List Assessment (so far in 2015)

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

List Assessment (so far in 2015)

Post by BenDoolan »

Just my observations...

1. Michael Hibberd - his effectiveness and reliability has decreased compared to seasons past. Needs to lift.
2. Tom Bellchambers - very disappointing. There may be reasons, but we need him to dramatically improve his output and effectiveness.
3. Paul Chapman - not the same impact as last year due to injuries and age.
4. Jobe Watson - surprisingly getting caught with the ball a fair bit, and showing signs of hesitation with decision making. Something we haven't seen from Jobe in years.
5. Brent Stanton - ineffective and playing below his "normal standard".
6. Joe Daniher - slight improvement on last year, but needs to put a full 120 minutes together.
7. Zach Merrett - has put in some solid performances this season. A definite tick so far.
8. Jason Winderlich - N/A
9. Brendan Goddard - has played consistently so far this season, however, not at the usual high level we've witnessed before.
10. Nick O'Brien - why can't this guy crack a game? If he hasn't demonstrated that he's "AFL worthy", then piss him off.
11. David Zaharakis - playing below par before his injury. Needs to lift.
12. Mark Baguley - fantastic. Used to think he was the poor man's Hibberd, but has now become more reliable and effective than Pig.
13. Adam Cooney - started very well. But his injury proneness may frustrate us.
14. Jason Ashby - struggling to make an impact.
15. Courtenay Dempsey - still produces the clangers from hell. Should be in control of his game and position on the field, but he ain't.
16. Tayte Pears - what's the go?
17. Jake Melksham - has played an important role and done it well so far this season in the absence of Heater.
18. Michael Hurley - has been great. A natural defender who is in tip top form.
19. Shaun Edwards - why not give him a crack? FFS.
20. Jackson Merrett - wondering if he has more improvement in him. Just appears to be the same Jackson Merrett of season's past.
21. Dyson Heppell - Mr Consistent. Always plays at high level week in and week out.
22. Jake Carlisle - much the same from Buckets. Patches of woefulness mixed with the odd good show. Poor body language doesn't help.
23. David Myers - N/A
24. Alex Browne - what's he look like?
25. Ariel Steinberg - N/A
26. Cale Hooker - started the season like a house on fire. A couple of hiccups recently, but overall, he's been very good.
27. Jonathan Giles - N/A
28. Elliott Kavanagh - see O'Brien.
29. Patrick Ambrose - has made some good minimal contributions. His tackling has been awesome this year though.
30. Kyle Langford - not quite ready, but I can see the talent. Like him to get more games.
31. Dustin Fletcher - just does his job with a minimum of fuss. Still a great spoiler and interceptor. Amazing.
32. Travis Colyer - the only bloke who has the speed to take the game on. Done well so far this season, but can go missing in patches.
33. Jayden Laverde - N/A
34. Jake Long - N/A
35. Martin Gleeson - a clever player who has looked good in stages. Has also been out pointed on other occasions by bigger bodied / experienced players.
36. Lachlan Dalgleish - N/A
38. Nick Kommer - in the running to win the rehab best & fairest award along with Alex Browne.
39. Heath Hocking - N/A
40. Ben Howlett - playing at the same level as previous seasons. Still the tackle king.
41. Will Hams - struggling to make an impact.
42. James Gwilt - plays second fiddle to Fletch. Seemed to go ok in the games he's played.
43. Kurt Aylett - N/A
44. Shaun McKernan - put in a good effort on his first outing with the club. Hope to see more of it.
45. Conor McKenna - N/A
46. Orazio Fantasia - N/A

I reckon there's only about 6 players who you'd regard as improving themselves on last year's efforts - JD, Zach Merrett, Baguley, Melksham, Hurley and Colyer.

The others are either treading water (reached their potential), or are dropping off.

Comments please...
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: List Assessment (so far in 2015)

Post by grassy1 »

Have a word with the 97/98 team boys.Ask them how they turned 2 years of Injuries and Inconsistent,underperformance into better team,then eventual Premiers.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

grassy1 wrote:Have a word with the 97/98 team boys.Ask them how they turned 2 years of Injuries and Inconsistent,underperformance into better team,then eventual Premiers.
Oh you mean the team that had Lloyd, Hird, Long, Misiti, Mercuri, Lucas, Caracella, Blumfield, Heffernan to name just a few? Yeah, similar comparison.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Great collection that.But they struggled for 2 years.No harm in asking them for a bit of collective advice on how they pulled things together,that culminated in That Marvellous season of 2000.I'm sure Hirdy would appreciate any extra input to get us going again.

Him.Harves and Fletch being there is a good start.Any advice from Longy,Smoking Joe or Mercs to our current playing group is welcome in my book.Perhaps not so much on the 15 Year Re-Union Day,where Freeadvice could be abundant after a good function. :wink:
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

grassy1 wrote:Great collection that.But they struggled for 2 years.No harm in asking them for a bit of collective advice on how they pulled things together,that culminated in That Marvellous season of 2000.I'm sure Hirdy would appreciate any extra input to get us going again.

Him.Harves and Fletch being there is a good start.Any advice from Longy,Smoking Joe or Mercs to our current playing group is welcome in my book.Perhaps not so much on the 15 Year Re-Union Day,where Freeadvice could be abundant after a good function. :wink:
They missed the grand final in 1996 by a bees dick, there is zero comparisons between the two sides mate.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

bomberdonnie wrote:
grassy1 wrote:Great collection that.But they struggled for 2 years.No harm in asking them for a bit of collective advice on how they pulled things together,that culminated in That Marvellous season of 2000.I'm sure Hirdy would appreciate any extra input to get us going again.

They missed the grand final in 1996 by a bees dick, there is zero comparisons between the two sides mate.
Two finals by a point? Lockett after the siren?
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

tonysoprano wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:

Two finals by a point? Lockett after the siren?
Still makes me feel sick, then f****** Wanganeen did his Judas impersonation.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Donnie,would you like our boys to have some sort of mentoring by the 96 - 2001 players to help them along a bit.

Or do you simply reject any notion I put up which might help us in some small way?

Are you looking for another Shitfight mate?

We have been warned you know!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

This group should sit down with the 70's gang for comparison. Speaking to blokes like Jack Mihocek, Barry Grinter, Steve Beaumont, Ken Mansfield, Geoff Burdett, Stephen Robins, Craig Barbary etc would do them wonders...
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Ashby, Dalglish, Aylett, Edwards, O'Brien, Kavanagh, J Merrett - not a glimpse of future potential

We have seen nothing from the above either through lack of first game exposure or consistent performances in the VFL

Is it that we draft poorly or we screw up these kids once they enter our system?

I reckon we'd be better sticking with mature age recruits where we have had a significant level of success in recent years - Hibberd, Crameri, Baguely etc
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

Windy_Hill wrote:Ashby, Dalglish, Aylett, Edwards, O'Brien, Kavanagh, J Merrett - not a glimpse of future potential

We have seen nothing from the above either through lack of first game exposure or consistent performances in the VFL

Is it that we draft poorly or we screw up these kids once they enter our system?

I reckon we'd be better sticking with mature age recruits where we have had a significant level of success in recent years - Hibberd, Crameri, Baguely etc
Yeah our history of developing young players is woeful.

I was saying to a bunch of c**** I know the other day, if Melky was drafted by Sydney, he would be a f****** gun by now.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

grassy1 wrote: Are you looking for another Shitfight mate?
Nope, I am allowed to disagree with you though.

This has nothing to do with Boncer slapping us with a wet lettuce leaf either.
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

So many sub par performances its a miracle We are 3-4.

Put a line through Edwards, Kav, Obrien,Aylett. They wont make it. Dalgleish doubtful. Merrett racks em up at VFL level then plays defensive forward at AFL level. Still a glimmer of hope.

Hoping Alex Browne can replace Stanton or Goddard in the second half of the season. Has the size to be an Afl player.

A few injuries, tough start, no excuses next 4 weeks. Give us a realistic view of exactly where we sit
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

Pears is being groomed as a forward option. AFAIK. Kicked a few in the twos.

You should rate the coach too.
Last edited by little_ripper on Wed May 20, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Oh yeah Donnie,at every turn you disagree with me,you Pain in the Arse. :roll:

A lot of the current group don't stack up in your eyes,that's fair enough.

But until season's end,we are stuck with them.Any suggestions from you that might help make them a better team?
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

grassy1 wrote:Oh yeah Donnie,at every turn you disagree with me,you Pain in the Arse. :roll:

A lot of the current group don't stack up in your eyes,that's fair enough.

But until season's end,we are stuck with them.Any suggestions from you that might help make them a better team?
Replace them with robots?
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

Great assessment BD. I'd like to see some hard decisions made at seasons end regarding players who have been at the club for some time without playing much at all or not contributing when in the side. We can't afford to keep players that Rnent going to contribute.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Nah Gimps,nice try.But Arseada would go at us for that,to try and make up for their past Fuckups. :lol:
paddyl90
Champion of Essendon

Post by paddyl90 »

Great summary BD! Cause I am bored and have time I'll post mine below:

Just my observations...

1. Michael Hibberd - definitely not currently playing at the level / standard we know he can play. I think he can turn this around though. You'd hope so.
2. Tom Bellchambers - the guys a wanker, can't stand him. But since this isn't a rate them as a person list, I have stated since Round 1 that he has not looked fit at all. He's only there because he has to be. Bring in Giles we may get more from him. At his best Belly is a great player.
3. Paul Chapman - Agree with BD we haven't got as much of an impact from him as we did last year. But year is still young
4. Jobe Watson - Definitely not been as polished as I remember him being. But still playing to a high standard through most games this year. But can't seem to forget the turnovers, the poor decisions etc. that I'm not used to from him.
5. Brent Stanton - I like the guy, but besides running I don't know what else he does. I don't see his role. Others do.
6. Joe Daniher - I thought his goal kicking improved but we've gone backwards last few weeks. He needs to stop doing dumb things like playing on so quickly after a mark, jumping early for mark, pushing out early and missing from point blank range. Overall more positives for me.
7. Zach Merrett - Along with Trav has become a very important player for us. Love his speed and decision making. A young player I'm genuinely excited to have play for us going forward.
8. Jason Winderlich - N/A
9. Brendan Goddard - Maybe my expectations are too high on him but he's done nothing this year to date that has excited me. Sydney Round 1 was a shocker and big reason why we lost and obviously others too. He gets heaps of disposals each week and generally his skills are awesome but not wowed yet. I expect more.
10. Nick O'Brien - Don't know what the club's plans are with him. Haven't seen anything excited from him since he was drafted.
11. David Zaharakis - definitely hasn't played to the standard he was mid last year. I asked him last night when he got the injury and he said since Round 3 he has played with it. He won't be back this week but will be back for Dreamtime. Once the injury has healed I hope he can get back to that form.
12. Mark Baguley - so reliable, gives his 100% all the time. Big tick for me again this year so far.
13. Adam Cooney - didn't expect to get what we got out of him in first few weeks. I thought his best was past him but hope his injuries can hold off and we can get more out of him.
14. Jason Ashby - Not really either way. Hasn't set the world on fire.
15. Courtenay Dempsey - I like his attempts to take the game on, partiuclarly a nice change from the bomb long and side ways backwards crap. But his skills are poor. He's much better than that I think but it seems people at the club have faith in him. I hope he can find the form we have seen in years past.
16. Tayte Pears - Apparently played alright last week in VFL. Don't see where he fits in anymore.
17. Jake Melksham - I've been impressed with his season so far. Taken up a role vacated by Buddha and Myers. I want him to back himself more, especially with space near 50m to go bang and slot it straight through.
18. Michael Hurley - easily leading our B&F. Kept two of the bestforwards quiet early in season. Has had moments where he's lost his way on field but overall been a pillar of strength in that backline.
19. Shaun Edwards - Don't be fooled by the flash the guy doesn't work hard enough. Stay in the VFL until he proves and shows he's worthy of a spot.
20. Jackson Merrett - Brother has overshadowed him now. However, the guy's roving skills are some of the best in the team in my opinion. He always seems to be in the right spot at fall of the ball. Something I don't see much of with our team.
21. Dyson Heppell - Like Jobe just continues to play at a high standard but has had his moments too this year so far. He'll get better and better as year goes on.
22. Jake Carlisle - Too much winging for my liking. As BD said has his good games and average games.
23. David Myers - f*** we miss him!
24. Alex Browne - A chance to come in this week apparently. I like his effort in VFL but doesn't set the world on fire.
25. Ariel Steinberg - Hasn't played as good as he did last year to date in VFL. Taken mark of the year for sure currently.
26. Cale Hooker - Like Hurley has dominated back there. Who would've thought that 2009 Cale Hooker is the same person that is dominating the league nowadays. Good on him!
27. Jonathan Giles - Bring him in for Belly.
28. Elliott Kavanagh - His off-season antics made me dislike him. Tickets. Work hard and maybe you'll get a game. You're not better than the club. No one else wanted you.
29. Patrick Ambrose - Tackle machine. Otherwise I feel like he generally doesn't offer much else. I want more from him.
30. Kyle Langford - I love that he has been given an opportunity but needs more time in the VFL. Love his hands and skills. I think goal kicking needs to be worked on. Young kid with heaps of potential.
31. Dustin Fletcher - Still does what he does so well. Makes errors a bit more in his old age. But he's Fletch. He's a legend. He can do what he wants.
32. Travis Colyer - my boy Trav. How far he has come. This time last year he wasn't in the team and now hasn't left it since getting in. He has won us 2 games this year by being the only player to take the game on and give life to the team when most gave up. One of our most important players. But he has gone missing at times this year.
33. Jayden Laverde - Excited by this guy. Like the way he moves on the field. With more time I see him being a superstar player for us. Big hopes for this guy.
34. Jake Long - Finding his way in the VFL.
35. Martin Gleeson - How does he not get tackled sometimes. Has been patchy and up and down through games this year but overall rate him. He'll continue to learn.
36. Lachlan Dalgleish - What a great runner. Copped an injury in VFL Round 1 at Sandy. Just got back last week. Will take time.
38. Nick Kommer - honestly don't have high hopes for him returning.
39. Heath Hocking - We need him back.
40. Ben Howlett - Much better start to this year than most of last year. Tackle king as BD said. He told me last night that his body isn't the best at recovering from the hits it cops. But a person in the team you want.
41. Will Hams - definitely earnt his spot into the team in VFL but didn't show much when he got into the team. Been through a lot the guy but he'll need to continue to do well at VFL to get back in.
42. James Gwilt - People raved about him in pre-season. He has shown me nothing. Don't rate him.
43. Kurt Aylett - Unsure where he's at. I like him though.
44. Shaun McKernan - I need more of him in the team.
45. Conor McKenna - Tries hard in VFL, crafty little kicks got to love the Gaelic skills. Will need more time.
46. Orazio Fantasia - I like his effort in the VFL. Still a little way off getting back into AFL team. Like his dash.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Great stuff JP ! =D>

Excellent summations. Thanks for your perspective on both meeting them personally, and what you see up close in the VFL

=D> 8)
Essendunny