Foxtel

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
Filthy

Foxtel

Post by Filthy »

Looks like they've got 4 games a week. :evil:

I may have to swallow re Murdoch my pride and buy their bloody package as it would appear we won't be FTA much due to our "bad" 2 years.

Anyone know if do a footy only package as I don't their other shit?
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

I'm guessing they will just add the Footy to Foxsports 3
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

When did this get announced? Or is it just a rumour (again)....
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I'm pretty happy they have got it. It's great for people living in NSW. Will finally get Friday night games live and another 4 games live. If you live in NSW or QLD we will get all 8 games live.

I can understand people who can't afford FOXTEL being upset about losing 1 game from the last deal but you can always wander down to a pub and watch the games.

Staggy. It was reported in Todays Age.

Foxtel wins in AFL carve-up
Caroline Wilson
February 6, 2007

VICTORIAN football fans will see a reduction in free-to-air television coverage from this season, with pay TV network Foxtel emerging as the unofficial winner of the battle to carve up the AFL television fixture.

After 12 months of often bitter negotiations with Channels Seven and Ten, Foxtel is expected to announce this week that it has secured half the competition's home-and-away games over the next five years.

In a deal brokered in the final stages by AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou last Friday, and to be signed in the next 48 hours, Foxtel will pay Seven and Ten $50 million this season and an indexed amount each year until 2011 for a significantly increased number of exclusive games and new regular timeslots.

Channels Seven and Ten finally relented to the pay TV provider following an undertaking by Foxtel to provide an annual $10 million of advertising and marketing, easing the load on the free-to-air networks.

Seven's first choice commentary team of Bruce McAvaney and Dennis Cometti will now call both the Friday night and 2pm Sunday fixtures, with Tim Watson and David Schwartz doing special comments.

Without the Foxtel deal, Seven would have been forced to televise four AFL games a week - providing a bonus for fans, but a headache for the network, which would have faced serious clashes with its new V8 Supercars contract and a potential lengthy court battle with the AFL over its attempt to televise Friday night games into Sydney and Brisbane on community Channel 31.

Seven and Ten were also reluctant to telecast rival games in direct competition with each other on Saturday nights - a prospect also eliminated by the Foxtel deal after the AFL had refused their joint push to relax the Saturday night fixture.

The AFL's broadcasting sub-committee was due to meet yesterday over the Channel 31 issue, a problem which is now certainly redundant.

Foxtel will televise its matches on the Fox Sports Three channel and on Austar in some regional areas of Australia.

In a major coup for the pay TV network, it will get to alternate with Channel Ten in having first pick of the two weekly Saturday afternoon games, and will also gain significant momentum in its push into South Australia and Western Australia.

Foxtel will televise live and exclusive twilight games every Sunday during the season and has also gained an unprecedented four live fixtures into Adelaide and Perth respectively involving local teams. In the past those games had to be shown free-to-air.

Foxtel has also achieved a deal for an annual outlay of $10 million less each year than Seven and Ten had previously insisted on.

With the AFL fixture to be announced just 15 days before the opening of the NAB pre-season competition, Foxtel will also gain access to an exclusive pre-season semi-final.

The biggest change for Victorian fans will be a reduction in the number of free-to-air games each week from five to four, with the early Sunday afternoon game - previously telecast by Channel Nine - now going exclusively to Foxtel. The pay TV operator will also televise Sunday twilight games.

But the AFL has refused Foxtel's demand for a guaranteed fixture on each weekend of the June split round, along with the network's bid to rid its matches of ground signs involving competitors such as Optus.

With Ten and Foxtel splitting the Saturday afternoon games and alternating each round with the first choice of the two, Channel Ten will then show the best Saturday night fixture with Foxtel televising the other Saturday night game.

Seven's AFL boss Ian Johnson said his network would now work to produce a weeknight football program and he would not rule out scheduling it on Thursday night against Nine's The Footy Show.

With Clinton Grybas, the former face of the Fox Footy Channel, now expected to return to that network and former Nine commentators such as Brian Taylor and Dwayne Russell in the mix but not yet guaranteed positions, Johnson denied the delay in securing a deal had hurt the job prospects of football commentators and production staff.

"I have told every AFL talent manager that I don't want to stand in the way of anyone doing a deal with a rival network," he said.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

This deal has been "done" about 4 or 5 times. I won't believe a word of it until the papers are actually signed.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

I would be confident that one has been signed. There was whispers last week that it was done and the hold up was that all parties legal teams were going over the contract.
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

looks like i'll have to upgrade my package to digital
'51 Bewick

Post by '51 Bewick »

I have just called Foxtel re getting connected. They quoted me a basic price plus a basic + AFL footy price. They wouldn't be doing that unless they know they have the product.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

Looks like I'll have to get Foxtel now...especially now that they will be showing live local games here in Perth...I wouldn't be surprised to get home tonight and find out my wife has already organised it (bloody eagles supporter ](*,) )
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
Leigh
Top Up Player

Post by Leigh »

i was getting excited about being able to watch every Essendon game on Free to air as i dont have FOX.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BOO!
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Suits me fine, although I can imagine it'd piss people off who don't have Fox and are now looking down the barrel, especially seeing as people's hopes were raised that all 8 games would be on free-to-air. Foxtel footy coverage rocks - no ads for whole quarters at a time, and Gerard Healy and Clinton Grybas calling the action. Matt Campbell is annoying sometimes, but generally I find their commentary and coverage good, particularly their special comments guys (Healy, Carey and Peter 'Filthy' Wilson).
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

'51 Bewick wrote:I have just called Foxtel re getting connected. They quoted me a basic price plus a basic + AFL footy price. They wouldn't be doing that unless they know they have the product.

bewick, what was the cost for the most basic package with AFL?
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

'51 Bewick wrote:I have just called Foxtel re getting connected. They quoted me a basic price plus a basic + AFL footy price. They wouldn't be doing that unless they know they have the product.
I wouldn't have thought they would have an AFL specific package, given that Fox Footy has died (and to my knowledge is not getting resurrected).

That would mean that it would be a basic package + the sport channels, which would get you Fox Sports 3 (where the AFL is going to be shown) amongst others.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

It's between $50-$55 a month for basic with the sports channels.
bomberdonnie
Champion of Essendon

Post by bomberdonnie »

jimmyc1985 wrote:Suits me fine, although I can imagine it'd piss people off who don't have Fox and are now looking down the barrel, especially seeing as people's hopes were raised that all 8 games would be on free-to-air. Foxtel footy coverage rocks - no ads for whole quarters at a time, and Gerard Healy and Clinton Grybas calling the action. Matt Campbell is annoying sometimes, but generally I find their commentary and coverage good, particularly their special comments guys (Healy, Carey and Peter 'Filthy' Wilson).
Channel 7 have also promised no ads after goals or during quarters which will be a massive relief from the crap that 9 served up.

Not sure I can handle Bruce and Luuuuuurrrrrvvvvveeee for all men in tight shorts for too long though!!
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

BERT wrote:It's between $50-$55 a month for basic with the sports channels.
Just cant justify that when the only foxtel program i want is the essendon game each week :x

looks like im back down the pub
48.2 sismis to ZRS, SIX, ???!!! Its coming towards the commentary box Im leaving!!!
48.3 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Who needs Bradman when weve got ZRS
48.4 sismis to ZRS, FOUR, Brillian cover drive by ZRS
48.6 sismis to ZRS, SIX, Display of Raw power and brutality by ZRS
'51 Bewick

Post by '51 Bewick »

ZRS wrote:

bewick, what was the cost for the most basic package with AFL?
$52.90 (Sorry for taking so long to respond). :D
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Finally, definitely, absolutely done deal:

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/sh ... D=00691716
Under the agreement announced today, FOXTEL will sub-license exclusive rights to four
games per round during the home and away season and will have replay rights to all games,
including the finals. These games will screen on FOXTEL and AUSTAR via Fox Sports.
In consideration for those rights, FOXTEL will pay to the Seven and TEN networks $315.5
million over five years, comprising $50 million in cash for the first year with an increase of 3%
compounding each year, plus $10m in contra advertising annually.
AUSTAR is making a direct contribution to FOXTEL to assist it in meeting the annual
financial and contra obligations. Fox Sports is responsible for production costs associated
with subscription television’s live four game coverage and will also share FOXTEL’s contra
obligation with AUSTAR.
The Seven Network will broadcast one Friday night and one Sunday afternoon game in each
of the home and away season rounds.
Network Ten will broadcast one Saturday afternoon and evening game each round.
The finals will be broadcast live on Seven and TEN. Network Ten will have the exclusive
live broadcast of the 2007 Grand Final, while Seven will telecast the 2007 Brownlow Medal
Count.
FOXTEL and AUSTAR's four home and away season games will include a Saturday
afternoon and evening match in each round as well as a Sunday afternoon and the new
Sunday twilight match. In addition, FOXTEL and AUSTAR will broadcast Friday night AFL
games into NSW, QLD and the ACT each week, for the first time delivering live coverage to
many viewers in those regions.
FOXTEL and AUSTAR will enjoy replay rights to every game of every round of the season,
including the finals.
The agreement also covers the pre-season NAB Cup. Networks Seven and TEN will
broadcast half the games while FOXTEL and AUSTAR will broadcast half. Subscription
television will also broadcast one semi-final exclusively live, with the remaining pre-season
finals broadcast by the Seven and TEN networks.
Great win for Fox subscribers. 4 games per round and replay rights to every game.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

OK two reasons why I think this is bad, apart from me not being able to see all of Essendon's games:

1. Sposorship: Surely the potential big sponsors are going to look at how many FTA games a team has before they decide to sponsor or not. Crap teams are on Foxtel more, so may miss out on sponsors sometimes, which would hurt the club as it tries to climb back up the ladder and/or start making some/more profit.

2. People not in urban areas: A bloke rang SEN yesterday who doesn't live in the Melbourne suburbs (didn't catch where it was he lived). He can't get cable, because he's too far from Melbourne (I've got relos living only in Officer and they have the same problem). He can only get satelite Foxtel. For the basic package (no sport) this cost $69. It's another $15 for sport! So instead of paying "only" $55 a month for footy, he has to pay $84. I people complain about not being able to pay $55, how many more will be anaible to afford $84!?
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.