Premiership Eggs in One Basket

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Premiership Eggs in One Basket

Post by Windy_Hill »

Seriously need to think about the dreaded Rebuild.

Let's be honest, this side won't win a flag in the next 5 years by which time the solid elements of our list will also he on their last legs

Watson, Stanton, Chapman, Cooney, Fletcher, Goddard, Dempsey, Hocking will all be gone

But in Heppell, Merrett, Daniher, Hooker, Hurley, Colyer and possibly Carlisle we have a solid core around which to build.

Time to start playing the kids and by that I mean a few games in a row. Not just one game then back to the ressies.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Rebuild? Agree. What's that - about the 5th in a row now? Maybe we need a 3 year plan. Or new facilities. Or perhaps a coach for every player on the list.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

I'd been polishing my rose coloured glasses all season, in the belief our team actually can be very good, and sooner or later they'd show it. But finally, tonight, I now see clearly. We're a wreck, and we need to look at 5 years from now. Won't say rebuild, because I think we do still do have talent, but this list isn't going to achieve anything.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Its time for all of us to take off our rose coloured glasses. We are a train wreck. I am not going to point fingers or blame anyone one person but everyone is responsible from the top to the bottom. Tonight was an absolute shocker, we have West Coast at home and then Hawthorn. We are so far behind the eight ball, tonight was a real eye opener. Its crunch time.

Three years ago before asada now the wada mess, the club were looking at the premiership window of opportunity, tonight it slammed shut with a hell of a thud. It was almost deafening. Its time to consider a rebuild before we hit rock bottom. The way we are going, we are highly likely to lose to both Melbourne and St. Kilda unless changes are made. Not changing anything and hoping for the best is not a wise option. The Members and Supporters are not mushrooms please don't treat us like we are. It feels like there's more bad news on the horizon and that's the way the players play. They seem to be the club's barometer of harmony or the opposite.

I don't know whether James Hird has it in him to be a mongrel with the players and rev them up, after all they have been through together. Maybe we start playing the kids and get some game time into them. It won't be pretty but all clubs have to do it sooner or later.

I love this club, win, lose or draw it doesn't matter but we need to get through this mess and clean up as we go. Look after the players and lets hope it doesn't get any worse.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

tonysoprano wrote:Rebuild? Agree. What's that - about the 5th in a row now? Maybe we need a 3 year plan. Or new facilities. Or perhaps a coach for every player on the list.
Well the Soviet Union had so many 5 year plans until they got it right .... oh wait!
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

The experiment has failed.

Time for a bit more pain this year. Play the kids and see how many we can find to take over this older brigade.

We still have enough of a decent core to play finals next year if we get things right over the off season. Must get another genuine mid via whatever method.
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

mdso wrote:Its time for all of us to take off our rose coloured glasses. We are a train wreck. I am not going to point fingers or blame anyone one person but everyone is responsible from the top to the bottom. Tonight was an absolute shocker, we have West Coast at home and then Hawthorn. We are so far behind the eight ball, tonight was a real eye opener. Its crunch time.

Three years ago before asada now the wada mess, the club were looking at the premiership window of opportunity, tonight it slammed shut with a hell of a thud. It was almost deafening. Its time to consider a rebuild before we hit rock bottom. The way we are going, we are highly likely to lose to both Melbourne and St. Kilda unless changes are made. Not changing anything and hoping for the best is not a wise option. The Members and Supporters are not mushrooms please don't treat us like we are. It feels like there's more bad news on the horizon and that's the way the players play. They seem to be the club's barometer of harmony or the opposite.

I don't know whether James Hird has it in him to be a mongrel with the players and rev them up, after all they have been through together. Maybe we start playing the kids and get some game time into them. It won't be pretty but all clubs have to do it sooner or later.

I love this club, win, lose or draw it doesn't matter but we need to get through this mess and clean up as we go. Look after the players and lets hope it doesn't get any worse.
Yep - agree with everything said here.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

BERT wrote:When you get whacked with draft sanctions, and Gold Coast and GWS get a couple of free hits at all the kids you don't have much choice other than go the recycled plan. Goddard has been great for us.

With free agency you can go back up the ladder pretty quickly and I don't think our drafting has been that bad since we took Hurley. There are always misses but we have been pretty good the last 5 or so years.
Agreed, not much we could do in our situation im afraid. We have done very well to find kids like Merrett and entice former superstars Cooney and Goddard to our club amidst the chaos! Yes we may suffer over the next few years or then again we may not! This years draft/trade period is super important to get right
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

The only problem with going full rebuild is that even if we just kick out everyone over 26, we'd still have enough talent to not get top 3 draft picks.

I do think at the end of this year though we should be looking to trade some of our older guys like Stanton and Dempsey. Yes, we may only get a couple of extra 2nd or 3rd round picks, but at least we'd be opening up spots in the team for younger guys, might find a good player and will speed up the list turnover.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

In a nutshell, play the kids this year, forget all shreds of sentimentality, bust open the money box and get the dimes out!