Who Will Be The New EFC Coach?

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.

Who Will Be The New EFC Coach?

Simon Lloyd
8%
John Worsfold
61%
Guy McKenna
8%
Nathan Bassett
No votes
Stuart Dew
11%
Scott Burns
No votes
Blake Caracella
6%
Matthew Egan
6%

Total votes: 36

Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: Who Will Be The New EFC Coach?

Post by Windy_Hill »

Worsfold is a 46 yr old Premiership coach. He's hardly at retiring age and premiership coaches can't be content sitting in the background.

He wants to coach again..

As sure as the sun comes up.

He will get at least 750k salary.

You can put your house on him being at Essendon next year.
ZeroEffect
On the Rookie List

Post by ZeroEffect »

He's already at Adelaide and they happen to be looking for a coach too.. Hope your renting Windy
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

ZeroEffect wrote:He's already at Adelaide and they happen to be looking for a coach too.. Hope your renting Windy
And that means what exactly? He isn't the crows coach and if he wants either job he will go through the process...
Flip
Regular Senior Player

Post by Flip »

Windy_Hill wrote:Worsfold is a 46 yr old Premiership coach. He's hardly at retiring age and premiership coaches can't be content sitting in the background.

He wants to coach again..

As sure as the sun comes up.

He will get at least 750k salary.

You can put your house on him being at Essendon next year.
:wink:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Let's see....if you were John Worsfold and wanted to coach again, who would YOU choose?

Adelaide - he's currently there and knows the players. He most likely knows the administration and the culture. He probably gets a real sense of stability at the club. He certainly gets a feeling of optimism with the club playing finals this year. He knows what it's like to coach in a two team State.

Essendon - he's aware of the turmoil the club is in. WADA breathing down the players neck. Players are out of breath. Players want to leave. The club culture is shithouse. The administration is equally shithouse. Optimism doesn't live here.

:-"
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote:Let's see....if you were John Worsfold and wanted to coach again, who would YOU choose?

Adelaide - he's currently there and knows the players. He most likely knows the administration and the culture. He probably gets a real sense of stability at the club. He certainly gets a feeling of optimism with the club playing finals this year. He knows what it's like to coach in a two team State.

Essendon - he's aware of the turmoil the club is in. WADA breathing down the players neck. Players are out of breath. Players want to leave. The club culture is shithouse. The administration is equally shithouse. Optimism doesn't live here.

Hard to argue with that BD, except I'd suggest this stuff is decided more on emotion than logic.
If logic was a qualifier, no-one would want a full-time senior coach role.
Someone like Worsfold may well want the challenge EFC represents.
I think he'd be a good 'fit'. There may be better ones, but I don't pay enough attention to know who they might be.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

I wouldn't be adverse to a coach being appointed for one year just to settle the horses and develop the kids.

And no - its not Sheedy (like some rumors are flying about).
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

After two games in the seat, Egan is coming across as honest and no nonsense.
I'm beginning to warm to the idea of just keeping him, at least until the dust settles anyway.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

billyduckworth wrote:After two games in the seat, Egan is coming across as honest and no nonsense.
I'm beginning to warm to the idea of just keeping him, at least until the dust settles anyway.
We need a coach with sufficient gravitas to pull this group from their current malaise. Egan does not possess the required gravitas, or anything like it.

We need someone who is familiar with the playing group but has no preexisting relationship with them. Someone who, to date, has no connection with the club. Someone who can come in and say "David Zaharakis, you might be a senior player and have a big reputation, but until you put your head over the ball you are playing in the reserves. Come and see me in a month's time."
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

gringo wrote:
billyduckworth wrote:After two games in the seat, Egan is coming across as honest and no nonsense.
We need a coach with sufficient gravitas to pull this group from their current malaise. Egan does not possess the required gravitas, or anything like it.

We need someone who is familiar with the playing group but has no preexisting relationship with them. Someone who, to date, has no connection with the club. Someone who can come in and say "David Zaharakis, you might be a senior player and have a big reputation, but until you put your head over the ball you are playing in the reserves. Come and see me in a month's time."
Bingo Gringo
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

I see your point. So who actually fits that description - is familiar with our list and yet is not connected with us in any way??
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

billyduckworth wrote:I see your point. So who actually fits that description - is familiar with our list and yet is not connected with us in any way??
You'd hope any prospective AFL coach would keep track of most it not all players on an AFL list.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

gringo wrote:

Yeah, not automatically picking Zachariah, Melksham, Stanton and Dempsey every week would be a start to some improvement.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

BenDoolan wrote:Let's see....if you were John Worsfold and wanted to coach again, who would YOU choose?

Depends if its Campo who is getting the players(Adelaide) up?

He is going well apparently.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

Coaching Selection Panel is Lindsay Tanner, Chris Heffernan, Xavier Campbell, Neale Daniher, Brad Sewell and Craig Bellamy
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Exactly Ben and I agree, every year coaches are sacked and every person wanting to be an AFL coach lives with the knowing if they get the position they could probably be next but; it doesn't stop them wanting to coach or them eventually being sacked. Very FEW coaches get to call it on their own terms.

We are an absolute basket case, it will be a brave person who takes on this challenge.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

The Panel!!

· Xavier Campbell - CEO

· Chris Heffernan – Essendon Football Director and Premiership Player (2000)

· Lisa Lawry - General Manager of People and Culture

· Neale Daniher - Essendon Captain, Melbourne Coach (1998 -2007), and GM Football Operations West Coast Eagles (2008 – 2013)

· Brad Sewell – Hawthorn Premiership Player (2008 and 2013) and AFLPA Board Member
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I was only a couple of people off.
Gimps
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gimps »

Talking Footy reported Bellamy being on the panel, but mention of him in the email I received from the club.
little_ripper
Club Captain

Post by little_ripper »

BERT wrote:Coaching Selection Panel is Lindsay Tanner, Chris Heffernan, Xavier Campbell, Neale Daniher, Brad Sewell and Craig Bellamy
Reckon that puts Lloydy's brother at longer odds?