects ALL the players not just those whose confidentiality has been breached in the media, ALL the players who form part of the EFC team.

Fortunately, we are getting better at expressing feelings but it is the helplessness surrounding this event which must be hard. We can intellectually understand it but feeling it, is entirely different. Beliefs about how things should be, ought to be and how they really are. The gap or the difference in between, represents the breaching and betrayal of trust, personal boundaries and beliefs.

In some way we are all being forced to learn about discernment and discrimination. For all associated with the EFC it is a bitter sweet experience and as a result we will all be changed.
well said =D>
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Could we please stop attributing the deplorable disposal skills, and the commical game design on the saga. Thanks.
Essendunny
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Windy_Hill wrote:But then you can add not paying McKernan his mark.
Or free kick for arm holding.

Lindsay Thomas is a c***.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:Could we please stop attributing the deplorable disposal skills, and the commical game design on the saga. Thanks.
+1.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Sismis wrote:Took the game on and drastically reduced the negative ball movement. Ironically we were beaten by their better control of the ball, but I'm willing to wear that as we are taking steps forward.
While I did like the quicker playing on compared to recent games, I thought there were times this week where played on quickly when there was nothing on. It's just as stupid as playing slowly.

And someone needs to tell Hurley that when he's going back to take a kick after a mark to not crab walk sideways and get called for play on.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Stanton can't win.

Poor bastard gets knocked for not being defensive and now he's being knocked for being too defensive.
Not at all. The clanger king was at it again. Also loved his involvement in a flow of run through the middle where he turned it into a hesitant turnover. Loved the way he sat off contests when he should have got involved.
THIS!

That one in the middle was the perfect example of why he is simply not good enough. He does not make the right decisions.

I'm prepared to give young guys (somewhat of) a pass, but not someone who's played over 200 games.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Also one passage of play perfectly summed up why Dempsey isn't up to it. He actually attacked the ball, won the contest as the ball sat up, ran down the wing and kicked it to... the feet of our tallest player. Great "X-Factor" work.
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

There is one plain reason why we are in this predicament. Too many plodders in the midfield. Bj and Stants are demanding the ball behind the play and Watson and Heppell are busting their guts at the coal face.

We are too easy too defend. The amount of times i saw bj and stants get closed down and pressured was ridiculous.

Need Cooney, Chappy, Zaka as outside to rotate through. Unfortunately its going to be slow grind out wins or honourable losses all year.
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

BenDoolan wrote:Could we please stop attributing the deplorable disposal skills, and the commical game design on the saga. Thanks.
Firstly I agree with this.

Out of curiousity, I don't remember you ever being this vocal with your criticisms or perhaps you were less blunt about it. Do I not remember correctly or has the past 3 years (and more) of shit on and off the field changed you ? It's okay if it has cause it changed me too.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

JP_40 wrote:

Out of curiousity, I don't remember you ever being this vocal with your criticisms or perhaps you were less blunt about it. Do I not remember correctly or has the past 3 years (and more) of shit on and off the field changed you ? It's okay if it has cause it changed me too.
My anger levels have increased in every facet of AFL. AFL Headquarters can GAGF. The other 17 clubs and their presidents can GAGF. AFL Media can GAGF. ASADA can GAGF. And so can WADA.

But the same dumb habits that this club has consistently delivered for a dozen years or so just keeps on keeping on. Tired of it. Have not won a final since 2004. Unless there's a bit of ruthlessness around the place, there won't be any in the future either.
Essendunny
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

BenDoolan wrote:
JP_40 wrote:

My anger levels have increased in every facet of AFL. AFL Headquarters can GAGF. The other 17 clubs and their presidents can GAGF. AFL Media can GAGF. ASADA can GAGF. And so can WADA.

But the same dumb habits that this club has consistently delivered for a dozen years or so just keeps on keeping on. Tired of it. Have not won a final since 2004. Unless there's a bit of ruthlessness around the place, there won't be any in the future either.
I get it. Fair enough too. I've certainly found that the past few years challenging and very anti everyone else and the AFL. They can all get farked. I was excited by the start to the season, thought we started well and then as usual we drop off and play mediocre football. Then the shit flares up again, the media start etc. I've now given up watching any AFL related show now. All I am doing now is just going to the games, VFL games, non-ASADA threads online and that's about it.

I wish we could stick it up everyone else but not with the way we're playing currently. Even Jazz told me off last night for being pessimistic. I didn't give us a chance at all last night. So I was surprised by the closeness of the game. I'm finding as I'm getting older now that football really does play a small part of life. It doesn't consume my life as it once did. I will never not go to games or not renew my memberships, heck I went to Sydney and Perth already this year with other interstate games planned later this season. I have to keep telling myself one day this will be worth it. It just has to be.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

JP, I think your last sentence summed up what most of us are probably feeling.
We'll always be EFC through and through, and we'll always be hoping for the best.
During the down times (for whatever reason/excuse) we'll be less optimistic and more frustrated, but it's going through those times that makes the eventual (and it will be) success so worthwhile.
I remember the really bad times and the successes that followed through the 80's and after, and there was nothing sweeter, simply because I had observed and endured the lean times and then watched the buildup toward that ultimate success.
It's a cycle, no-one stays on top forever, and our time will come. It's our passion that drives eventual success - never lose hope.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

So many relevant comments, where does one start?
Maybe firstly - ASADA/WADA etc - no influence. As BD says, stop making excuses. Any number of AFL footballers have stated that once you're on the field these 'issues' have no influence. And why should they?
Gameplan was better. Did the coach's message change, or did the players execute the plan better?? Who knows.
Stanton - have a good look at the game. Tried his utmost. Not his fault others didn't play their role. Criticising Stanton is like criticising Heppell for not kicking 4 goals. Simply not what they're out there to do.
Dempsey - actually did a lot of good things. Why do people pick out the errors?? Jobe and Heppell made plenty of errors too. Take a look.
The gameplan. Personally, I blame it on the coaches.
If the plan is wrong, it is the coaches fault. If the players don't execute the plan properly, then you can blame that on the coaches for not having the ability to communicate and instruct the plan properly.
Hird et al have got off lightly so far this season, although I notice some of the media are slowly beginning to question where the fault lies.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote:So many relevant comments, where does one start?
Maybe firstly - ASADA/WADA etc - no influence. As BD says, stop making excuses. Any number of AFL footballers have stated that once you're on the field these 'issues' have no influence. And why should they?
Gameplan was better. Did the coach's message change, or did the players execute the plan better?? Who knows.
Stanton - have a good look at the game. Tried his utmost. Not his fault others didn't play their role. Criticising Stanton is like criticising Heppell for not kicking 4 goals. Simply not what they're out there to do.
Dempsey - actually did a lot of good things. Why do people pick out the errors?? Jobe and Heppell made plenty of errors too. Take a look.
The gameplan. Personally, I blame it on the coaches.
If the plan is wrong, it is the coaches fault. If the players don't execute the plan properly, then you can blame that on the coaches for not having the ability to communicate and instruct the plan properly.
Hird et al have got off lightly so far this season, although I notice some of the media are slowly beginning to question where the fault lies.
Stanton and Heppell should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

I can wear Heppell's "errors" simply because he throws himself into the thick of the action and generally extracts the footy in most of them. The next disposal is always under extreme pressure, and naturally, not all of them will land in our hands. 16 contested possessions compared to 4 (Stanton), you expect a few astray disposals from Heppa. But despite that, Heppell only had one clanger to 5 from Stanton. One guy is 23, the other 29. And.....Heppell did have 4 shots at goal.
Essendunny
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

JP_40 wrote: I have to keep telling myself one day this will be worth it. It just has to be.

One day and it may not be soon we will all be at the MCG watching our captain and coach hold a premiership cup aloft. When that happens and it will one day it will all be worth it.