AFL 360 Interesting Stats

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Ronny Rotten
High Draft Pick

AFL 360 Interesting Stats

Post by Ronny Rotten »

Watched AFL 360 tonight & saw a David King analysis of the Bombers stoppage structure, or lack of. We have conceded the most number of goals from our stoppages (35) of any side in the 9 games so far. Bomber Thompson was on the panel & he was astounded by that figure.

King said our average losing margin this year is 16 points & said if we were more alert in this area we would have won more games.

On the examples he showed, apart from losing the ruck contest (Bellcho), we did not cover space between the stoppage & the goal allowing easy access to kick goals unimpeded. He put it down to poor on field leadership in not talking & setting up properly. Bomber was flabbergasted again.

While our defense is one of the best , actually the only defense not to allow 5 unanswered goals this year according to King, we have to tidy up this aspect.....QUICKLY.

Interestingly Michael Hurley was on earlier & he comes across as a quiet person & Robbo asked him if he talks much on the ground. Hurley's unsurprisingly said he doesn't say too much on the ground. Bomber (frustrated) again said he wanted Hurley & the others to talk all the time at training & in the match, didn't care if they were quiet at any other time but on match day they had to be constantly talking & watching structures.

It seems we have a few introverts in the team.

C'mon guys get more involved
hop
Club Captain

Re: AFL 360 Interesting Stats

Post by hop »

I disregard everything David King says.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Well, if we had Hocking, Myers and Kommer, we'd be a lot better in that regards. Can't Kingy and Bomber see this???
Essendunny
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

hop wrote:I disregard everything David King says.
As should everyone.
donsgetthere
High Draft Pick

Post by donsgetthere »

BenDoolan wrote:Well, if we had Hocking, Myers and Kommer, we'd be a lot better in that regards. Can't Kingy and Bomber see this???

Kommer hasn't played for twos years nuff nuff.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

donsgetthere wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:Well, if we had Hocking, Myers and Kommer, we'd be a lot better in that regards. Can't Kingy and Bomber see this???

Looks like someone can't pick up Sarcastic Font.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

donsgetthere wrote:

Thanks Albert. The situation never dawned on me.

:lol:
Essendunny
Gyoza
Club Captain

Post by Gyoza »

BenDoolan wrote:
donsgetthere wrote:

Thanks Albert. The situation never dawned on me.

:lol:
Two years getting ready though....how big and strong is he going to be when he gets back??
Like a turd in the swimming pool, these are the days of our EFC lives
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

are keys backs really involved in stoppage play though, even in the backline, they still have to cover their man.

I would more be expecting the midfield types actually involved in the stoppage to be driving the setup and the stoppage. Even if they do setup properly though, we can still end up with a situation where someone like Jake Melksham allows the opposition best midfielder (Cotchin) to run to the other side of the stoppage unmanned, win the clearance and kick a goal.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

hop wrote:I disregard everything David King says.
David King overdoses on Addiction to Perfection and thus suffers from analyses paralyses.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

note melksham on cotchin last week at a stoppage in their f50. for reasons unkown melksham stood on the opposite side of the stoppage to cotchin(opposite goal side too) and left cotchin of all players unmanned goal side. result...goal to cotchin.

why melksham, why???
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Yes Melksham f***** that one up, but otherwise he did a good job limiting his influence on the game.
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

Melksham stiil learning. When Goddard does it you scratch your head. Spent more time pointing than picking his man up. Cost us a few.

Stanton is pretty useless at stoppages also.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

ealesy wrote:are keys backs really involved in stoppage play though, even in the backline, they still have to cover their man.

I would more be expecting the midfield types actually involved in the stoppage to be driving the setup and the stoppage. Even if they do setup properly though, we can still end up with a situation where someone like Jake Melksham allows the opposition best midfielder (Cotchin) to run to the other side of the stoppage unmanned, win the clearance and kick a goal.

The defenders need to be constantly talking to the mids about what they see around the stoppage. Although Melksham's fault the defenders should have been communicating with him about Cotchin being goal side on his own.
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

kelvin_sheedy wrote:Melksham stiil learning. When Goddard does it you scratch your head. Spent more time pointing than picking his man up. Cost us a few.

The only reason I would have Stanton anywhere near a stoppage is in case the ball comes his way so he can take off down field...oh wait, no, I wouldn't have him near them either... :wink:
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

Crazyman wrote:
kelvin_sheedy wrote:Melksham stiil learning. When Goddard does it you scratch your head. Spent more time pointing than picking his man up. Cost us a few.

The only reason I would have Stanton anywhere near a stoppage is in case the ball comes his way so he can take off down field...oh wait, no, I wouldn't have him near them either... :wink:
Well he wears the Number 5 - and he is in the engine room this week.

Let's all sit back and watch 'Brave Sir Robin' slay the Cats.....................................
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

hop wrote:Well he wears the Number 5 - and he is in the engine room this week.

Let's all sit back and watch 'Brave Sir Robin' slay the Cats.....................................
There was a game against Carton at the G a few years back (possibly the draw) where Stanton squibbed one a beauty and my uncle started singing "Brave Sir Stanton ran away; bravely ran away...."
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
robrulz5
Essendon Legend

Post by robrulz5 »

j-mac31 wrote:

There was a game against Carton at the G a few years back (possibly the draw) where Stanton squibbed one a beauty and my uncle started singing "Brave Sir Stanton ran away; bravely ran away...."
The one where he heard Fev coming?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

robrulz5 wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:

The one where he heard Fev coming?
That was a disgrace.
Essendunny
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

Everytime there is a throw in or stoppage deep in our defence I just expect them to kick a goal.... we have been shit in this area for years now
Kakadu Kangaroos
Captain of the first BomberTalk International Test Squad
BT Soccer World Cup Champion
Captain of the Bombertalk Reds 3rd with 4 wins - 108.30%
(6 games) - 65 kicks, 33 marks, 52 handballs, 4 tackles, 3 Hit Outs, 2 goals