Hard to read but a fair summary

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Hard to read but a fair summary

Post by Flip »

This is a broken team. This is a team that appears incapable of being fixed by the man in charge, the man who was in charge when they were broken.

This is a team that appears unable to go forward while the man who anchors them to that past remains in control.

Regardless of your view of what happened at Essendon and who was to blame for what took place then, what is taking place now is plainly a matter James Hird must take responsibility for.

Forget for a moment what has taken place off the field. The team has won four games and lost nine. They will miss the finals. Again. They have lost by one of the worst margins in the club's history. Against last year's wooden spooners. On their captain's 200th game. This is a team playing without purpose, direction or passion.

Standing by Hird was a somewhat easier proposition when the fight was in court and the only doubt was on whether the team would get on the field, not what would happen once they were allowed to get there.

That is not the case now. Standing by Hird when the team plays like the lost, uninterested, disorganised rabble they did on Sunday is a harder proposition."

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl ... i5mw4.html
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Re: Hard to read but a fair summary

Post by BERT »

How would all of this be fixed if the coach goes?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Perhaps he can go on another overseas trip this week. But this time, take the team with him...
Essendunny
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip »

BERT wrote:How would all of this be fixed if the coach goes?
Bertie, the team is not playing for the Coach....sticks out like dogs balls....BJ and Jobe had one effective possie between them....don't care if it is AFL or Manangatang 3rds, if the Coach loses the players, its all over.

Why did he lose them? Any number of reasons but you'd have to think maybe this scenario is perhaps prevalent:

1. You beauty!! We're found innocent!!
2. View first 3 weeks playing unencumbered.
3. WADA
4. Form and attitude since.

Since the start of the ASADA disaster, the CEO is gone, the President is gone, Hamilton, Corcoran, Bomber, Robinson etc etc

You are a player with a max on average 10 year earning potential and this corrupt saga continues and there is only one guy still standing and he is coaching right in your face daily. Join the dots.

Whether it is front of mind or subconsciously, there may be some residual resentment against Hirdy. Rightly or wrongly as I believe James would never cheat.

So when he goes and I think he will, a new face, untarnished with all the shite, can regroup the players mentally and emotionally and refresh the attitude.....and hopefully stop a possible exodus of required stars end of season.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

changing the coach might not fix anything, but keeping him sure aint fixing anything either.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

Exodus of required stars?

I kept a straight face until then.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Spot on.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:
Spot on.
Is it? It might just be the start of the fixing...
Essendunny
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

BenDoolan wrote:
Sismis wrote:
Spot on.
That's a f****** big might.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Sismis wrote:
Spot on.
That's a f****** big might.
Yeah, just like the f****** big might that is fixing the Saints, the Bulldogs and WCE...
Essendunny
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

Did it fix the saints when Watters took over.
How about the Crows when Sando took over.
Doggies with Mcarthy
How about Eade and the Suns.
Are the Blues now on the right track or is it just a few weeks of excitement against mid ranged teams when there first 10 weeks were against top 8 sides and they were right for the picking.

I don't know about everyone else but when did the Dogs and Saints become blueprints? They've had a bit of joy for a few months yet could go back to where they were in 12 months.

f*** me this knee jerk stuff is laughable.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

BenDoolan wrote:Perhaps he can go on another overseas trip this week. But this time, take the team with him...
I'd like to see that it would put the AFL into an absolute frenzy.
Last edited by mdso on Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

kelvin_sheedy wrote:Did it fix the saints when Watters took over.
Doggies with Mcarthy
Are the Blues now on the right track or is it just a few weeks of excitement against mid ranged teams when there first 10 weeks were against top 8 sides and they were right for the picking.

I don't know about everyone else but when did the Dogs and Saints become blueprints? They've had a bit of joy for a few months yet could go back to where they were in 12 months.

Are we "fixed" after Knights was sacked?

f*** me some c**** are so f****** dumb.
Essendunny
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

Nothing really knee-jerk about it Kelvin.

We had something going (supplements!) in 2012, but fell in a heap due to injury.

2013 played some inspired football at times under duress, but again seemed to fatigue (our were bullied into fatigue), and then had our finals spot gifted to Carlton.

2014 could only play a quarter or a half here or there, and somehow found a way to lose a final after leading by 6 goals at the half - but hey, that had happened about half a dozen times already that year, so glossed over.

2015 - inspirational win v Hawks, lucky win v Saints, dumb football on ANZAC day, some solid efforts without reward (e.g. vs North), but then a downward spiral until the "Nadir" (cheers Windy :wink: ) over the weekend. In fact I still reckon we are lucky not to be 2-11.

We have been getting worse, not better. Something's gotta give.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

BenDoolan wrote:
Doggies with Mcarthy

Disagreeing with your opinion = dumb?

bendoolan logic, kneejerk reaction regarding Knights didn't work so we should do it again?
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

BenDoolan wrote:
Doggies with Mcarthy

Whoahh horsey, settle down. What came first the chicken or the egg? The playing list or the coach?
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

tonysoprano wrote:Nothing really knee-jerk about it Kelvin.

We had something going (supplements!) in 2012, but fell in a heap due to injury.

2013 played some inspired football at times under duress, but again seemed to fatigue (our were bullied into fatigue), and then had our finals spot gifted to Carlton.

2014 could only play a quarter or a half here or there, and somehow found a way to lose a final after leading by 6 goals at the half - but hey, that had happened about half a dozen times already that year, so glossed over.

2015 - inspirational win v Hawks, lucky win v Saints, dumb football on ANZAC day, some solid efforts without reward (e.g. vs North), but then a downward spiral until the "Nadir" (cheers Windy :wink: ) over the weekend. In fact I still reckon we are lucky not to be 2-11.

We have been getting worse, not better. Something's gotta give.
Don't disagree in terms of where we are going. Its been a slow spiral down since the start of 2014 end of 2013. If anyone has been watching our football for the last few years we have become a pedestrian outfit.

The arse end has fallen out from about round 4. Watson has had 4 games under 20 touches since Round 6. unprecedented.

Something is going on with these guys that we may not understand. We need to cut them some slack for now. They are all sticking together and we must also.

You can have a down year, look like poo, get some draft picks and reset for the next year.

We may get a chance for the first time in a long time to get a top 4 pick in the AFL draft.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Sismis wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Doggies with Mcarthy

bendoolan logic, kneejerk reaction regarding Knights didn't work so we should do it again?
That's right, you're the clown that was upset at Knights being sacked.

Sismislogic, let's keep the status quo because there's no way of knowing if change is better...
Essendunny
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

I'm losing valuable IQ points reading this shit..
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

BenDoolan wrote:
Sismis wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
Doggies with Mcarthy

That's right, you're the clown that was upset at Knights being sacked.

Sismislogic, let's keep the status quo because there's no way of knowing if change is better...
Weighing up known impacts (e.g. financial) V hypothetical benefits is illogical to you?