Bombers V Dogs

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Re: Bombers V Dogs

Post by Sismis »

Hurley out apparently ...
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Sismis wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:
Gimps wrote:Gleeson, Steinberg and Edwards (due to being sub last week) out.
If Edwards gets dropped they can get f*****
Yep, I double that.
triple f***** getting.
Told yas he'd get dropped.

McKernan and Hurley out due to injury.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Gimps wrote:
Sismis wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:
Yep, I double that.
triple f***** getting.

He may be out due to soreness.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Pears in... interesting...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Gimps wrote:
Sismis wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
bomberdonnie wrote:
Yep, I double that.
triple f***** getting.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Essendunny
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Careful BD don't want to boo too loudly :roll:
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Final team:

Backs: Hooker, Steinberg, Baguley, Goddard, Carlisle, Hibberd
Mids: Heppell, O'Brien, Stanton
Forwards: Langford, Laverde, Melksham, Cooney, Daniher, J.Merrett

Followers: Giles, Zaharakis, Z.Merrett

Interchange: Ambrose, Gleeson, Gwilt and Browne

IN: Giles, Carlisle, Melksham, Cooney

OUT: McKernan (omitted), Hurley (Knee), Edwards (omitted) and Howlett (omitted)
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Royza wrote:Final team:

Backs: Hooker, Steinberg, Baguley, Goddard, Carlisle, Hibberd
Mids: Heppell, O'Brien, Stanton
Forwards: Langford, Laverde, Melksham, Cooney, Daniher, J.Merrett

Followers: Giles, Zaharakis, Z.Merrett

Interchange: Ambrose, Gleeson, Gwilt and Browne

IN: Giles, Carlisle, Melksham, Cooney

OUT: McKernan (omitted), Hurley (Knee), Edwards (omitted) and Howlett (omitted)
We're f******.
A forward line and interchange as slow as that! Against the dogs? (not saying the mids and backs are fast, but I'm imagining the rebound from our F50)
Can I please have Edwards IN and Ambrose OUT at the very least??
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Do we have to accept that we are simply not out there to win any more games this year. The selection (again) of Gleeson and Ambrose in preference to Edwards just doesn't make sense.

I would have thought that just occasionally, a team would be selected on merit with a view to actually kicking a winning score.

Surely the long suffering fan base deserves a few crumbs from the table to help us keep the faith.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
hop
Club Captain

Post by hop »

There hasn't been merit based selection since the Anzac Day game.

Belcho had been left in while McKernan and Giles were left out - Ambrose keeps getting a game - Fletcher and Watson both injured but they exploited the fact that they were approaching a milestones and made them play injured - not to be seen again. And we keep being told how wonderful Stanton's leadership has been in lieu of so many senior players being out - when he should have been dropped in 2009!

But we all look forward to Myers and Hocking coming back in a week or two :roll:

This season has been a train wreck from Anzac Day onwards.
My material isn't very good..Oh...and then there's the bladder problem.
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

rockhole wrote:Do we have to accept that we are simply not out there to win any more games this year. The selection (again) of Gleeson and Ambrose in preference to Edwards just doesn't make sense.

I would have thought that just occasionally, a team would be selected on merit with a view to actually kicking a winning score.

Surely the long suffering fan base deserves a few crumbs from the table to help us keep the faith.
What has Edwards done in Vfl or Afl to warrant selection? Sweet FA.

Laverde and Langford are kids getting games ahead of him. Ditto Jackson Merrett.

He's a 5th year player in the AFL system getting out performed at VFL level by 2 first year guys.

His efforts make Stanton look like Michael Voss
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip »

Yeah right. :roll:
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

rockhole wrote:Do we have to accept that we are simply not out there to win any more games this year. The selection (again) of Gleeson and Ambrose in preference to Edwards just doesn't make sense.

Hird says he's selecting player on form. But he is not - Ambrose, Gleeson and Melksham have been rubbish this year. Cooney hasn't been very good after the first two games. Edwards has actually looked like a dangerous forward.

I would ignore form to some extent, given that the season is finished. But that means playing younger guys, not going back to hacks. Also the team has actually put up a decent effort the past few weeks.

I'm not happy.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

kelvin_sheedy wrote:

Laverde and Langford are kids getting games ahead of him. Ditto Jackson Merrett.

He's a 5th year player in the AFL system getting out performed at VFL level by 2 first year guys.

Can you explain this...

VFL:
S. Edwards 7 games, 68 kicks, 45 handballs, 39 marks, 20 tackles, 9 goals
K. Langford 7 games, 54 kicks, 45 handballs, 35 marks, 28 tackles, 6 goals
J. Laverde 9 games, 74 kicks, 55 handballs, 49 marks, 36 tackles, 5 goals

And while you're at it, explain how someone is supposed to "do something" when they spend 3 quarters of a game sitting on their arse with a green vest on?

I would think kicking half a dozen goals from the very limited opportunities in his 5 AFL games so far is decent contribution.
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

kelvin_sheedy wrote:

I can only agree with the Stanton comparison - Jerrett has show SFA so far.
BUT, I'm prepared to cut him some slack and give him a decent chance to demonstrate whatever the selectors faith in him is for.
Ambrose though - has had ample opportunity, and delivered zilch.
Edwards, Laverde and Langford are entitled to reasonable opportunity to show their value at AFL level - I'll pass judgement when they've had similar opportunity as Ambrose.
And since Gleeson's name has been mentioned in this thread - he also has had plenty of opportunity, which I'd like to be seen given to others like Dalgleish or Ashby, so we can really see which is the better prospect. Gleeson has been OK (just) but let's see if the others might not be better.
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

BenDoolan wrote:
kelvin_sheedy wrote:

Can you explain this...

VFL:

And while you're at it, explain how someone is supposed to "do something" when they spend 3 quarters of a game sitting on their arse with a green vest on?

I would think kicking half a dozen goals from the very limited opportunities in his 5 AFL games so far is decent contribution.
If you are using basic raw stats then you have to say that Stanton is our best player over the past 5 years in the AFL. :P

Edwards had 1 big game in a 100 point win to inflate his stats with 4 goals. His efforts for a 5th year player in the AFL system haven't been good enough. First year players have shown a more rounded game.

You can't berate Stants for his effort & courage then turn a blind eye to the performances of Edwards which are much much worse.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

kelvin_sheedy wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
kelvin_sheedy wrote:

Can you explain this...

VFL:

If you are using basic raw stats then you have to say that Stanton is our best player over the past 5 years in the AFL. :P

Edwards had 1 big game in a 100 point win to inflate his stats with 4 goals. His efforts for a 5th year player in the AFL system haven't been good enough. First year players have shown a more rounded game.

You can't berate Stants for his effort & courage then turn a blind eye to the performances of Edwards which are much much worse.
I can berate Stants because he is a 240 game veteran who has nothing to show for it. I was a Stanton "defender" on this board for many seasons while he was young and developing. He was always heavily critisized for his disposal and fact that he was nothing but a receiver. A bad combo to have - only running around to receive the ball but then butchering it. Still, I stuck by him. He'll come good, he's only 21, 22, 23 etc. Now he's 29 and just running around in the same old fashion and delivering donuts.

Shaun Edwards is 21. Refer to the above comments re Stanton. He's played off half back in the VFL and a high forward. Hardly high possession areas of the field compared to Stanton. He's come into the AFL team and done good things. Have you noticed his disposal Kelvin? For instance, how is his kicking for goal? And then ask yourself, how has the team performed in that area this year.

I would rather Edwards get a game for the rest of the year than Stanton running around calling for the ball and doing nothing of significance with it.
Essendunny
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

THE STEWIE CRAMERY SHOW!!! How bloody predictable was it....annoyed NO END.
Image]
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

f***. OFF. STANTON.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

God we are embarrassingly poor today...any chance we can make a tackle stick? Take a mark? Actually keep up with opposition playears. Running rings around us IN ALL Areas. GAME OVER.
Image]