Stanton and Dempsey stay

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Re: Stanton and Dempsey stay

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Senior midfielders that average 25 touches aren't just exactly lying around at our club.

Though on a more serious note, senior midfielders who have an absurd work ethic and provide a ridiculously good example on how to train and behave off field like a senior professional footballer whilst still racking up touches and has conceded he will play VFL most likely for second half are even rarer.
This is why were are a laughing stock. We love assembling a list resembling a social club rather than a football club. Rewarding him two years because of his "work ethic"? Setting a "good example on how to train"? Sign him up as a coach, not as a footballer.

You know as well as I do, "racking up touches" means absolutely jack shit when it doesn't equate to scoring opportunities, or when his opponent is racking up more damaging touches going the other way.

It amazes me that some think the club owes him a living.
You don't believe having someone who works as hard as him around to mentor the kids is a good thing?
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Senior midfielders that average 25 touches aren't just exactly lying around at our club.

Though on a more serious note, senior midfielders who have an absurd work ethic and provide a ridiculously good example on how to train and behave off field like a senior professional footballer whilst still racking up touches and has conceded he will play VFL most likely for second half are even rarer.
This is why were are a laughing stock. We love assembling a list resembling a social club rather than a football club. Rewarding him two years because of his "work ethic"? Setting a "good example on how to train"? Sign him up as a coach, not as a footballer.

You know as well as I do, "racking up touches" means absolutely jack shit when it doesn't equate to scoring opportunities, or when his opponent is racking up more damaging touches going the other way.

You don't believe having someone who works as hard as him around to mentor the kids is a good thing?
FFS, is he the only one that works hard????

Anyway, if it's so important, sign him up as an assistant coach or a trainer for that. And if others haven't got the work ethic of a professional footballer, then his "mentoring" hasn't really done much over the last 12 years on the list...
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

Anyway, if it's so important, sign him up as an assistant coach or a trainer for that. And if others haven't got the work ethic of a professional footballer, then his "mentoring" hasn't really done much over the last 12 years on the list...
No but in any event I don't think getting rid of the bloke who consistently finishes top 5 and had his best season statistically is a great idea if he's realistic about his role and happy to be on the list for depth.

Agree to disagree Benny? We could do this for pages. :lol:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

No but in any event I don't think getting rid of the bloke who consistently finishes top 5 and had his best season statistically is a great idea if he's realistic about his role and happy to be on the list for depth.

Noted :lol:
Essendunny
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Spot on Ben Doolan. The "Old Boys" club.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Put them both on the Board on $half a mill each. Would be better for us. :(
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

BenDoolan wrote:

If you are having a crack at Essendon being a "social club", I'd start with the appointment of James Hird as coach...
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
kelvin_sheedy
Top Up Player

Post by kelvin_sheedy »

boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

Top 5? Do you mean the B&F?

Just to clarify, he hasn't been in the top 5 for average points per game in the last 5 years and has barely scraped into the 10 on a few ocassions. He's just been lucky he hasn't missed many games pushing him higher than others. He was 7th this year and missed the top 10 last year.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

gringo wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

If you are having a crack at Essendon being a "social club", I'd start with the appointment of James Hird as coach...
But Hird (and others) don't clog up the playing list. It wouldn't worry me if they had 22 social club members in the coaches box as long as they assemble a good football playing list.
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

kelvin_sheedy wrote:

Just to clarify, he hasn't been in the top 5 for average points per game in the last 5 years and has barely scraped into the 10 on a few ocassions. He's just been lucky he hasn't missed many games pushing him higher than others. He was 7th this year and missed the top 10 last year.
What the hell are you on about? He's not top 5 for average points? As in scoreboard?

What are you clarifying? To clarify would mean I've made a mistake, where did I even mention this "average points" you are on about?
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

boncer34 wrote:
kelvin_sheedy wrote:

What the hell are you on about? He's not top 5 for average points? As in scoreboard?

What are you clarifying? To clarify would mean I've made a mistake, where did I even mention this "average points" you are on about?
I think he meant total Crichton votes divided by games played?
(not agreeing or disagreeing - just clarifying)
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

tonysoprano wrote:
boncer34 wrote:
kelvin_sheedy wrote:

I think he meant total Crichton votes divided by games played?
(not agreeing or disagreeing - just clarifying)
Well then use the term votes for.

But even then that's silly. So Stanton's ability to get on the park week in and out is bad?
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

BenDoolan wrote:

THIS.

Timmy, Heppell, Hurley and Hooker can set examples and are good players.
BenDoolan wrote:How about signing up a coach before signing up list cloggers.
Also this. While people bemoan the end of list guys as "list cloggers", when your team isn't very good, it's the players in the "best" 25 or 26 that are actually holding you back.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

boncer34 wrote:Stants 2 years.

Dempsey 1.
Source?
Haven't seen/heard anything confirming this, or even speculating on it.
I have a conspiracy theory that 2 forum members are enjoying this thread :wink:
Last edited by nudder12 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

nudder12 wrote:
boncer34 wrote:Stants 2 years.

Dempsey 1.
Source?
Haven't seen/heard anything confirming this, or even speculating on it.
Little birdy.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

BenDoolan wrote:

On the money BD. We've used the "good guy / good mentor" rationale so many times to hang onto or draft washed up footballers that it's truly sickening - off the top of my head as prime examples: Mark Bolton, NLM, Slattery, Skipworth. If anyone can point out to me one scintilla of lasting benefit provided by hanging onto any of those guys, i'll reconsider my position that signing Stants for 2 more years is insanity.
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

BenDoolan wrote:
gringo wrote:
BenDoolan wrote:

But Hird (and others) don't clog up the playing list. It wouldn't worry me if they had 22 social club members in the coaches box as long as they assemble a good football playing list.
I'm not so sure about that. Hird's selection of his mates in this year's team was a disgrace and severly inhibited the growth of the young players, and the club more generally.

I mean Hird was joking during his press conference following his departure that he would joke around with Zaharakis about being soft at a contest. WTF?!?!!? For a start, any player who the coach considers soft at a contest shouldn't be picked...ever. Secondly, what sort of standards was Hird imposing on his players?
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Dempsey's contract to be left until after the appointment of the new coach in mid-late October. A good sign. Stanton's contract "all-but finalised." He wants to be a one club player and is showing no interest in moving on. Word is that we might also get Dangerfield after all...from Geelong...when he is 32 years old and lost all his hair. :D
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

gringo wrote:I'm not so sure about that. Hird's selection of his mates in this year's team was a disgrace and severly inhibited the growth of the young players, and the club more generally.
Yeah, because no other coach has ever had favourites.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

So no deal for Stanton yet. Only one year on offer. Good.
Essendunny